Firing Practice Area

NormanS

Visit site
Why would I have any idea what went on in that area?? It was a bit of a daft question so I ignored it. As I have mentioned already though, I do have several direct experiences of very expensive testing being held up by the duty nerk.

What do you think Maritime Patrol Aircraft are for?

As you obviously have no idea about the particular range in question, I think it's time that we just agree to disagree. :D

zoidberg

Visit site
They used to test a very old design of missile once a year, and while that was going on the range area was increased substantially.

Mind you, it was very impressive watching the aforementioned very old design missile take off and very rapidly disappear skywards in the general direction of St. Kilda...

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...." I can recall observing a 'Rapier' missile development trial off the beach at Benbecula, from the safe distance of 8,000 feet right up above.

The radars had locked on to our towed target several miles behind ( and not the towing wire, this time ) and the word was given to 'light the blue touch-paper'. They did, one of the 4 boosters fired - flames and smoke - the 'thing' slid off the launcher onto the sand, then the 3 other boosters kicked in..... Looking down, I could see this state-of-the art 'hit-ile' squirming and spinning about on the sand, and lots of little stick-figures running like hell..... ;)

Then there was the occasion when providing a similar 'towed airborne target' for the last of the 6-inch gun cruisers, HMS Blake, in the Portland Ranges some distance to the SW off, well, Portland. The naval gunners had worked their way up through various gun-types, 'qualifying' as the controlling PWO put it on the VHF, as my 'driver/airframe' and I went around and around Then it was the turn of the 6-inch guns.....

Our Line of Flight was from the SW towards NE, and the 'towed airborne target', of course, followed us at a deemed safe distance. The task was to overfly the ship, which was steaming SE'ly, when the Principal Warfare Officer ( PWO ) would declare 'Free To Fire' or similar. We were just about to pass overhead when 'something didn't look quite right', and I reported that PDQ, calling 'Stop - Stop - Stop'. It certainly didn't. The big guns were trained out the port side of the 'grey funnel liner' i.e pointed at Weymouth. :eek:

Some underling had them all trained 180° out. A whole bundle of underlings didn't notice. A whole bunch of Senior Naval Careers were about to go up in smoke....

There was much consternation and shouting overheard on the 'open' VHF. The sortie was aborted. We were told to 'go home'. A naval helo was sent to pick up our squadron boss for an 'interservice discussion', but not before he'd heard the story from us. Afterwards, he wouldn't discuss what was said, but we were directed not to discuss the 'almost' non-event.... but he did buy us both a couple of beers in the Mess that evening. :eagerness:

In the light of the above and other experiences, I'd consider the 5000 sq.mile size of the promulgated Danger Areas for the NATO naval exercises quite reasonable....

Last edited:

PaulJS

Visit site
"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...." I can recall observing a 'Rapier' missile development trial off the beach at Benbecula, from the safe distance of 8,000 feet right up above.

The radars had locked on to our towed target several miles behind ( and not the towing wire, this time )...
Slightly more disconcerting... We were checking the range was clear from the sea, and as we motored past the rapier battery I realised that my aspect view of the missiles wasn't changing, rapidly followed by the realisation that rapiers are designed to hit aircraft moving at hundreds of knots.... and we could only do thirty something...:(

stevepick

Visit site
Coming back to the OP. It screwed up my plans last week too, as it did last year, when good weather windows to St Kilda were screwed up by the exclusion zone. Yes, I can understand its a missile test range , which implies that things can go wrong over a large area, but its still a complete pain in the arse , especially when I haven't been able to find an early announcement of these exercises anywhere, so I can make my plans to suit the MOD. Any of the MOD fans here on this thread know where I can find out in advance when these exercises and exclusion zones are being planned? I have tried contacting the range by phone to just check what happens if I become becalmed & suffer engine failure ( about as likely as a missile failure?) guess what - no answer - that's not professional.
I suppose there is no reason these tests couldn't be run when the weather is worse ? Like march? Or do we only design and test fair weather missiles? Sorry if my attitude annoys the MOD fans on here, but I am sure the MOD could be more friendly to someone who pays for them by telling me when they are going to close off a large area of cruising ground that should be available to me.
As to whether access to a world heritage site should be routinely closed off for military purposes, I guess that.s another thread. I guess the range couldn't be set up in the solent :) ?

zoidberg

Visit site
Slightly more disconcerting... I realised that my aspect view of the missiles wasn't changing, rapidly followed by the realisation that Rapiers are designed to hit aircraft (

Many years later we became friends with a sailing couple who had worked on such systems. He turned out to have held the post of 'Head of Rapier Testing' at the time, and sheepishly agreed that they had persistent 'glitches' with the early software for the Rapier Blindfire system - which is/was intended to operate quite autonomously. That is, it would make its own decisions about what targets to track, to prioritise, and to engage.....

I rather suspect it was in just such an independent and contrary mood on the day you mention, and had it in mind that a big, fat range safety boat just a couple of miles away was a more enticing target than a rather small radar response from a Rushton towed target a good dozen nms further off, out on the horizon.

lenten

Visit site
Things are very different these days, but my father used to recount how in his NS days they would drop a few rounds of 303 into the general vicinity of boats that were unwise enough to stray into the waters off Browndown to encourage them on their way.-----nearer than the general vicinity---a dozen boats were fishing a very rich patch of oysters behind the butts---we didnt want to move----boat next to me was hit with a loud whack-----but we were rough tough fishermen ---we weren t scared although when i looked round the boats everyone seemed to be standing less tall-----then there was a loud ping off a metal mast------------we surrendered and b-ggered off----i blame your dad for loss of a days fishing

Last edited: