Favourite boats I haven't tried

dancrane

Visit site
There she is. You could hardly ask for a cuter little boat, nor any cheaper. I wonder how she goes, to windward? :unsure:

49362227907_37cbc3e4f4_o.jpg

She 36 video (slideshow) from 2016:

Wansworth

Visit site
There she is. You could hardly ask for a cuter little boat, nor any cheaper. I wonder how she goes, to windward? :unsure:

49362227907_37cbc3e4f4_o.jpg

She 36 video (slideshow) from 2016:
Chatted with an owner who had taken his to the Azores,apparently it toddles along quite happily with him at the helm and his wife below reading in force 6.........another sailed to the Caribbean back in the late 1960 iirc

steve yates

Visit site
What makes me think that you are just trolling carppy boat pictures for the sake of it.
I dont think he is, I really like the idea of those wee boats too, I'd have one in a heartbeat!

The other wee boats I like are Trident 24's, although I know, I know, they aren't that pretty, but they do seem businesslike, and the Samphire 23's, those are proper little ships!

Wansworth

Visit site
The thing about small boats you can be caught out in a force six and think you have weathered a storm on the other hand a force three is pleanty of wind for cruising so you can stay in harbour above force four without worrying about should you go or not and costs and work is incredibly diminished.......

dancrane

Visit site
That's pretty wise, I think! The bigger and abler the boat, the more prepared we're expected to be, to sail when it's not pleasant.

I've looked at boats specifically because they'd allow me to sail when it's blowing harder than I'd ever want to experience. Daft.

johnalison

Visit site
That's pretty wise, I think! The bigger and abler the boat, the more prepared we're expected to be, to sail when it's not pleasant.

I've looked at boats specifically because they'd allow me to sail when it's blowing harder than I'd ever want to experience. Daft.
My boats have gone up slowly from 22' to my current 34' and there is no doubt that there is an advantage in size when the weather turns nasty. Many of our best passages have been offwind in a force six, which would have been trying in the smaller boats. The downside of this is that stresses on gear are much greater. Although he gear is well to the task, it does mean that there are some strong forces acting which can be potentially dangerous to crew.

wombat88

Visit site
I'm down to 12ft now...do I aspire to something larger? Of course but I have not resolved where I would like to keep it.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Chatted with an owner who had taken his to the Azores,apparently it toddles along quite happily with him at the helm and his wife below reading in force 6.........another sailed to the Caribbean back in the late 1960 iirc
I remember reading (about 25 years ago) an account of this voyage to the Caribbean in the 60's - it was a young lad and his girl friend, and they wrote up their diary (a fore runner of a Blog?) in one of the RCC annual journals.
There is a Westerly Cirrus here - although she has been sitting in somebody's back garden for many years, and is not looking too happy now. :(
And I remember seeing one in Carlisle Bay here after she had arrived from the Canaries with a young couple on board.
Similarly Hurley 22's (I have seen a few arrive here), Contessa 26's et al - so many of them have made long voyages in the days before GPS and internet, without fanfare.

Dan, you really couldn't get two more contrasting boats in your post #162 than the Westerly 22 and the She 36 - wonderful! And both excellent boats with their own fortes and fan clubs.

Daydream believer

Visit site

Nobody should feel that they are "expected" to sail anywhere. It is entirely the individuals choice.
As for buying boats that allow one to sail in heavier weather, that is not "daft". It does depend on what you want it for, of course, but sensible.
Sailing in heavier weather in a bigger boat can be quite enjoyable (for a while). Saying "when it's not pleasant" can be a lot further up the scale. It allows one to sail far more frequently & once one gets above a certain size, one can often say that it is not the boat that will fail (if well found) but the sailor.
I have often looked at the weather & considered if I should go. I rarely have had to consider if the boat could handle it.
It would have felt differently in some of the smaller boats indicated in this thread so far; inspite of some of the tales of daring do, that we sometimes read.
Small boats will make slow progress & one could become tired before the destination is reached. Then the smaller boat can become dangerous.

Daydream believer

Visit site
That looks a nice little boat
The important thing is the sailing qualities.
Number one was launched, for Dickie Bird, just prior to the first race of a Burnham week. La Vie En Rose won every race. It is said that by the end of the week several more had been ordered.
Racing with 25 of those in a class race was fantastic fun, as one always had another boat of similar ability to compete against. Brilliant sea keeping qualities.
Kim Holman followed it up with the larger Twister.

johnalison

Visit site
“There is always room for an S-L 400”. Lousy lavatory; brilliant advertisement.
Great loo. I had one for 14 years. the only trouble it ever gave was when we sucked in weed, but that wasn't its fault, and dismantling to clear it was easy. Even the children could work it, without the need to explain the switch on the otherwise excellent Jabscos.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have a very clear memory of rebuilding my first S-L 400 whilst aground on the Thirstlet Spit on the afternoon of the 5th of September 1972.

After another decade with them, I discovered the products of Messrs Blake and Sons of Gosport, and I have used those ever since.?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yeah, yeah. Can't you tell, I'm looking for the advantages of budgetary limitations! :rolleyes:
Yes , of course most of us have budgetary limitations of one level or another. But just do not make the mistake of buying something silly, like the first pic in your post 162
Just try getting past the spray hood to get to the bow for a start. that is if you actually manage to sail anywhere.
There are a few good sailing boat designs around 26 ft for quite small sums if you just take your time & look.
I know where there is a neglected Westerly Fulmar, bilge keels, on a trailer ,with in mast reefing etc, probably go for £ 3 K just to get rid of it, if someone made an offer a bit sharpish. has boat pox, but it ain't gonna sink & for that price a few weekend tidying up & one has a boat.
Been laid up for 3 years but engine etc was all running before being laid up. owner very ill, wife needs to dispose of it.

Last edited: