Fingers that can't pull ropes

Firefly625

Visit site
I'm obviously far to young to suffer from anything like this..;) , but my Dad suffered badly with arthritis in his fingers for a quite a while and he was struggling with the main-sheet and mooring warps etc (fortunately he already has a pair of whopping great power winches...). Then a friend bought him a copper bracelet. Now my dad is the last person in the world to wear a copper bracelet, but incredibly he did wear it, probably a sign of how keen he was to get some relief and it totally cleared up. He now swears by it. He does accept that there is absolutely no medical reason whatsoever why it would work, but it did... for a couple of quid worth buying one while following up on everyone else's suggestion.

Babylon

Visit site
I'm going on 70, reasonably fit and active, but my fingers are giving me hell. The knuckles are stiff and the flesh is tight so I can't clench a rope.

Although I'm just over half your age, I posted on a similar problem a few months ago - I have some kind of injury-induced osteoarthritis in the middle-finger of my right hand and hauling on ropes induces quite severe pain and seizing in this finger.

What I've discovered, however, is that if I haul on ropes the opposite way - ie with my little finger rather than my forefinger+thumb towards the working part - then the action on my joint(s) is reversed and I experience no pain or seizing up.

You might try to experiment with different ways of holding rope (except of course wrapping it around your hand!) and for goodness sakes give up gardening - its doing you no good!

Last edited:
Visit site
Age is the problem, of course. Minor arthritis is the diagnosis and Paracetamol the treatment.

I'm sure I am not alone in having this problem and I wondered if you have any advice or cures. Has anybody found anything that really helps?

Not as far advanced as you but with the same sort of problem. The only thing that helps is ibuprofen taken as 400mg doses three times a day and for several days. It reduces the inflamation that causes the pain and helps mobility. But with some people it apparently affects their stomachs so mabye talk to your doc first.

Paracetomol is just a pain killer and does nothing to reduce inflamation. As I understand it - I'm not a medic.

Jeannius

Visit site
You've done well to get to 70 without the problem. I started with Osteoarthritis at 45, first of all just in one finger, in spite of not doing anything tougher than hitting keys on a keyboard. Started by Doc on Diclofenac ( very good ) and wife on Glucosamine ( pretty useless), Ten years on all eight fingers are now bad but, so far, thumbs have avoided it.

Fortunately I can run all lines on my boat to electric winches so most of the time I am ok. Sometimes though, I do wrap lines around my hand, there is no alternative as I just can't grip anymore. I only do it when there is a clutch in the line but I do of course worry every time I do it.

When push comes to shove though I can do more than I think. When my wife fell when getting from a water taxi to the boat in the Galapagos, she pulled me in as well. I managed to get back aboard and get the swim ladder down for her although I've no idea how I managed it.

Off to see an orthopaedic surgeon soon and hope he'll offer joint replacement.

Last edited:

pugwash

Visit site
THANKYOU...

Huge thanks to all for sympathetic and helpful replies. To answer some of the points raised …

'Minor' arthritis (osteo) was not diagnosed specifically for fingers but i have had a similar but less critical problem in knees and hips, so far keeping it at bay.

It's not just sheets that are the problem so much as the whole gamut of stuff one does including mooring warps, haliards, anchor chain. My boat is late 60s and the technology hasn't changed so she's quite labour intensive though i can do it all solo.

I tried glucosomine for several years but it didn't seem to help then I read that it while it was not actively discredited it didn't do much good.

I also tried a copper bracelet for a long time without much success.

My wife has got me soaking my fingers in very hot water then cold water morning and night and this is doing some good, helping to stretch the tendons when i clench.

I've had many happy years so I can't complain, it's just a questions of stretching things out as far as I can.

First two grandsons are ten this month so maybe more positive things will kick in. Main problem is that they still can't see over the coach-roof when steering so they get very bored and jobs to do under sail are limited.

Best advice is from Her Grace the dear Lady Campanula that my crew should bring their own bottle and corkscrew. Absolutely!

And keep away from gardening? Yes, tell that one to SWMBO!

I rather think a smaller boat such as a Lugger would be lighter and quicker and with smaller ropes and gear so the quickness and grip of the hands will be even greater. My old lady (the boat I mean) is quite staid and gives you time to do things, and the sheets etc are thicker. Besides, I love her.

Again thanks.

Wino

Visit site
Yes! Buy screw top wine bottles

and get a small rubber ball and keep squeeeing it, with a bit of luck you should get your full movements back, or have drunk enough wine that it wont matter any way...

maby

Visit site
Well, although we are both younger than you, my wife has significant problems with arthritis in the fingers and I suffer with "trigger finger" in both hands.

