Fill her up ??

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
... Another thing is, the asphaltene process is alleged to be catalysed by brass and copper....
ASTM, ISO, API, and all of the major engine makers (read the standby generator service recommendations) agree on this. This is established, not alleged.

It will only be observed with long storage (at least 6 months--but some keep the same fuel in a boat for years), depends on the refinery and additives, and is made worse if there is disolved water present (does not need to be free water). There is no need to eliminate all copper and zinc, but long lines, tanks, and large components are a no-no.

Bob@SYH

Visit site
...With some evidence to the problem, we can now assume those without problems have been running on luck, or using fuel sufficiently fast.
... Or more likely using a supply of FAME free fuel

An increasing number of marinas are ensuring their supplies are as such.

Refueler

Visit site
I have been told that it is a bad idea to fill up the diesel tank before winter. This is against conventional wisdom but seems scientifically sound.
Modern diesel is unstable with veggie oil and fats in it. It has been found that after a few months shelf life it deposits sludge in the tank. Over winter this will happen especially if some of your diesel is already old. Less diesel makes less sludge and turns over faster.
The purpose of filling the tank is to reduce the air volume and hence condensation. A better solution for this is to fit a desiccant drier / filter on the breather.
A low tank is not ideal in bad weather but what do you think about over winter?

Sorry - but so called 'expert info' is not correct.

The biggest factor with diesel into winter is whether you have Summer grade or Winter grade diesel in the tank. The CFPP / Cloud Pt factors are different ....

Depending on location - Summer diesel can often have CFPP of -5 .. -7C ... with Winter diesel usually in same region at -16C rating ...

CFPP - Cold Filter Plugging Point :

is the lowest temperature, expressed in degrees Celsius (°C), at which a fixed volume of diesel fuel still passes through a standard lab filter in a set time. The plugging of filter and reduced flow is due to Paraffins and other parts creating wax settling out. This test provides a guide to the region a fuel can be used in.

The test is important tpo determine the addition of additives to modify duesel fuel cold properties. Such additives can create diesel fuel able to test to -25C. T obtain lower than -25C requires extra modified additives.

Its worth noting that addition of Kerosene or Gasoline can produce a lower CFPP diesel fuel from Summer grade .... farmers did this often for their tractors etc.

Refueler

Visit site

FAME of less than 5% does not need to be declared ....................... at less than 5% - the fuel is declared B0. Next step is B5

I've posted this FACT so often - I am surprised that some still post that diesel is FAME free ...

Refueler

Visit site
I think the shop is very reputable and have met the proprietor who has a long history of boats and sailing. Why not look at the information provided in the article and comment on that rather than working on blind prejudice and being so totally cynical ??

As a Fuel Blender .... and Supervisory Company that approx 90% of our work is to Petroleum Fuels Quality and Quantity - I think I may knowe something about the subject ....

Marine Chandlery ... I'll have to remember that one !!!! :ROFLMAO:

Refueler

Visit site
Now you are accusing me of making things up !!
Heaven help us if you are the voice of reason.
I have sent you the article in case you are remotely interested in the subject. I will not say anything else about this subject but will send the information to those who want it

Go on ... send me as well ...... let me read and digest ....

Refueler

Visit site
This depends on the FAME source. For example, beef vs. poultry vs. rape seed give very different results. Beef-based products can gel after a single hard freeze (I was involved in a large failure with a school bus fleet--strand a bunch of kids and the complaints get LOUD!), whereas vegtable-based products can be quite stable at -15C. As a result, nearly all of the FAME in my area has migrated to rape seed oil and soy, after some dramatic failures with animal-based FAME.

But I'm no FAME expert.

The worst FAME in use today and often fails tests prior discharge in Europe - is USA origin FAME.

Part of the problem is the long sea voyage and lack of 'atmospheric blanket' over the cargo. The water content increases during voyage.
Second is the actual production of ...

Production of Oil Bearing Seed stock has increased rapidly around the world - especially in USA. The quality has declined in effort to try and keep up with demand. Govts are creating fuel standards of Bio content that actually production fails to meet. Its been suggested in committees and groups tasked with BioFuel - that even if world turned over to full Bio production - the eventual Green Targets cannot be met. While creating mass famine across the world.
Anyway back to production of Oil Bearing Seed. Farmers who were previously rotating crops on their land and 'feeding' the populace - see greater cash reward in planting Oil Seed such as Rape ...
Problem then becomes one of maintaining output ... increased use of chemical fertilizers - destroying the land ... changing the basic seed .... this all plays into the standards decline.

It may appear to be my playing an alarmist card ... but I see this day after day ... its part of the reason I stopped providing consultation on blending ... too often client would ignore and go their own way ...

B27

Visit site

People were finding diesel bug long before bio diesel was on the market.
I saw it in boat tanks back when I was a student crewing and doing odd jobs.

Bio content was AFAIK introduced in EU diesel from about 2005.
Later still in red diesel.
ISTR there was a period when people buying white diesel in France were having less problems than those using red elsewhere in the world.
There are loads of publications about biocides in diesel dating well back into last century.

Various magic potions have been in the chandleries for 30 years to my knowledge.

From my point of view, it just seems a whole lot simpler to avoid keeping excess fuel longer than necessary..
To be fair, it's easy for me, there's a fuel station that's convenient and I don't use huge amounts.

FWIW, I also buy outboard fuel 2 litres at a time, which seems to last half the summer.

Refueler

Visit site
My 25ft Motor Sailer has a tank just under 80lts .... it is never empty ... most winters it stays with anything from 20 - 70% volume in it ...

In spring I drop a few mills of additive in the tank ... and that's it. Year after year - she keeps on going.

She is presently on the hard with about 60lts in the tank of Summer Grade ... having keel repaired. She will be there till next season .... do I expect any problem ? None whatsoever.

Only time I had problem - was when I had to dispose of about 2 tons of samples from my lab. ranging from Heating Oil to EN590. Instead of paying disposal company to take it away - they make double profit by being paid to collect - then selling it as stock to small processing outfits ....

I mixed - then filtered and added to my boat tank for various cruises ... but despite serious filtering ... I ended up with blocked filters ....

I even tested batches of it ... it scraped in just on spec .... but decision was made to use as fire lighting fuel !!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
... Only time I had problem - was when I had to dispose of about 2 tons of samples from my lab. ranging from Heating Oil to EN590. Instead of paying disposal company to take it away - they make double profit by being paid to collect - then selling it as stock to small processing outfits ....

I mixed - then filtered and added to my boat tank for various cruises ... but despite serious filtering ... I ended up with blocked filters ....

I even tested batches of it ... it scraped in just on spec .... but decision was made to use as fire lighting fuel !!
I've done that!

I probably narrowed down what I actually blended and had no problems. In my case it was all gasoline and naptha samples. 2-stroke.