Fishing boat missing off channel islands

fisherman

Visit site
what sort of radar cross section would a wooden trawler provide?
She had an aluminium shelterdeck and wheelhouse, large steel gantry and netdrum, should be a good echo.
I am minded of radar instruction years ago, if there's an echo there's almost certainly something there, if there isn't, doesn't mean there isn't.

Adios

Visit site

boomerangben

Visit site
As member of public - would you? Possibly especially if you are a regular traveller and have come to know five blasts usually means a yacht is in the way! As a sailor I’d notice any use of the horn. The AIS shows the ship making a sudden change of course immediately before/at the point of collision so I don’t think there is anything surprising in the claim from the passenger - the question will innevitably be should the action have been taken 5 minutes earlier.
I suspect the passenger was familiar with colregs. I too would notice the horn but not necessarily noticed how many blasts reliably. Used to last minute course changes as the ferry avoids pot buoys. Nothing unusual there.
Like you I find it strange the reported short time between blasts and the manoeuvres. I gather investigators are very cautious in putting huge weight on reports of eye witnesses.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might ask what other Ships Horn siginals are as long as 5 ; caus 5 is a lot more noticeable that 1 or 2 or 3 , so hard to get it wrong if a passenger

So my guess is that the ship horn did sound off 5 times ; if it was 6 blasts what would that denote ?

Unless the ships horn just gave a series of blasts , ( 4 to maybe 7) in panick , maybe ?

WannabePirate

Visit site
....So my guess is that the ship horn did sound off 5 times ; if it was 6 blasts what would that denote ?

Unless the ships horn just gave a series of blasts , ( 4 to maybe 7) in panick , maybe ?

5 or more short blasts means danger. So basically any repeated, rapid, horn noises mean danger. I imagine so you can just start making the noise and not stop. Or to make doing it easy in a panic.

newtothis

Visit site
If that's not picked up on radar what chance does a yacht with a hanging reflector stand! ☹
When doing a milebuilder we came out of a river in France and hit thick fog. AIS showed a commercial ship a few miles off. The instructor called him up out of interest to see if we were visible. We were on a 40 ft plastic boat but the OOW said we were showing up on his radar.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
In the days of AIS, this should NOT happen. Such a tragedy ?
AIS only lets you know what other vessels are about. You need human intervention to react to that information.

Two bridge crews were involved in this incident. Somehow with AIS, Radar and the Mk I eyeball two vessels collided. The MAIB will be all over this like a rash.

On about dawn on Saturday morning I was crossing the Thames Estuary. AIS showed that two vessels were inbound to London and over my visual horizon. The information AIS presented allowed my to mentally calculate vessel one would have passed the buoy I was heading for before making a 90° turn and vessel two was will over in the the channel. All great stuff as it gave me time to look for the lights in the grey light as I made my way to the buoy to make my turn.

Adios

Visit site
AIS only lets you know what other vessels are about. You need human intervention to react to that information.

Two bridge crews were involved in this incident. Somehow with AIS, Radar and the Mk I eyeball two vessels collided. The MAIB will be all over this like a rash.

On about dawn on Saturday morning I was crossing the Thames Estuary. AIS showed that two vessels were inbound to London and over my visual horizon. The information AIS presented allowed my to mentally calculate vessel one would have passed the buoy I was heading for before making a 90° turn and vessel two was will over in the the channel. All great stuff as it gave me time to look for the lights in the grey light as I made my way to the buoy to make my turn.
in these days of AIS (seems like everyone on here has it now) is there more risk for boats without it, to be hit by a ship looking for AIS signals and seeing none assuming its clear? Seems likely. Every silver lining has a cloud.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
in these days of AIS (seems like everyone on here has it now) is there more risk for boats without it, to be hit by a ship looking for AIS signals and seeing none assuming its clear? Seems likely. Every silver lining has a cloud.
There were two bridge crews involved in this and many other incident. I might glance at my Chart Plotter once every few minutes while on watch, I'd expect a ship to have at least two on the bridge.

ashtead

Visit site
The other aspect is you would expect on commercial AIS some form of proximity alarm ? I suspect the presence of a Condor ferry at a certain time in a certain location isn’t exactly unexpected surely?

Adios

Visit site
The other aspect is you would expect on commercial AIS some form of proximity alarm ? I suspect the presence of a Condor ferry at a certain time in a certain location isn’t exactly unexpected surely?
If not proximity (can imagine it going off a lot coming near a harbour) at least a collision course alarm? Is it not smart enough for that?

C08

Visit site
One recalls the accident eleven years ago when the Condor Vitesse travelling at 40 knots in thick fog collided with a French fishing boat, killing its captain.
The Condor crew were just not paying attention.
That was sad - as recall the MAIB did not find any fault in the Condor captain doing 40 k in thick fog?

Juan Twothree

Visit site