First visit up the tidal Thames

chrisbitz

www.freyacat.co.uk
My boat lives in the Medway, and I'm thinking about having an adventure going up the Thames to visit Parliament or something.

So far, this is the advice I've had. (28' boat, 37' height, 10hp engine)

pick a day where the tide takes you in, and then brings you out at an appropriate time.
moor up at Greenwich the night before, so you're ready to go as the tide turns
on the return journey, sail all the way home, maybe evening/night-time sailing.

is this practical as a basis?
Are there any organised trips or anything like that, as I understand the Thames is very busy, and I don't want to get in any trouble or cause any!

I'm sure there must be more resources even on this forum, but can anyone suggest search terms I should use?

Am I being too concerned, because actually, it's really easy? :)

byron

RIP
Visit site
I'm afraid your height restricts you to below Tower Bridge but there's no reason why you shouldn't use St Kats, Limehouse, South Dock or anywhere else around there then just taking a trip on one of the many Steamers plying those waters.

chrisbitz

www.freyacat.co.uk
I'm afraid your height restricts you to below Tower Bridge but there's no reason why you shouldn't use St Kats, Limehouse, South Dock or anywhere else around there then just taking a trip on one of the many Steamers plying those waters.

If a 37ft mast is 11.2m, I had a look and it seems that at low water neaps, there's 14.3m clearance... so that gives me 3m clearance...

Am I not being accurate enough or missing something? Maybe I'll have to time it more accurately to reach tower bridge at low water, or doesn't it quite work like that?

thanks for the advice!

byron

RIP
Visit site
If you got through Tower Bridge that only takes you into The Pool of London, just a few hundred yards and there's another Bridge. Sorry but unless you step your mast then effectively everything above Tower Bridge is ruled out for you. Anyway you talk of reaching Tower Bridge at low water, this means punching the ebb. With a 10 hp outboard which gives you what? Say 5.5 knots flat out? In places you will be going backwards.

Last edited:

alruss

Visit site
When you get to Greenwich, they are a mainly sail club and will have all the advice and help you want in deciding what to do or what you can do with your boat. Getting to
Greenwich should be easy if you use the tides properly. Good luck, and enjoy the trip.

gravygraham

Visit site
As others have said, St Katherine's is worth a visit for a night or two. We're berthed in Chatham and went up there for the first time last month and it's a super stopping point. I can't offer any advice on getting there though - our mobo's got sixty times more horsepowers than your sailer!

It's a free passage all the way with the exception of radioing London VTS when you reach Margaretness for 'permission' to go through the Thames Barrier. We got confused when they said go through 'E' span - we got to the barrier and the tower bits had numbers, not letters, so I thought he'd said 'three' span, not 'E' span, radio crackle and all that. If I'd done my homework properly I'd have known the towers are numbered, with 1 on the north bank, and the spans (openings) are lettered, starting with 'A' on the south bank!

intheThames3_zpsc4b497ba.jpg

oldgit

Visit site
You really really need to pick your tide and it may be sensible to plan a stop at one of the yacht clubs on the journey .On the upper tidal parts the flow can run at 3/4 knots on springs.If your boat is only capable of 5/6 knots you will have a problem.
St Kats is best destination but at £57 pounds a night,expensive !
Limehouse is cheaper but a bit out in the sticks.South Dock is even cheaper still but "Sarf " of the river and miles from civilisation and intelligent life.
It is possible to do it,we were in St Kats on Sat and several small yachts had made the trip.