Favourite Solent Destinations

JeremyF

Visit site
Thinking back to the summer with the family last night, we decided to vote on our favourite and least favourite spots in the Solent.

The results from the Flynn jury were as follows:

Favourite (adults) - Yarmouth, for all the good reasons, but also we found a pub with fantastic food Queens or Kings Head I think.

Favourite (kids) - Port Solent. They like the cinema and restaurants. Not a bad stop if the weather's not too kind, but not exactly a quiet yottie place.

Most improved - East Cowes. From basic facilities the staff do great things to make a visit pleasant. Now the Lifeboat pub is there, even a drink is possible without trailing down to town.

Sh*t hole - Island Harbour. Ideally situated in beautiful coutryside, as short stroll from the Folly, this place is run by people who don't give a damn. Dirty, run down and expensive for what it is. Stop at the Folly.

Favourite short sail destination form Gosport - Chichester harbour. Once over the bar, its always a delight, with BBQ on East Head in the summer.

How does this compare to other's views?

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
All time best spot - and the winner is... Yarmouth.

Never failed to have a good time there - easy sail once you're past Cowes and great atmosphere as everyone's mucking about with tenders and pile lines etc.

Great pubs (well, never get past the Bugle) and not a bad curry house (slowest service in the known universe and closed weekend before last but good food).

Favourite for kids - anywhere away from me (bah humbug, noisey blighters!)

Also v keen on Folley - once ordered two medium-rare steaks - one was raw the other charcoaled! impressive.

Worst place - hm, not fair to say Bucklers Hard as it's lovely - but the cost to park is an outrage!!!

Most improved - well Portsmouth Harbour I guess now Gunwarfs Quay has openned - haven't berthed there yet but so many good bars and restaurants and being able to step onto your boat outside will make a great Saturday night next summer.

Sh*t hole - my engine room - seems to be there whereever I go though...

Place least likely to visit again - Poole Town Quay - it's lost all it's character and charm (good Italian restaurant though). I'm assuming this is allowed as Chichester is outside the Solent as well!!!

Roll on March 30 2002!

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

G

D'pends upon what makes a destination attractive.

We prefer peace and quiet, a bottle of wine and our crew as company so South Deep in Poole Harbour and Pilsea Island in Chichester Harbour are our favourites with Newton River (in off season or mid week) and Beaulieu River (above Bucklers Hard) as qualifiers within the boundaries of the Solent.

We prefer not to pay marina fees and hate any destination where the only bar/restaurant within walking distance is at the marina. If we have crew who MUST go ashore, then Yarmouth, Bembridge and Emsworth the best marina based destinations.

G

Through the forts, heading SE or out past the Needles, heading SW ! :)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Overcrowded

When the sun shines, even anchoring can be a problem to find space! Her in doors hates the Solent - so much so we are moving to Plymouth!

Just hope the drive back across Salisbury plain on Sunday evenings is not too bloody

ccscott49

Visit site

Have to agree with 'er in doors', I've always hated the solent, like the southwest better, but if you live in london, home counties, you dont have a lot of choice, I did like Yarmouth however!

tony_brighton

Visit site
Probably Beulieau as the nicest - if you can get food in the pub/restaurant (Master Builder).

Maybe a close contender is Newtown Creek for stunning scenery - but its a fair distance in the dinghy to the pub and very crowded. Got invaded by wasp-like flies last time and cut the pick-up buoy off with the rope cutter (haven't been back since...).

Yarmouth OK - but gets a bit busy and not sure about the facilities.

We used to be fans of Lymington Town Quay - but didn't go there this year so maybe that says a lot.

Probably least favourite is Port Solent - partly because we moor in Gosport (so its not much of a sail) but mainly because of all the mucking about getting in/out and the price.

G

Re: Favourite Solent Destinations - Brambles bank?

I met up with an old university friend last Thursday. He had been sailing with my pals and myself up on the east coast a couple of year ago - liked it so much he bought a Bavaria 38 (sound familiar yet). While I don't think his favourite destination would be the brambles bank (where he snapped the keel off and sank it) I now hold it in fond regard!!!!!!!!

MRM

(only jealous as my boat is a dinky toy! - also proves size isn't everything!!!!!!!!)

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I've always liked Bembridge . Don't really know why. Probably a mixture of its beauty and fond memories of holidays when my daughters were young. Yarmouth has some excellent watering holes , assuming you can get in.
Not fond of the Brambles - a bit too busy nowadays !!!!!

G

How about Ashlett Creek (watch the tide, good pub), Bucklers Hard (terrible pub for grub), Newtown Creek (timeless), Lymington Town Quay (fun venue), Yarmouth (always good), Keyhaven (the tide again), Totland Bay (good food and beer at The Waterfront), Seaview (good grub ashore), Bembridge (hate it because I went to school there and no nice pubs) or anchor in Osborne Bay as it is free. Do not miss going to The Painters Arms in Cowes if you dare...

Chris_Robb

Visit site

James - tell me more! I was planning to have a mooring off Torpoint marina, or even a berth in the marina if one is available. As I live in Sussex and work in London, we will only be going down once every 2 weeks, so I need a mooring where a boatyard will check that you are still afloat!

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Have been put off Bembridge ever since the time I dried on the beach in FEBRUARY. Hbr Mstr dressed up in his full gear to demand £5....AND accused me of having a roudy party the night before! (it was kids on the beach).

My favorite .... PRIORY. Shouldn't tell you... but you won't be there since it dries and its a difficult trip back from the pub in the dark at high water.

G

Taking the lass and my list ....

Top of hers - Ryde mine - Bembridge
#2 hers - Yarmouth mine - Folly
#3 hers - Newport mine - Newport
#4 hers - Bucklers Hard mine- Newtown creek
#5 hers - Bembridge mine - Lymington
#6 hers - Lymington mine - Chichester hbr

As you can see we have a lively discussion as to where we go !!!!