Favourite boats I haven't tried

dancrane

Visit site
Good heavens, I didn't mean STANDING headroom.

Aboard the Corribee, 5ft stature means you can probably sit upright.

wombat88

Visit site
I am well over 6ft (well I was once). Standing headroom in small boats is something I have yet to experience. The ideal seems to be to have things arranged in such a way that one can cook with one's head out through the hatch.

dancrane

Visit site
I stepped aboard a Centaur last year - first time in years, possibly decades. It was a B-layout. It really isn't BIG, but if her headroom was only 4ft 10", or hovered around the ceiling height of so many boats below and above her length, it would feel oppressively smaller.

A lot of objections are raised by the owners of sleeker yachts, to the Centaur's styling and performance, but that single factor - decent space in the third dimension - must have been the most effective single selling point, to chaps who'd only ever sat or stood half-crooked in their cabins.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Corribee anyone?
Yum yum. Though what you all really need is a Hunter 490 - same size as a Wayfarer, nice big bulb on a lifting keel, snug cabin, delightful Oliver Lee sailing properties and they can be very, very cheap if you know someone who desperately needs the space on his drive back.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I am well over 6ft (well I was once). Standing headroom in small boats is something I have yet to experience. The ideal seems to be to have things arranged in such a way that one can cook with one's head out through the hatch.

I can't stand up in my boat (I'm 6'4") but at least I can put my trousers on while on my feet. The galley is by the companionway, so plenty of headroom with the hatch open and nice and dry when the sprayhood is up.

A lot of objections are raised by the owners of sleeker yachts, to the Centaur's styling and performance, but that single factor - decent space in the third dimension - must have been the most effective single selling point, to chaps who'd only ever sat or stood half-crooked in their cabins.

Absolutely. A decent amount of room, nice and snug thanks to the now infamous headlining and a good big engine to get you home. What, as the kids say, is not to like? For the time it was a superb family boat.

I've just thought of my other (besides the Nic 32) secret lust. There is a Botnia Targa 28(?) in the marina at Bangor which I really, really want. I love the simplicity of the design, the nice big deckhouse, the snug bunks. Unfortunately even if I could afford the boat, I don't think I could afford the diesel.

Crowblack

Visit site
The She 36 is genuinely something special - I have sailed one. Not sure quite why but it's just right, sweet handling, well mannered and quite fast too as well as very seaworthy.
Agree about the She 36 - - - but then most of the She's - just - look right - - haven't been in Shotley for about 7/8 ears but when used to visit regularly there was a beautifully kept She 26 - from memory called "Stolen Kiss" - - I always had to stop and gaze when I passed she was lovely.

dancrane

Visit site
Am I far wrong in thinking that the She range might almost have been smaller examples from the original Swan range of the same vintage?

She 36
49358453101_76f2e12fa7_c.jpg

Swan 37
49358456851_ffb7d40084_c.jpg

armchairsailor

Visit site
At the other end of the scale, Iain Oughtred's designs are quite lovely. Caledonia Yawl comes to mind as my dream boatbuilding project.

Rustlers, Winners, Starlight 35, Malos, or a S&S 42 would suit me fine.

My daughter wants something with "a cat room" (she's only 9) and my lad (13) who is already taller than me just wants over 6' if standing headroom.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I was anchored beside this Besteaver in St. George’s Harbor, Bermuda, this past spring. I have always been fond of them. They exude seaworthiness with a bit of industrial charm. View attachment 83394
Are you referring to the inflatable, or the hideous looking pontoon it is hooked up to.
I could possible accept industrial-- but " charm" now come on, we are being a bit silly :unsure:

Daydream believer

Visit site
It's a style thing. You either understand or you don't. Sorry.
I take your point, but surely style has to be accompanied by sailing quality. I am told that the Vancouvers have excellent sea keeping qualities. However, if they take ages to get anywhere does that detract from the style a little. After all yachts are meant to sail well - or to sail well for the purpose for which they are designed. By that I mean cross oceans, coastal sail, catch fish,carry cargo, etc etc.
But of course one buys the boat to suit what one does & this thread is not about that. It is more about "favourite" boats. It would not be my choice - but then I am not "everybody" & what suits me does not have to suit another, otherwise the place would be fairly boring. But lets express an opinion because that adds to the enjoyment of the subject

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'd love 5ft headroom, I have 4 ft 8 in my bradwell, I cant even sit upright inside her :)
Actually there is a point in headroom height where it can be really bad for the back.
In my Stella one could not really stand so one naturally sat on the bunks to move forward & slid along in a sitting state. To use the cooker one stood in the hatch with ones head out the cabin. To use the heads one had to kneel infront, or sit. One never had backache.
In my current boat I can stand in most places with a slight crick in my neck. Hence, I sometimes get a stiff neck at worse But then I am 6ft 6 ins
However, in our club boat, to try & stand, one is sort of bent double because the headroom is fairly low. The headroom is such that one feels the desire to try & stand anyway.
The result is, that at the end of the day anyone, of normal height, down below for any length of time, complains of severe backache.
If it had a lower headroom one would be forced to sit & not get backache.

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
Blimey that photo takes make back! The SHE36 pictured is (or certainly was) called Tai'Chi and I spent many happy trips on her back in my mid and late teens ( 1980s/90s) crewing for her owner, who was a one armed former Colonel of the Blues and Royals (and later Chairman of BLESMA).

She had an non standard layout for a SHE and a proper teak deck rather than the knee shredding SHE-deck. Her owner was of the opinion (having seen both examples out of the water) that the SHE36 and the earlier Swan 36 hulls were basically the same (He was friends with the owner of the one that lived in Falmouth back then).

I think the 37 in the picture is a later Ron Holland design.

She sailed like a witch upwind, a bit rolly downhill in a seaway, and quite a wet boat (aka 'The Yellow Submarine').

Am I far wrong in thinking that the She range might almost have been smaller examples from the original Swan range of the same vintage?

She 36
49358453101_76f2e12fa7_c.jpg

Swan 37
49358456851_ffb7d40084_c.jpg

wombat88

Visit site
Always liked the look of the old Sadler 25, has a touch of something about it, presumably the tumblehome... I imagine that they are not cavernous within but probably go rather well?

dancrane

Visit site
I saw pics of a Sadler 25 that reminded me a lot of the Corribee, very pretty but made big enough to be comfortable for normal-sized people. That resemblance isn't obvious in any photos I can find today!

49361953866_030696189d_o.jpg

What makes me think that you are just trolling carppy boat pictures for the sake of it.

Not quite sure what you mean, but I'm confident you're mistaken. Wombat suggested we look at boats with a £5,000 limit. Granted that's not a lot to spend, even second hand, but there's plenty of variety out there. If I hadn't seen the cat-rigged Hunter up close lately, it mightn't have leaped into my mind, but I liked it a lot. It seems very practical and definitely isn't influenced by many other designs.

Last edited: