Fitting a decent size solar panel

Big-Bang1

Visit site
I have a newly acquired Pioneer 26 and have been looking to fit a good size solar panel but can't see a sensible place to mount it on deck that won't interfere with walking on the coach roof or block light from getting through deck lights.
So, I'm thinking of a radar arch right at the stern, around 6ft high. I'm thinking I could also use it for mounting additional aerials etc. and possibly use it for supporting the tail end of a boom tent.
Has anyone done similar? If so where did you get the arch fabricated and what sort of money did it cost?

Thanks in advance.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
What about a pushpit rail mount. All that extra weight high up on 26footer might not be good! Plastimo do a mounting kit if you can't make your own

Big-Bang1

Visit site
What about a pushpit rail mount. All that extra weight high up on 26footer might not be good! Plastimo do a mounting kit if you can't make your own

That would certainly be an option - however I'd be constantly worried about the panels getting damaged by people getting and and off the boat etc - up on an arch is out of the way.

Big-Bang1

Visit site
For my 'arch' I just used straight 1"ss tubing plus canopy fittings and no welding.. Made a bed for the panels out of say 2" alloy angle. Enough world cruising yachts using this setup to have faith in its strength
Yeah I like that , plenty of options to adapt it for what I want