First post, planning to leave shore in 6 weeks permanently :)

V1701

Visit site
Seriously, stop worrying about keels! If you are going to be based somewhere in the Bristol Channel you are not realistically going to be able to live at anchor. I've known a few try living mostly at anchor in the SW through the "summer", up the Helford River or whatever, and then take a "winter" berthing contract in a marina. Quite a few marinas offer winter contracts where you pay about 1/3 of the cost of a 12 month contract for October to March but look at the weather we had last year and so far this year. In a marina, reversing into your berth with whatever boat you have isn't really necessary or desirable. It's much easier, especially with a long keeler, to just drive in forwards - but do try and choose a berth where when you park nose in the entrance isn't facing south or SW. Also if you reverse in your entrance and cockpit are less private.

Frankly whatever boat you're anchored in if you're anywhere in the Bristol Channel in anything less than good conditions for anchoring you're probably not going to be that comfortable or feel that secure, at least until you've got to know your boat and developed trust in your ground tackle and anchoring technique. Don't bite off more than you can chew, you'll frighten yourself to death at worst or be uncomfortable and unhappy which will only put you off. Get a boat that when you go aboard you get a good feeling about (that doesn't immediately need major items replacing), it's probably going to be somewhere between 30 and 35 feet and then choose a marina and enjoy at least your first year knowing you're safe and sound because by the sounds of it you've got enough on your plate already...

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
Seriously, stop worrying about keels! If you are going to be based somewhere in the Bristol Channel you are not realistically going to be able to live at anchor. I've known a few try living mostly at anchor in the SW through the "summer", up the Helford River or whatever, and then take a "winter" berthing contract in a marina. Quite a few marinas offer winter contracts where you pay about 1/3 of the cost of a 12 month contract for October to March but look at the weather we had last year and so far this year. In a marina, reversing into your berth with whatever boat you have isn't really necessary or desirable. It's much easier, especially with a long keeler, to just drive in forwards - but do try and choose a berth where when you park nose in the entrance isn't facing south or SW. Also if you reverse in your entrance and cockpit are less private.

Frankly whatever boat you're anchored in if you're anywhere in the Bristol Channel in anything less than good conditions for anchoring you're probably not going to be that comfortable or feel that secure, at least until you've got to know your boat and developed trust in your ground tackle and anchoring technique. Don't bite off more than you can chew, you'll frighten yourself to death at worst or be uncomfortable and unhappy which will only put you off. Get a boat that when you go aboard you get a good feeling about (that doesn't immediately need major items replacing), it's probably going to be somewhere between 30 and 35 feet and then choose a marina and enjoy at least your first year knowing you're safe and sound because by the sounds of it you've got enough on your plate already...
Thank you!

That is a straight up no nonsense answer and I got it hahahaha

Just found a marieholm 32 up for sale, looks like it's got a few little problems so I think I'm off to essex to have a look! I like that it seems to have a lot of living space and a holding tank just incase :)

Yes I have realised that living at anchor on BC isn't an option really!

You are totally right and I am now just looking at the boat overall to decide if it's right for me

So looking on google maps it looks like people have litrally anchored to the land and let the boats dry out!

There are so many websites with boats for sale! Again thanks guys and gals, I think my head just worries that if I get the wrong boat I'm stuck with it... but all of your advice has helped me see clearly :)

RupertW

Visit site
Thank you for this,

So a question on the difference, what difference would there be between a long heavy keel, and a fin keel in chop when anchored, I would assume the a long keel would point into the current and not rock so much?

Whereas going from the above posts mentioning slamming into waves the fin would not offer this "comfort" having a lesser weight and size?

I am possibly asking an impossible question, I would prefer to have a stable boat as I intend on spending more time at anchor than at a marina....

I love the idea of buying the boat the suits me, but what scares me is just like cars old Volvo's are tanks, new ones are still safe, but head to head the old one would live on. The new one would be scrap.

Does this apply to boats?

Again thank you for letting me ask all the silly questions!

And on the note of fins I have been offered Hurley 22 for cheap, it's a backup boat if I get stuck completely (still cheaper than renting if I stay in it for two months and sell it for half I paid...
I don’t the keel will make any difference to comfort at anchor - all boats with any keel will face into a current. Pitching up and down a bit isn’t a problem for comfort in board but rolling is annoying. Only a cat will solve that one. Any mono can roll and the boat shape, weight aloft and even the frequency of the waves affect how much and how often.

