Final (ish) route for your comments

oGaryo

Visit site
I'll be going down to Penton Hook in the morning with my youngest lad to drop off a few BHF balloons and some of the smaller banners, I'll then take the opportunity to drive to Ocean Village via the intended cycle route punched into my Garmin 810 with laddo being navigator giving me turn by turn directions.. should result in us have a final route to upload to your Garmins / Phones that I'll make available via Dropbox or Strava or whatever I need to do.

In OV until Sunday if anyone fancies catching up for a beer.

cheers Gary

oGaryo

Visit site
Great stuff Gary. I get a Nokia Windows phone next week, would you know if this will run Strava?

Nice one Paul, catch up soon mate, we have a mini issue in that the first pub doesn't open until 12pm.. I reckon we push the start time and BBQ time back an hour else we'll arrive there to soon. 5pm for a BBQ should still be fine. A later start means those travelling dont need to get up at silly-o-clock too

rafiki_

Visit site
Nice one Paul, catch up soon mate, we have a mini issue in that the first pub doesn't open until 12pm.. I reckon we push the start time and BBQ time back an hour else we'll arrive there to soon. 5pm for a BBQ should still be fine. A later start means those travelling dont need to get up at silly-o-clock too

Yep, should be fine.

oGaryo

Visit site
Guys, just done a comparison between the 65 mile ride from London to Brighton and our ride... our ride is a total of 3.500 feet climbing and London to Brighton is 4,500 ft so whilst we're riding further, it should be less hilly overall

oGaryo

Visit site
Still making the final few tweaks to the route but just about there after driving it twice now... I'll edit the route with changes to the cue cards to give a few pointers e.g. one section does not allow bikes but we can use a cycle path for a few hundred yards, that sort of thing and I've confirmed there is no cycle path along the Farnham bypass so I've routed us through the town centre instead

https://www.strava.com/routes/2304086

z1ppy

Visit site
Good work Gary, can you share with me on Strava when your happy with it? i will use the Strava app on the phone on the day, the app is great but it kills the battery on the phone a lot so will need to be careful and see if i can charge at any of the stop off points.

oGaryo

Visit site

z1ppy

Visit site
:rolleyes:

the amount of money we pay this airline it should have been gold plated!

just ordered one on Gary's recommendation so if i run out of battery on route i am claiming tow rights from Mr Pearson. :encouragement:

fireball

Visit site
just ordered one on Gary's recommendation so if i run out of battery on route i am claiming tow rights from Mr Pearson. :encouragement:
It's to power your Phone - not your bike!

You should get a dynamo hub with a USB output - you then get constant power for your phone and could even put a dynamo light on the front - that'll help if you're a bit slow in downing the 15 pints per pub ... ;)

rafiki_

Visit site
It's to power your Phone - not your bike!

You should get a dynamo hub with a USB output - you then get constant power for your phone and could even put a dynamo light on the front - that'll help if you're a bit slow in downing the 15 pints per pub ... ;)

Pointless Zippy having a dynamo, his tyres puncture every 5 minutes :D

rafiki_

Visit site
As you pump them up to be rock hard,why don't you have solid tyres ? serious question.

Serious answer Roy.

1. Solid tyres are much heavier than pneumatic
2. Even if pumped up really hard, the pneumatic tyre still has compliance, hence a bit of comfort. Solid tyres would need to be very soft to give similar ride
3. If solid and soft, would have high hysteresis, hence energy sapping

I'm sure there are many more points as well.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Serious answer Roy.

1. Solid tyres are much heavier than pneumatic
2. Even if pumped up really hard, the pneumatic tyre still has compliance, hence a bit of comfort. Solid tyres would need to be very soft to give similar ride
3. If solid and soft, would have high hysteresis, hence energy sapping

I'm sure there are many more points as well.[/QUOTE

Thank you, I knew there would be good reason, I just didn't know. I've got a bottle of anti-punture goo, is that any use ?