First Boat - part II

AlexL

Visit site
Thanks for all the replys to my previous post - spent the weekend looking at boats, anything from the 1980's was, quite honestly, a bit pants! However I found a lovely Moody S31 - 1994. Has anybody got any experience / opinions / knowledge on this type of boat - How does she sail? and are there any particular Vices or problems to look for.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
S 31

I take it that this is the last 31 model they produced? If so, nice roomy boat, beautiful lines and well made. Only adverse comments I have read is the propensity of the boat to broach easily in a breeze. There is a comprehensive test in the archives somewhere, worth a few quid to get it.

Many of the later models cost the owners £70k ish new but have depreciated down to about £50k ish now which is good for used buyers but would seem to be a higher than normal amount for a quality yacht, not sure if there is a reason other than the price of new ben/jen/bavs.

There is a nice '98 model for sale in N Wales at £50k.

ecudc

Visit site
Sailed one last summer for 2 weeks. I'm not sure if ours was standard but had electric windlass, self tailing winches etc which made life quite easy.

We sailed her through a force 7 with absolutely no problems despite the fact we had taken on considerable water through the anchor locker which had a blocked drain. All the other moody's suffered a bit of a damp forepeak after that day but no one else had floating shoes.

I liked the accomodation but could have done with a bit more storage space.

You reef from the cockpit which is nice from a feeling of safety point of view but the reefing (sheets?) quite often got stuck when hoisting the main unless you were willing to risk hanging and left them flapping when the main was down.

tom52

Visit site
I've got one. I like it, same year 1994.
What do you want to know?
Send me a PM if you have any particular questions.

paul

Visit site
Yes. Great boat. Fast for a Moody and very seaworthy. Lots of living space and a big aft cabin but very limited on storage space. Saloon table is particularly well fastened and can break its mountings if fallen against in rough weather. 19hp Volvo installation very smmoth and quite but a little under powered when punching into heavy seas. Needs centre cleats added. Hope this helps.

Paul