My wife bought a BioComfort massgaer (http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/health-products/biocomfort-massator/1435626/) at last year's boat show and we both find that it helps a lot. They usually take a stand at the show - not sure if they will be there this year...

Wino

Visit site
Are you taking Statins? I was feeling very similar to how you describe and was also asked by another sailor if I was on Statins. When I said I was he suggested I explain my problems to my doc and ask if I could be better off Statins. My doc suggested I try life without them for a time, after 6 - 7 weeks I began to find the 'dead' useless feelings in my legs, arms and fingers was much improved - eg I'm typing this which I most certainly could not have done back then. I have said the same to quite a few others, all of whom have agreed they felt much better when they stopped taking Statin. But don't completely believe me, look them up on Google.

windfan

Visit site
Curing Arthritis.

Swimbo and I from happy experience both recommend the book by Dr. Anne Hills available on Amazon 'Curing Arthritis the Drug Free Way'. This book has also helped several friends to overcome what we all thought was a problem for life. When I originally bought the book 15 years ago,I did it for purely altruistic motives as we didnt have a problem at that time but had friends who had the affliction. The basis of the 'cure' is the taking of Cyder Vinegar and honey and giving up tea, coffee, alcohol, red meat, tomatoes orange juice and grapefruit. If the pain becomes unbearable the sacrifice is worthwhile. The good news is I now enjoy the drinks in limited quantities but only after a long remission. All the above is for rheumatoid arthritis but in swimbo's case her fingers are no longer painful so are we ever sure which type of arthritis in involved.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
There is a growing movement that believes our mental states are contributing , or causing , many, if not all of our medical problems. It is unlikely that we are aware of this as we seem to accept that a stressful life is now part of us.

Can you imagine our response when facing our local GP ( often in severe pain) to be told that we are the problem ? And to leave without any medication or assistance ?

There is a book that got me started on this written by an American country doctor who knew his patients lifestyles and family history in a small town. The book was published in the early 50's and is a good read if you might be interested. It is by John A. Schindler, MD and titled How to Live 365 Days a Year.

You may be familiar with more contemporary books by Louise L. Hay, Gill Edwards and Caroline Myss, Ph.D on this subject. There are many more. Most have a metaphysical , holistic or spiritual slant so they may not be right for you. “The Creation of Health” by Caroline Myss, Ph.D, has good sections on Placebos.

Personally, I would have found it very difficult to accept any of this stuff for most of my life but now I am making the connections.

Visit site
There is a book that got me started on this written by an American country doctor who knew his patients lifestyles and family history in a small town. The book was published in the early 50's and is a good read if you might be interested. It is by John A. Schindler, MD and titled How to Live 365 Days a Year.

In other words its 60 years out of date and written not long after the discovery of penicillin! You'll be trying eye of newt next! :D Or crystals or reiki etc etc. Mind you in a funny sort of way, out of date medicine goes with a long keeler.:) And wooden boats. And gaff rig.

I really dont see how the wearing away of joint surfaces and the failure of cartilage could be mental. Its either happened or it hasnt.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
blimey

There's a rather nice tale in an article in an old PBO publication 'Which Boat'. The author had a 29 foot catamaran that was the family pride and joy, but with the onset of arthritis the owner could no longer handle the sheets and winches etc. In the end they sold the boat.

After a while, missing sailing, they bought a little dinghy. That convinced them they could still sail, but wanted something a bit more capable, so looked for a trailer-sailer. Eventually they ended up with, wait for it, a Mirror Offshore.

The author says it has no winches "for she has no need thereof; the loading on her sheets is always light. Indeed there's nothing on board to cause strain, provided we don't try any heroics when mooring up, launching or retrieving. We don't even have to go on deck to reef or stow her sails; everything but anchoring can be done from the cockpit. I'm working on that that. . . . Wheel-less, gas-less, petrol-less and all but gadget-less, there is litle to go wrong. A superb sea boat with a surprisingly kindly motion, she somehow seems incapable of causing us hurt, harm or worry. And that, above all her attributes, is what really permits us to relax properly and so revel in the real, untramelled fun of boating. . . . . Everone is different, but we at least did the right thing in buying a smaller 'retirement yacht' , even if circumstances rather than clever thinking was the cause of us doing so. Our experience suggests there is . . .much truth in the saying 'the smaller the ship, the greater the fun'."

great little quote -

well found

I have to say that I have not been frightened by it - and everything does seem very easy to handle - anchoring cane be done without leaving the cockpit - the fore-hatch gives access to the foredeck - very easy

room on the foredeck for two bikes as well

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/the-nene-wonderful/pix-from-the-river-nene-absolutely-sublime/

I understand that the prices of second hand Mirror Oofshores are rising faster than bank shares at the moment and are therefore regarded as excellent investment boats

