First trip

sch3nk3r

Visit site
Hi
OK. I have just purchased a Sealine S28 and have it moored on the river Severn. I would love to take the boat further by going down the Bristol Channel but must admit find the thought of it very scarry!
Questions
How scarry is it really?
How would you go about planning for such a trip?
What do I need (navigation, safety, etc)
Where would you reccomend for a first trip?
Thanks
Dave C

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Not scary if you chose the right weather. Nav from where you are is really easy. Guess Cardiff would be good first trip.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
not scary

Hi
OK. I have just purchased a Sealine S28 and have it moored on the river Severn. I would love to take the boat further by going down the Bristol Channel but must admit find the thought of it very scarry!
Questions
How scarry is it really?
Thanks
Dave C

As CSail says; not scary really. I did my first trip (see up the channel to bristol in this forum) a few weeks ago. Planning: extra care because the numbers are a bit higher than usual ie the tides run fast and the depths change fast. It is busy someties with commercial big craft but Bristol VTS are very friendly and will keep you informed of movements (CH14?). Otherwise normal things like charts and almanac. Safety: I work on the principle of the C8 safety at sea but thisis a personal thing. Where togo? Somewhere with in reach of one tide and with a get out clause so Cardiff gets my vote to :)

hope this helps

Matt

Who

Visit site
Its not that bad, as long as you plan.

Might be worth coming down to Portishead or Cardiff on a first trip, and crusie with a few others who moor up near you. I am sure Buster3 and a few others will be along soon.

As a minimum, you will need a Chartplotter with an upto date chart. Together with Papercharts and lifejackets. VHF radio. A small flare pack is a good idea.

I sounds scary down here, but its great with very little traffic about. Plenty of other formurites will be happy to say hello and give advise.

Sneds

Visit site
We did the Sharpness (fromBristol) thing last Autumn.
Pick a day with max F2 as it can get a bit nasty in "the shoots" between the two bridges.
Study a paper chart and make "course notes" ie turn left to steer 180 degrees etc that means you don't have to think left or right or port or starboard en-route.
Keep a firm eye on the chart plotter to make sure you avoid the shallow bits and have a full tank of fuel so you can go fast enough to steer out of any trouble the current might push you into.
Best of all don't be scared to turn around and go back if you don't feel comfortable, enjoy!

A

Alcyone

We've only been doing it for two seasons so I know how you feel. My tips would be to build experience gradually. Maybe pick a neap tide to try it at first, high pressure, low winds, go with some more experienced friends and enjoy. Little and often. Get the miles in, and before long, you'll have plenty of confidence.

I think a healthy respect for the channel is a good thing, and an eye on the weather too, but generally, as the others say, it's not too bad.

Oh, make the tide your friend, not your enemy. Try and go with it, not against it, and it's a great help.

Jinks

Visit site
You say that you have just bought a boat but don't say whether you have any previous experience?

If not, I think I'd be looking for a degree of training before taking on a trip down to Cardiff or similar. Just for example, do you know what a cardinal buoy is and the sort of information / instruction they provide? Do you have basic chart reading and navigation knowledge? Can you identify your position from the light sequence of a lighthouse or marker?

Please forgive me if I sound patronising, I really don't mean to but I don't want to say "Cardiff from the Severn is a great day trip - go for it" if you don't have the basic knowledge for it.

As has been said, cruising in the Channel is not particularly scary and I'm certainly not trying to put you off. When I started I knew absolutely nothing and I made mistakes that I wouldn't want to make again through sheer ignorance but I had done Powerboat 1 & 2 so thought I knew all I needed to know. (Hah!)

If, however, you do have that basic knowledge then yes, by all means go for it. I've never been much further East than Cardiff so can't give advice on navigation etc. but as has been stated, standard safety equipment, a vhf radio, charts and / or a chart plotter and leaving on the right phase of the tide in the right weather conditions will make for a pleasant and safe trip. Enjoy.

buster3

Visit site
hi dave where do you moor her on the severn?I am in upton marine,how are you in the locks ? we go out alot so if the weather is ok come along as who said portishead is a good start.

graham

Visit site
Hi
Questions
How scarry is it really?
Thanks
Dave C

Not especially difficult but you have to have absolute confidence in your engines and navigation ability.

If you have the experience and a reliable boat then no problem but as has been mentioned the tides are powerful in the Severn Estuary. Going aground can be dangerous in strong tides.Go with someone with local knowledge at first and then pick your weather carefully.

Pigpen

Visit site
On preparing for sea

Agree with most of the above but an "expensive" chart plotter is not
a necessity just nice to have. In any case you do need paper charts
'cos they don't suffer from power failures. An inexpensive marine
Satnav will give you your Position, Course and Speed Made Good and
take another as a standby. If your boat lacks a decent compass then £35 gets you a hand-bearing compass which can double as a steering compass.
A "cheapish" plastic digital "sports" stopwatch with large numerals.
Don't forget your plotting tools. Unless you've got money to burn a
"scholars" set plus a small "Douglas Protractor" should see you OK.
Make your "Pilotage" notes in large letters using a soft pencil (max 2B)
on the chart where they are applicable. Don't be afraid to turn the chart
so that you can "see" where you are going. Many of the people who
scoff, snigger and laugh have probably done it themselves at some time.
(I re-orientate when convenient and I am ex Submarines and was a Shipmaster for many (many) years. You may have an expensive almanac
but tide-times/heights need to be on the chart and a local tide table booklet can be slipped into a pocket (or a photocopy of the almanac pages for your
voyage ports/dates.) If you don't know the tidal 12ths rule get a
friend to show you.
I presume you have:
Anchor, chain and/or rode. In case you need to wait outside a port.
Either your Rode or something similar in case you need a tow or in
case you need to tow another boat clear of danger.
First Aid Kit. Anti-seasickness pills. You may not suffer but if your crew,
esp the little members, suffer then they may be put off boating for life.
Spare water (say 5 litres per adult) separate from your main tank.
Food for twice the planned voyage length. I eat like a horse at home
but like two when afloat.
Spare clothing. Spray from muddy water gets you muddy.
Extra warm clothing for the nights.
Plenty of torches/handlamps and batteries including a "Steamer-
Scarer". Day (light) voyages may last longer than you planned.
Spare (steel) Jerrycan of fuel for each engine. Apart from your normal
tanks.
Extra Engine Start Battery. Fully charged and not to be connected until needed.
Don't, if your SOP is with you, run out of soft toilet paper!
Don't be scared but it is perfectly normal for a skipper to be worried.
Just don't let it affect your health.
Above all - Get plenty of rest before you start and at any intermediate
port.
Bon Voyage
Pigpen

activesail

www.activesail.com
Hi

Thanks
Dave C

I think knowledge of navigation is absolutely essential in the Bristol Channel,for reasons of safety.

I would certainly take an Almanac and chart, this will ensure you navigate the best route, know exactly what the tidal flows and depths are at any given time and place and most importantly enable you to give out a position if assistance is required.

As for safety equipment, I am assuming you already have a radio, flares, liferaft ect.

Hope this helps, I am generalising so please PM me if you would like more specific advise.:)