First Aid Kits - US

Cornishman

Visit site
My advice is that you attend a ship's captain's medical course before you sail. There you will learn not only what your kit should contain but how to use the items in it.

alant

Visit site
Ships Captains Medical Course - now called something else (same title book though).

The information regarding Medical Stores, is not usually given on these courses.
Information however, can be obtained from MCGA - MSN 1768. Holding a suitable certificate, allows the holder to obtain some of the restricted 'prescription drugs' required in these kits.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Most useful thing I found was to talk to a paramedic, he suggested some useful items on top of coded requirements. Antibiotics for a range of types of infections, the breathing tubes that hold an airway open on an unconcious casualty and the very best burns kit with sealed sterile tubes filled with gel you can get a whole arm or leg in.

scotty123

Visit site
Based on a more manageable list than MSN 1768 gives for Cat A (most of the room onboard already taken up with provisions for 30days min), what is the 'minimum' list of useful/vital requirements & where would you source these items (US or UK)?

Maree

Visit site
I made up my own - there's lots of good on-line suppliers in the US.

The only 'restricted' medications we carried was amoxyllin (anti-biotics) which we got mail order from Mexico.

After a small accident onshore before the trip, when we found that a surprisingly large number of dressings would be needed for even a small injury, we ordered quite a large number of dressings, including 'butterfly closure' strips for cuts etc. We also carried a suture kit but I don't know if we'd have used it. Some roll up splints in different sizes were also carried, along with regular pain killers etc.

In the end, fortunately, nothing was used from the kit - and we now have a drawer full of first aid stuff at home.

Bejasus

Visit site
izzy, we just had our liferaft serviced, by a 'big ship' chandlers in Tampa, and they fitted the latest kit to USCG standards, which appeared very comprehensive. They also gave us the old one to keep on board, including all the antibiotics etc. We also bought the top of the range kit from West Marine, so we feel quite well equipped in this area.
I don't know where you are in the US but if you are anywhere near any largish ports with cruise ships/cargo vessels etc, I would think there would be a chandlers to this standard somewhere in the area who should be able to supply you a kit to that standard.
Incidently, great places to pick up flares etc for free or cheap, as when they service these commercial rafts, they just renew everything, regardless of expiry dates, so generally have large amounts for disposal/give away etc.