Fire Extinguisher

Boathook

Visit site
I purchased these water mist extinguishers last year. Amazon.co.uk plus a couple of smaller ones.
I was checking them yesterday and the gauge needle were nearly into the red on the low pressure side. I've got to contact the supplier to discuss whether faulty or low temperatures are causing problems.
The idea of using water mist is good but if they lose pressure after a year I will revert back to powder.
My old powder ones still at pressure after 15 years though the powder had formed a lump so they possibly wouldn't work.
I will report back as to the out come in the next few days.
I've had a reply from the company and they say that the pressure can vary a bit as it is water and nitrogen. I will keep an eye on them and see how it goes.

Cariadco

Visit site
For racing I have to have 2x2kg Powder and a Fire Blanket (as we have a Gas Cooker)
Hate BCF cos of the mess it leaves.
CO2 pretty good, but expansive and can be poisonous if not dissipated.
Halon was Brilliant.. in fact Spectacular. Best I've ever seen in putting out a fire, but Poisonous.
Shame it's banned.

Mudisox

Visit site
Having two hulls, I have more than normal of various types, including 2 fire blankets and CO2 and dry powder both sides.
They are older than others insist on but the pressure is still well in the green and I turn and shake the powder ones as a pre season check on all systems.
Miss the Halon ones though and seem reluctant to throw them away. Garage rubbish.

michael_w

Visit site
I bought three water mist ones as they seem to cover all the possibilities, plus the fire blanket. On my old boat I also had a large CO2 in the cockpit locker as a last resort. Nowhere suitable on the current boat to stow it.

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
Based on the rave reviews of water extinguishers I'll likely pick one up when I have some extra dollar. Which will go in my galley replacing where the old one is currently stored.

For the time being I've just added on a new 2KG powder one to my boat, which I've mounted to the outside of my nav station seat. And left my old one, which still shows as being pressurized and I can hear the powder flowing when rotating it horizontally. If nothing else I guess the old one would be a good pirate fighting device if not a fire fighting one xD. I do also have a fire blanket near the galley.

wingcommander

Visit site
Based on the rave reviews of water extinguishers I'll likely pick one up when I have some extra dollar. Which will go in my galley replacing where the old one is currently stored.

For the time being I've just added on a new 2KG powder one to my boat, which I've mounted to the outside of my nav station seat. And left my old one, which still shows as being pressurized and I can hear the powder flowing when rotating it horizontally. If nothing else I guess the old one would be a good pirate fighting device if not a fire fighting one xD. I do also have a fire blanket near the galley.
Did you pick up local to Fleetwood. Ime their myself and I feel guilty as mine are well past best before date, though also holding preasure

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
Did you pick up local to Fleetwood. Ime their myself and I feel guilty as mine are well past best before date, though also holding preasure
I ended up buying mine through a company called Fire Safety Equipment which I did online. Has free shipping etc and the one I picked up came with it's own mounting bracket and strap. All in all I'm pretty happy with it and it has given me a bit more piece of mind for only £19.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
For racing I have to have 2x2kg Powder and a Fire Blanket (as we have a Gas Cooker)
Hate BCF cos of the mess it leaves.
CO2 pretty good, but expansive and can be poisonous if not dissipated.
Halon was Brilliant.. in fact Spectacular. Best I've ever seen in putting out a fire, but Poisonous.
Shame it's banned.
I wonder what research went into the use of a fire blanket on a flammable gas fire?

I carry:

1*3kg water mist
3*1kg water mist.

The 3kg is in the saloon in case there is a fire in saloon/galley/engine compartment. One 1kg in each of the two sleeping areas and one 1kg in the sail locker.

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
I wonder what research went into the use of a fire blanket on a flammable gas fire?

I carry:

1*3kg water mist
3*1kg water mist.

The 3kg is in the saloon in case there is a fire in saloon/galley/engine compartment. One 1kg in each of the two sleeping areas and one 1kg in the sail locker.
I also use a gas cooker like most. The standard procedure would be to cut the gas supply off and then cover the fire with the blanket. I suppose the blankets are actually more for if you had a oil / chip pan fire rather then the gas line itself being on fire. It's a big no no to put water anywhere near cooking oil that is on fire as it'll explode. So having a fire blanket or something big enough cover the fire and starve it of oxygen is key.

Not a fire fighter, only lived with a mother who set the house on fire 11 times in one year via oil fires.... whether that was because she wanted to oggle the fire fighters or not, I'm not sure 😂

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
As @ColourfulOwl said, blanket is for cooking pan fires.
The drill is:
Use blanket as a shield to approach the fire with blanket protecting the hands.
Gently cover the fire with blanket making sure there are no air gaps.
Turn off heat source.
Allow to completely cool before lifting blanket.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I also use a gas cooker like most. The standard procedure would be to cut the gas supply off and then cover the fire with the blanket. I suppose the blankets are actually more for if you had a oil / chip pan fire rather then the gas line itself being on fire. It's a big no no to put water anywhere near cooking oil that is on fire as it'll explode. So having a fire blanket or something big enough cover the fire and starve it of oxygen is key.

Not a fire fighter, only lived with a mother who set the house on fire 11 times in one year via oil fires.... whether that was because she wanted to oggle the fire fighters or not, I'm not sure 😂
Who in their right mind uses a chip pan/deep fat fryer onboard any vessel?

I am extremely careful when shallow frying and use very little oil.

My late father-in-law was a Station Officer in the Fire and Rescue Service and I learnt a lot from him.

Many years ago I completed a fire wardens course. An interesting day fighting fires with the correct and incorrect extinguisher types. A real eye opener! Sadly, we never did the calendar pictures at the end of the day ;)

We tackled chip pan fires, which to be honest has scared the sh1t out of me for years - amazed at how effective a wet tea towel was. A fire blanket would be as good (yes I do have one onboard), but if the frying pan does ever ignite It is going overboard.

Having used dry powder extinguishers in the fire service's 'hot room' you can't see or breath within 15 seconds hence moving to water mist.

We all do our risk assessment and mine is the greatest risk is flammable solids (paper, wood and GRP), liquids (petrol) and electrical. Heaven forbid a gas bottle being heated and a bleve!

Reactions: srm