First Time on Our Own

jforgan

Visit site
Louise and I went out for the first time on Sunday in Wave Runner without David from Mendez Marine for comfort and after a long wait getting her cleaned and serviced. We were accompanied by our two boys and my elderly mother who was visiting from Scotland.....perhaps not such a good idea on our first excursion.

We planned to visit Cowes Yacht Haven, repeating a trip we had made with David earlier this year, so we set of merrily from Hythe with a full picnic hamper.

We got through the lock OK and decided to have a look at the big ships, so went upstream. Unfortunately Lou and I were so nervous that we didn't realise we were looking at the world's biggest cruise ship, however the flottilla of spectating boats should have given us a clue.

We then toddled of to Cowes following our carefully constructed plan and on reaching Hythe pier applied a bit of welly to get on the plane. I was up to about 20 knots when Lou tapped my shoulder and pointed at my Mum who was holding on to the seat and mouthing the Lord's Prayer, her face a rictus of sheer terror. Either she doesn't like getting on the plane or David's had a word with her /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, back to 15 knots and down towards Calshot Bell..All of a sudden there's a funny buzzing sound and a red light. Oh dear..starboard engine's overheating. Thought back to the Day Skipper theory course and all our training...No that wasn't covered....Looked at new DSC radio...perhaps time for a Mayday, scramble the helicopter...get Sea Start...Mother's looking more worried.....kids upset about not getting new sunglasses in Cowes....

Slapped myself about the head, had a deep breath, turned the engine off, and set back for Hythe. Now very glad that I didn't listen to the guy who tried to sell me his boat saying that two engines weren't really any safer than one. And sorry that I hadn't waited to get the engines serviced by Col!

We crawled back with Lou at the lopsided helm and switched the engine back on to get through the lock. Got through safely if inelegantly and reversed OK into the berth with the help and advice of the guy next to us (aren't boating people nice!)

Sat down in Hythe to have picnic with wife, kids and a Mum who seemed just happy to be still alive.

I felt really euphoric (the beer helped) and remembered the wise words of Burgandyben, "Nobody got hurt, nothing got damaged, and everyone enjoyed themselves. So the trip was a success" (OK the engine overheated and my Mum wished I hadn't been born, but we'll ignore that)

All the best

John

p.s. If anyone wants to know how to cut fuel consumption in half, I've found the secret!

Kawasaki

Visit site
It,s good innit?
See yer could av been sat on Your posterior watching the Box or Gardening or summat.
Or SHOPPING !!! Ewk!
Nice Tale /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stevieee

Visit site
Congrats for actually getting out, you're ahead of us, we were going out on Sunday, just finished all our engine/seaworthness checks and the buggering VHF packed up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hope you get your engine sorted.

[2068]

Visit site
Back in one piece, that's the main thing!

If it's any consolation, my first trip out this season, I smacked all four props on to the bottom. Anyone got a file and chisel?

Check out the seawater impellor on the "hot" engine: if the rubber blades have disintegrated, then they could have wound up in the heat exchanger or the exhaust pipe water shower thingy.

dv.

SkipperMarv

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
Well done.

It is a big step going out for the first time on your own, I'm sorry you had the overheating problem with the engine, hope it is easily fixed, but another well done for the actions you took.

Get the overheating sorted and get mum back for round 2 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well done again

Jim

epervier

Visit site
Yes, thats boating, a shed load of money to go from Hythe to Calshot,and back, if you took the 59 bus might have only cost a few quid.

but you wouldn't have the story to tell!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
hope the fault isn't serious.

gibbowolfie

Visit site
Good for you for switching off and returning. I'm sure the passengers and first solo added to the "stress" but did you check yr engines and outdrive legs before setting off? Did you take a look when you were safely back? Any difference or notice anything odd?

Hope you get it sorted out without too much expense and get to complete yr next trip out.

Steve

gary111160

Visit site
I agree with davidpc. Out over Easter starboard overheat alarm went of although gauges not showing overheat. Stopped lifted drives, could'nt see anything but after the usual checks, coolent, impeller started up and never heard a thing again. Must have been a plastic bag or similar.

Hope nothing more serious.

Gary