Filling small hole in ceramic shower tray

Babylon

Visit site
'Pologies as its a domestic shower tray and not a boaty one, but the missus is complaining about me using 'her' bath and I can only go for a week without showering before even I start objecting...

So, what gunk should I use to fill a small hole (10mm long, 4mm wide tapering to nothing)?

ianat182

Visit site
Would epoxy putty do the trick for you, it sets under water; comes in a stick which is kneaded to activate the epoxy thence rather like a plastcine to use. What caused the crack/hole , your weight, or faulty material?

ianat182

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I have repaired chipped bath tubs and tiles with an epoxy flow coat.

It's just a mix of clear epoxy resin/hardener and fillers to get a matching colour.

The thin crack will need grinding as will the rest of the damaged area to get a good clean and dry surface.

Good luck.:)

Babylon

Visit site
Would epoxy putty do the trick for you, it sets under water; comes in a stick which is kneaded to activate the epoxy thence rather like a plastcine to use. What caused the crack/hole , your weight, or faulty material?

ianat182

I have absolutely no idea:
Either shower-handle fell off its mount (but hole is some distance from the plumb-line);
Or young son bashed it with something heavy (not fessing up, but don't want to blame him unjustly);
Or I'm getting a bit fat around the beam (which I'm also p*ssed off about);
Or tray just failed after six years of regular use?

penfold

Visit site
If you want something approaching a colour match after filling the hole with epoxy of choice, get one of the repair kits off ebay or similar. I've used the one made by Tubby, it was fiddly to use but take your time matching the colour and it won't be that noticable. The best bet would be glueing the missing bit back in; is that an option?

D

Deleted member 36384

A trick for small holes that drain easily when you want support in the hole. Obtain a small piece of sponge, a bit off a car wash sponge for example. Soak the sponge in neat glue. Poke it into the hole so that the top bit is below the top level and the base of the sponge is through the hole. It will now look like an hour glass if you could see it in cross section. Let it set. This makes a good base to pour in some epoxy and self level. The sponge also makes a nice anchor for the repair to grip about. It can save on effort trying to get a key into a small hole.

chelsear513

Visit site
You can use do-it-yourself kits available in most hardware stores. They usually contain epoxy resin, wet/dry sandpaper, gel coat enamel, fine-grit sandpaper, and an applicator.