Favourite boats I haven't tried

wombat88

Visit site
Talking about 'ugly boats and before you get stuck back into dinghies, have a look at the Steadfast 24 which isn't that ugly I suppose.

An interesting craft with a good reputation and interior helm for the aged...not that I am suggesting anything.

dancrane

Visit site
Great minds really do reach the same conclusions. After turning off the computer last night, I scribbled down "Cherubini 48!" They are fabulous.

49383986527_c10cbf7430_z.jpg

The Steadfast 24 certainly achieves a lot that I'd want in a small boat. Surprisingly, whenever they come up for sale, almost as conspicuous as the high price, is the fact that most of them seem to be fin-keeled. It looks like the sort of design that doesn't primarily need high pointing as a characteristic, and would benefit the likely owner by drying out upright, yet few examples seem to be bilge-keeled.

dancrane

Visit site
Like a hideous building in a beautiful city, the only place to be is inside, where you don't have to look at it. ;)

flaming

Visit site
Like a hideous building in a beautiful city, the only place to be is inside, where you don't have to look at it. ;)
I don't have any particular issue with its looks, wouldn't call it pretty, but wouldn't call it especially ugly either. It was more the somewhat sedate sailing experience and the sense of detachment from the real world. But that accommodation is remarkably alluring and makes up for a lot. It's probably the only boat currently in production that could tempt me away from something quick and fun like a Pogo as a long distance liveaboard in my fantasy boat buying scenario....

wombat88

Visit site
I'm more familiar with the twin keeled Steadfast which seems more appropriate. Others in the 'mini nearly motor sailor' category include Swin Ranger, Cox something or other and Cox Master Mariner.

Once one has exhausted that lot then it is time to turn to the boat of boats and one I have never tried though would rather enjoy having a go on...The Buckler Ketch.

dancrane

Visit site
....the Steadfast 24...a good reputation and interior helm for the aged...not that I am suggesting anything.

I had been too excited by the memory of the Cherubini, to infer any offence. :ROFLMAO:

I feel more aged than I actually am, on days like today. A high, gusting wind with blasts of hard rain. Wouldn't you steer indoors, if your boat gave you the option?

49385098236_58bd0fd8da_o.jpg

flaming

Visit site
I had been too excited by the memory of the Cherubini, to infer any offence. :ROFLMAO:

I feel more aged than I actually am, on days like today. A high, gusting wind with blasts of hard rain. Wouldn't you steer indoors, if your boat gave you the option?

49385098236_58bd0fd8da_o.jpg

In 38 gusting 45 the only thing I want to be steering is a course between my comfy seat and the bar.

westhinder

Visit site
These are my favourite boats:

I have absolutely no further ambitions.

(1.) was my best friend for 29 years and has gone on to a very good home. The others are in the family fleet. (4.) belongs to #2 son but gets borrowed. (3.) is a very reliable old friend.

You must be a happy man

dancrane

Visit site
The F46 is strange one - I think they only ever built about a dozen, and probably none since '96.

But I've seen one or two adverts for 46s with weird, custom interiors which made lousy use of the cavernous hull space.

There seem to be plenty of F37s around.

Somebody is claiming on Apollo Duck to sell new ones - but all the photos are of examples from 30 years ago.

I think the same group have built new F25s.