First, state your conclusion

Bodach na mara

Visit site
The current "consultation" by HMRC is a sham, as they have already stated their preferred outcome within the document. There are also glaring mistakes or non-sequiturs within the paper, starting with the assertion that "EC law" does not allow different rates to be charged on the same fuel for different users. As "red" diesel will continue to be used by farmers cluttering up the roads with their machinery, fishermen dropping badly marked lobster pots in the channel and houses will continue to be heated by it, then there is no way that this "law" can be applied unless all users pay the full duty. The reason that they do not (and should not) is that they do not (except the farmers) use the roads, which is the alleged reason for the higher rate of duty.

Once the new duty is in place, we will pay higher rates on fuel at the marina than are charged at Asda. This is because our fuel will pay the higher "environmental" levy as it is not low sulphur, also there is less competition. Presumably our receipts will no longer be stamped "not for road use" as the tax will have been payed? And we can then use the red in our cars quite legally? Or heating oil? Well maybe not that last one. Well not legally anyway.

Seriously, what can we now do to stop this nonsense?

Sneds

Visit site
I really wish I could think of something!
I don't feel like rolling over and accepting this without some form of protest.
What would the French do?

adrianm

Visit site
As I've stated here before the whole thing was handled incorrectly from the start.

It was pointless trying to fight to keep the derogation as it was completely indefenceable in the current climate.

Instead we should have been fighting to keep road duty levels of taxation off our fuel right from the start. Now it just looks like sour grapes.

Callisto

Visit site
I'm right with you Iain.

I hate to be dictated to by what was sold to us all as a "free trade common market" never a federal sates of europe.

Lets get out whilst the UK can still attract investment and business. If the EU have their way, we will all be brought down to the lowest common denominator.......over burdened with legislation, rules,bureacracy and red tape that will kill us.

Red diese is only a thin end of a very large wedge.

JH /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

col_shaun

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm right with you Iain.

I hate to be dictated to by what was sold to us all as a "free trade common market" never a federal sates of europe.

Lets get out whilst the UK can still attract investment and business. If the EU have their way, we will all be brought down to the lowest common denominator.......over burdened with legislation, rules,bureacracy and red tape that will kill us.

Red diese is only a thin end of a very large wedge.

JH /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dont start me off as the helth and safty in this country is killing us as well. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I really wish I could think of something!
I don't feel like rolling over and accepting this without some form of protest.
What would the French do?

[/ QUOTE ]

love that one - the french have accepted that they pay road duty prices for boat diesel.

Sneds

Visit site
No [--word removed--] Sherlock! Sarcastic prat. If you can't think of anything constructive to say, why bother saying anything?
How much do they pay for DERV, a little less than us I think?

goboatingnow

Visit site
Just as an update from the Irish perspective, It looks like Revenue here in Ireland will go for the self certify tax option on green( red) diesel. They ( our revenue) have indicated that they beleive HM Customs will adopt the same approach. Its expected that this solution will be published in a finance bill here in ireland in February

Thats a great solution all round , gives the Eu what it wants, gives us wnat it wants, god bless the nod and a wink approach.