The Hurley is not actually cheap unless they are paying you to take it. Most older boats under 30 feet are now worth almost nothing even in reasonable condition as people find when they put them on the market without a mate who is already interested.

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
I don’t the keel will make any difference to comfort at anchor - all boats with any keel will face into a current. Pitching up and down a bit isn’t a problem for comfort in board but rolling is annoying. Only a cat will solve that one. Any mono can roll and the boat shape, weight aloft and even the frequency of the waves affect how much and how often.

The Hurley is not actually cheap unless they are paying you to take it. Most older boats under 30 feet are now worth almost nothing even in reasonable condition as people find when they put them on the market without a mate who is already interested.
Ah that's good to know, it's up for 2250 I was going to offer 1500 if I have no alternative at the end of my 5 weeks and it's still there!

Going to broaden my search now and look at more boat designs, an aft cabin sound good so am going to look at the ones previously listed :)

RupertW

Visit site
Ah that's good to know, it's up for 2250 I was going to offer 1500 if I have no alternative at the end of my 5 weeks and it's still there!

Going to broaden my search now and look at more boat designs, an aft cabin sound good so am going to look at the ones previously listed :)
And if you really want a boat that will be comfortable at anchor and won’t leave you stuck down in the depths of a dark cabin in rainy weather then something like this would work (but not this particular boat as it sounds like it hasn’t been working for a decade or more)
Catalac 8M for sale UK, Catalac boats for sale, Catalac used boat sales, Catalac Sailing Yachts For Sale Cat. - CATALAC 8M custom 1978 No. 8 45 - Apollo Duck

doug748

Visit site

It will probably still be around esp if it is well worn. I have seen reasonable Hurley 22s going for that sort of money so don't be in too big a hurry, remember if you get a stop gap, selling it could be a major pain in the lower back.

I think I have seen the details of the Marieholm, it looks well worth seeing. They were well made boats and more expensive than many alternatives, when new. It may have some window leaks so check for sodden woodwork inside lockers.

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
And if you really want a boat that will be comfortable at anchor and won’t leave you stuck down in the depths of a dark cabin in rainy weather then something like this would work (but not this particular boat as it sounds like it hasn’t been working for a decade or more)
Catalac 8M for sale UK, Catalac boats for sale, Catalac used boat sales, Catalac Sailing Yachts For Sale Cat. - CATALAC 8M custom 1978 No. 8 45 - Apollo Duck
I would love a cat, but is mooring then doubled in cost? Might have a look at some just for a giggle

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
It will probably still be around esp if it is well worn. I have seen reasonable Hurley 22s going for that sort of money so don't be in too big a hurry, remember if you get a stop gap, selling it could be a major pain in the lower back.

I think I have seen the details of the Marieholm, it looks well worth seeing. They were well made boats and more expensive than many alternatives, when new. It may have some window leaks so check for sodden woodwork inside lockers.

Yes I just did a search on boatshed. And I can get a lot more boat for less money if I'm stuck totally

I'm pretty sure you guys are going to say avoid this boat.... but it just looks so beautiful ! WaterWitch 30 Mk II Leeboard Version For Sale, 9.14m, 1990

jonnyfartpants

Visit site
This tread has inspired me to buy a smaller, more manageable boat rather than the 50-60 footer I had planned. Bigger is better right? Probably wrong. Are you planning to sail around the Med? Or just local? But I really do need to do some courses first, VHF, navigation etc

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
This tread has inspired me to buy a smaller, more manageable boat rather than the 50-60 footer I had planned. Bigger is better right? Probably wrong. Are you planning to sail around the Med? Or just local? But I really do need to do some courses first, VHF, navigation etc

The bigger it is the more it costs to keep maintained, anything over say 30 feet becomes exponentially more expensive!

Where you planning to sail short handed or with crew?

Larger boats imo are not normally set up to short hand (correct me if I'm wrong)

Can you sail? Or do you have any first hand experience on a 50-60 foot yacht? From what I know from using a small sailing tender to sailing a 36 footer I can only imagine that it's more of a handful again.

Docking for instance. A 60 footer spring line is going to be half way along the boat. That's 30 feet away with no motor or tiller control. And 30 feet back if a current starts taking you into the dock faster than you would like! Had a similar experience in the Everglades in Florida with a crew! The current was pushing the boat forward into the concrete harder than the 20hp diesel could pull us back. Without a crew of 3 we would have had a serious issue or worse. We still barely stopped it!

My advice, start a thread on here the combined knowledge on this forum is brilliant!

Best of luck will follow your thread with much enthusiasm!

I'm off to view a few boats on thursday :)