If anyone wants to swap their 29 foot catamaran for my Mirror offshore I am very welcome to consider their kind offer

an Iroqouis would be fine thanks

- although I would like one that would fit through river locks

yours

Ron Hopeful

Billjratt

Visit site
There is no evidence that glucosamine will make any difference for this. The only evidence for glucosamine is for osteoarthritis of the knees
TudorSailorSurgeon

That explains a lot, so thanks.
I have arthritis of those special two -way) joints at the base of both thumbs due to prolonged use of tools. I used glucosamine and chrondroitin for a few years and it seemed better although my GP scoffed at the idea.
I gave the pills up a year or so ago to see what would happen, and my hands very rarely give me any problems (only when cold) - possibly because I'm not so active with the tools any more.
However, a knee that had been through cruciate replacement years ago came home to roost with a vengeance.
Trying to keep an eye on redmeat intake as there's gout to consider as well, but that's the only concession I'm making to my aches and pains - apart from a lot of grunting etc.

noboattofloat

Visit site
What has worked for me

Daily Regimen:
Excedrin (not aspirin)
Rose Hips (don't ask why but it works for me)
Feverfew (at least 3 times per week)
Devil’s Claw (when pain at worst)

Heavy Stuff (needs Doctor prescription):
Etodolac 500 Mg (Relatively inexpensive but I had a severe reaction to it. Most people don't!! Most recommended by my doctor.)
Celebrex (costly but best I’ve used)

Mechanical:
Thick but Soft Heavy Gloves (Ski Gloves work best for me)
Check with a mountain climbing shop… One of these might just help for "grabbing" rope (worth a try!!!):
(http://petzl.com/en/outdoor/ascenders-0/ascension)
(http://petzl.com/en/outdoor/self-belay-solo-climbing/introduction)

Just had total hip replacement surgery four months ago. Best decision I every made!!! Can now move around on a boat again pain free!!!! :):):):) Dylan's videos have been keeping me afloat!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
For those who are of the mind-set which ridicules the idea of alleviating chronic ailments - of the type which have no known cause (maybe there's a clue there in those last few words ...) - by the alleviation of chronic dehdyration - there's an interesting
piece of research which has just been published:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14889165

However, the problem with advocating laughter as a cure for painful conditions ... is that it's damned difficult to laugh when even the slightest movement can set that pain off !

However, the underlying concept that 'the magic bullets' which are being mass-prescribed by the medical profession are not the only route to alleviating dis-ease is again being challenged - and that the body actually contains it's own remedies for ill-health, if only we can resist the temptation to rush off to the docs for an instant remedy.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
The research is not about proving endorphins reduce pain it is about studying types of laughter and the development of same. Essentially all the bits the news chose to cover is already well known and actually being used as assumptions in this research. Our bodies are designed to age, weaken and die. Due to science and conventional medicine that has now been delayed far beyond our original sell by dates. Science is about evidence and experimentation not unfounded beliefs. Things like osteoarthritis are pretty well understood as are the mechanisms for pain sensation. If people want to believe in hockus pokus that's fine and as long as it is not dangerous then they are likely to see a placebo effect. Homeopathy is a good example; drink small amounts of water and feel better.

reginaldon

Visit site
Now an octogenarian, but had osteoA for a long time, hands pretty mishapen, but manageable - I do wear a copper bracelet and after I started wearing it, fingers stopped locking down. My knees are the big problem, getting into and out of the inflatable becoming very difficult, also transporting it - they put paid to my kayaking. Being a full time carer for swmbo, apart from her day at the day centre, I must think to the future and am contemplating replacement joints, but the opp. has attendant problems re. respite care, so this thread is of interest. Still at my time of life, I've done v. well, thank God. When I meet some at the yacht cub 10+ years younger than I, I realise how blessed I am.

maby

Visit site
Now an octogenarian, but had osteoA for a long time, hands pretty mishapen, but manageable - I do wear a copper bracelet and after I started wearing it, fingers stopped locking down. My knees are the big problem, getting into and out of the inflatable becoming very difficult, also transporting it - they put paid to my kayaking. Being a full time carer for swmbo, apart from her day at the day centre, I must think to the future and am contemplating replacement joints, but the opp. has attendant problems re. respite care, so this thread is of interest. Still at my time of life, I've done v. well, thank God. When I meet some at the yacht cub 10+ years younger than I, I realise how blessed I am.

:)

You have reminded me of my great uncle who, at the age of 85 complained bitterly that he was "losing his spring" because he had been unable to get off the ladder and onto the roof of his two story house to replace a ridge tile that had come off. Good luck to you! I hope that I'm still around at your age to complain about having to give up kayaking... :)