Fit waste holding tank?

Alistairr

Visit site
Is it possible to fit a waste holding tank to a 38 Yacht, that currently just discharges straight out to the sea?

If so how easy is it to do, does it need an expert Plumber?

Cheers
Alistairr.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Is it possible to fit a waste holding tank to a 38 Yacht, that currently just discharges straight out to the sea?

If so how easy is it to do, does it need an expert Plumber?

Cheers
Alistairr.
I’ve done it on a 30ft boat that many people struggle to call a yacht. I’d be very surprised if it couldn’t be done on yours. I did it myself. I’m pretty practical, and own a workshop full of tools, but really needed only a hole saw, a few screwdrivers and some common sense.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It can be made as simple or complicated as you wish a lot depends on how 'handy' you are, from your question I suspect you are not of the DIY persuasion and may find the task of cutting holes and repurposing lockers not easy or to your liking.

Tranona

Visit site
There are two basic systems. The first and now most common is a gravity tank which is fitted behind and above the toilet under the deckhead. The waste from the loo outlet goes up into the tank then out of the bottom to the seacock. When required to hold the seacock is closed and opened to empty. There is also usually a connection to a pump out fitting through the side deck above the tank. The second type is a tank remotely mounted usually under a berth and waste is pumped into this and emptied through a seacock by a pump. A Y valve allows the choice of pumping to the tank or direct to sea, plus a deck pumpout is usually fitted.

The second is common on retrofits because many boats don't have a convenient space for a gravity tank but your boat does not have a convenient close by space for the tank and you would have to run hoses underneath the vanity unit into the aft cabin to a tank under the seat. This would work but is complicated. A gravity tank in the underdeck locker behind the loo looks possible and would be the simpler option. I did somewhat similar with my 37 fitting the tank into a locker which housed the water pumps and changeover valve on the bulkhead above the vanity unit. We got in a capacity of just over 40l which is reasonable. Later Bavarias with gravity tanks as standard are 60l but the loo compartment is designed around them. Long time since I looked in the locker in an Ocean, but pretty sure there is enough room. You lose the use of the locker or part of it of course.

Your first port of call for information and help on all things to do with tanks is here tek-tanks.com As you will see there are standard size bulkhead tanks and custom. You may be lucky and a standard one will fit but suspect you will need to go the custom route. Tek Tanks may already have done an installation on an Ocean, but if not they will help you plan the design of the system. My 37 tank was custom made in Greece in the same way as Tek Tanks make them.

Hope this helps - maybe worth posting on the Bavaria forum as well because a member may have already been through the process

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
...a 30ft boat that many people struggle to call a yacht...
I don't give a hoot about what people call boats. There are bragging platforms for those who need them (FB..)

After training since I was born I'm now, since my mid 50's, in a place where I live by my own values and integrity - not what others say/think/state..

Very relaxing and a priviledge to meet peoples' opinions with tolerance 😊

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don't give a hoot about what people call boats. There are bragging platforms for those who need them (FB..)

After training since I was born I'm now, since my mid 50's, in a place where I live by my own values and integrity - not what others say/think/state..

Very relaxing and a priviledge to meet peoples' opinions with tolerance 😊
Pointing out the type of boat more to show if it’s possible on a performance tri, it must be possible on most boats. Ours is beside the battery box under the v berth. The deck pump out is in the anchor locker. Pumping out at sea means getting undr the forward berth cushions and lifting a ply hatch to insert the handle. May not be ideal, but hey, ‘er indoors can use the heads at night in a marina, so happy days. Btw I too don’t give two hoots what others think of my boat. Most change their tune after a ride, or even just seeing her go.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I get that.

Our 30' has the holding tank in the starboard side (same as the heads) under the cockpit the floor (a square 3 x 2m) and the size of the tank was mainly dictated by the size of the hatch and the access to push in to where I wanted it, down there..

I appreciate that this is different for every boat and project, but the principle of considering ways to pump out and access to service the installation at a later point, stands.

Daverw

Visit site
We managed to fit a tank it the side of the head, 30’ boat, easy to pipe in for gravity discharge or pump out,used existing through hull that was at the side of the pan and is now directly below the tank

Boathook

Visit site
I fitted one on my 9m boat. Fairly easy but I had to reinforce a bulkhead to take the weight of a full tank plus realign valves and pipework and drill a few more large holes for the pipework.