Fitted bed sheets

Visit site
Buy a thread injector and make your own, it takes a lot less time than you'd think. I looked into buying some a couple of years ago but the cost seemed ridiculous compared to how easy they are to make.

snowleopard

Visit site
Ditto. But if a sewing machine is beyond your resources you can probably find a local seamstress. Ask around or look in local parish magazines.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Thanks for the answers, the complication for me is that I am in the UAE until the middle of June and then want to spend the minimal possible time in the UK before heading off to the boat in Greece. I will have quite a few jobs to do in the UK anyway and was hoping for a recommendation of a supplier or even a seamstress so that atleast one of the jobs could all be done and dusted by the time I got home.

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
On my Folkboat, I've done away with having sheets per se. What I've done for a while now is to have a double duvet; one half of acts as a sheet, and the other half is acting as a duvet over the top, folded between self and the side of the hull. Imagine a very comfy sleeping bag, without any zips, made out of cotton, where it's 'tog' level can be adjusted simply, and where the 'sheets' and the 'cover' stay together when dhobied. The cost of buying a new duvet cover isn't great, and gives an endless variation of patterns and colours.
I've found that this is almost too simple to impress, but works perfectly for me!

Skylark

Visit site
Another vote for ship shape bedding. We use their vee berth shaped mattress protector and sheets. Over the top, we use two single quilts. Keeps us warm and snug, a mandatory requirement if cruising the Irish Sea.

Angele

Visit site
I have neither the time nor the inclination to do anything that involves a sewing maching, so I outsourced this just as the OP is seeking to do.

I bought a selection of fitted sheets and matress protectors and a v-shaped duvet and duvet cover from Nauteriors when I bought my boat back in 2005. Ten years on and they are still serving me well.

There was a slight hiccup with the order, because there were a couple of different cabin options for the Dufour 40 and they sent me the wrong one. They fully accepted this as their error, however, and supplied me with the correct ones entirely at their cost.

So, no qualms with either quality of product or service. This was 10 years ago, but I think it is still the same person in charge (Vanessa). http://www.nauteriors.co.uk/store/

18 months ago, after a hot summer, I decided I needed a thinner, v-shaped duvet. I got a quote from Nauteriors, but that price was beaten by Shipshape bedding (recommended in earlier posts) because the latter offer a number of standard packages, avoiding the need for "bespoking".

So, if I want fitted sheets or matress protectors again in future, I will go to Nauteriors. If a shaped duvet is needed, where the dimensions are not so critical, then it'll probably be Shipshape Bedding for me.

D

Deleted member 36384

UAE equals ridiculously low cost Indian upholsterers/tailors/seamsters. If you can get a template of your cushions they will knock up a few pairs of fitted sheets for the cost of a chapati.

jordanbasset

Visit site
UAE equals ridiculously low cost Indian upholsterers/tailors/seamsters. If you can get a template of your cushions they will knock up a few pairs of fitted sheets for the cost of a chapati.

Thanks for the idea, it is true they could do, but just transporting it back is the problem, as it is I will have to dump a lot of stuff or pay more than the cost to buy in the UK

Last edited: