First big day out

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Well I have survived my first half big day out. We left Chatham marina at 1357hrs and headed out to go up the Thames for a look, all went well and we continued past quite a lot of bloody big ships until we came to the end of the map! I bought a book of charts for the medway and part of the Thames but it ran out so we stopped at buoy 'Mucking No5', just East of Mucking itself. I have a chart plotter with 2003 Atlantic blue charts in, but still like to have the paper charts as well. The computer showed our journey as taking 2hrs 37min on the move over a distance of 51 miles, we averaged 19.5mph which included the 6 knt speed limit part of the way up the medway from Chatham. I refuelled when I got back and we had used 67ltrs approx, this works out at 79.3p a litre at £53, about a £1 a mile, is that good or bad? That is 4 people plus safety kit in a 4.3ltr GL Volvo Penta. The boat could have gone a lot faster than the average cruising speed of 23 knts but we want to ensure the engine is run in properly, plus it is more economical, but nice to have the power if required.

The boat was brilliant and easily coped with the wash from big tugs and container ships. The cuddy cabin was very useful for our baby daughter and we had a lovely time. I must say going up the Thames is as interesting as watching paint dry, but the company and weather was good !!

I may head for the Burnham on Crouch tomorrow and have a look around, it has to be more interesting than dissused sewage works!! I just have to see if I can get the paper charts tomorrow as mine do not go up that far.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

oldgit

Visit site
Got your PM,but did not read it until today.(Sun)
Went for quick shake down run up to Wouldham yesterday,now that props have been put back on right way round.What VHF channel to you normally listen to.
Here ch 74.

<hr width=100% size=1>My little Princess/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifthe 33 of course.

syd

Visit site
Hiya Hap

Glad you enjoyed your first adventure. Shame you could'nt have gone just a little further up. You done the bland bit of the Thames, if you could have carried on you would have passed Gravesend just on from Mucking, then Tilbury Docks, then QE II bridge, Thames Barrier, The Dome, Greenwich (Cutty Sark), Tower Bridge, The Belfast, The Eye etc etc. Its a superb sight seeing tour from the comfort of your own boat. I,m moored at Thurrock so if you fancy a trip up in company in the near future give me a shout. We're off to St Katherine's on Friday for the marathon weekend, great atmosphere and near to the theatres and lovely restaurants.
Take care

Syd :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Yeh
£1 a mile is ok. From now on don't look at the cost of filling the tank just hand over the credit card. The danger is in "shall I have a day out on the boat or save £50?"
Enjoy the boating...the money will come!!
David

<hr width=100% size=1>