Fined 150 euros

G

Went with an inexperienced friend to Bolougne for weekend. Checked engines with him charts instruments even passports everything o.k.. Sitting in cockpit of friends 44ft Riva. 2 armed customs men appear "May we come aboard" No problem let them look round, quite reassuring really considering the times we live in. Asked for passports ,No problem asked our occupations etc. Then "May we see ships papers" My friend rummidging through various documents in his saloon.
Er. Er I`ve left them at home. " I am sorry you cannot move this boat until we confirm you are the owner". Found loads of bills with name etc, they then telephoned Customs at Ramsgate " who thankfully confirmed they new the boat".
"This will be a fine of 150 Euros forbreaking French law regarding carrying of ships papers aboard vessel at all times whilst in French waters". Do you take a cheque with cheque card "No" Do you take credit cards "No" Do you take English money "No" We will take you to Cash point machine. Which they did and gave my friend papers releasing the boat. The Customs man then showed us that we were the fourth English boat this weekend to be fined for not carrying ships papers, and that had Ramsgate customs have not known the vessel we would not have been allowed to leave until papers produced. I am definately checking my papers this week How about you lot? Incidently one of the other vessels on their list was another of our forumites whom shall remain nameless unless he cares to I.D. himself. TUTT TUTT TUTT I am surprised. Mum`s the word.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Tutt Tutt surely not ?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

G

He must expose himself,Thou shall not grass

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Calais/Boulogne area used for training customs guys in France, so often a lot of checks. That said also noticed a lot of activity in Cherbourg these past few years too.

Bottom line you need docs...and they should be originals, not photocopies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Must admit. Never feel to happy about carying original documents. What happens if boat sinks? I never had one if no docs??

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>It's flog a flag day.<font color=red> Today.<font color=blue>

Haydn

G

The same customs guy apparently went aboard "U FLOOZY" in Calais a few weeks ago, so the owner was telling us on Sunday, but fortunately he had his papers on board, so they are pretty active at the moment and to be quite honest so they should be. Even noticed Customs at Ramsgate boarding visiting boats last weekend not before time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimh

Visit site
my originals are held by my finance company - all I have is photo-copies, surely this is the same with many boat owners ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Your finance company should not be holding your ships registry certificate you should have the original and they should have the copy, get them to put this in order before it costs you between 150 - 1000 euros.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimh

Visit site
ok - I'm still waiting for the ssr papers to come through the post. The finance company are holding the original bill of sale and builders certificate, copies of which I carry on the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

You best not go to France without, as you will be breaking their law. boat will be impounded,this was the impression the officer gave me when I questioned him with similar cenario`s.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Steve_D

Visit site
Sorry to seem naive but what are "ships papers". I've also heard that you need to prove that VAT has been paid - what about CI boat owners? (Dom?)

I don't get my car checked every time I go on holiday whats the difference?

also do they check French owned boats as well?

REgards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>Now I've got to think of another sig....

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Certificate of registry, Insurance, Bill of sale proving VAT paid & ICC

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

MarcusMan

Visit site
Perhaps the best place to keep original documents when you are on-board is the grab bag. That way if the worst does happen you still have them. I cant claim the credit for this suggestion. It was made to me by the guy who did a Sea Check inspection for us the other weekend. He also suggested that it is the best place to keep passports and at least one wallet. He said hed spoken to people who had had to resort to the raft and their passport and a credit card were the most useful things there. Beats getting the consul out and paying something like £90 for an emergency passport!

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I'm not aware that they should hold these. If it's a marine mortgage their interest will be noted on the central register, which is all that is needed.

More to the point you need them! Particularly if the builders certificate proves VAT..

<hr width=100% size=1>