Favourite boats I haven't tried

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
An interesting history [of Charlie Stock's Shoal Waters]. But I was wondering (feeling envious of the style but not of the maintenance that her timber construction requires) just which relatively modern equivalents there are - most likely from a GRP production line.
Perhaps -

Tamarisk 19 – Honnor Marine
or
Hawk 20 Cabin – Hawk 20

Both would cost vastly more, I imagine, than Charlie Stock spent on building Shoal Waters.

You could, of course, convert your Osprey! ;)

dancrane

Visit site
I love that Tamarisk! Looks alarmingly pricey though. But the Osprey has earned a graceful retirement I reckon - no more cutting up and rearranging.

Good question about the rig, Steve. I was thinking that gaff or gunter would allow shorter spars, which would make for easy lowering of the mast, good for going up wooded rivers and under bridges. I know it's possible to raise and lower a tall mast using a spar to improve the hoist angle, but a gaffer's shorter mast must be easier to handle and stow when lower.

Maybe l'll get busy designing, myself. The world's first gaff-rigged Wayfarer with a wheelhouse. ;)

Last edited:

LittleSister

Visit site
Good question about the rig, Steve. I was thinking that gaff or gunter would allow shorter spars, which would make for easy lowering of the mast, good for going up wooded rivers and under bridges. I know it's possible to raise and lower a tall mast using a spar to improve the hoist angle, but a gaffer's shorter mast must be easier to handle and stow when lower.

Maybe l'll get busy designing, myself. The world's first gaff-rigged Wayfarer with a wheelhouse. ;)

You haven't been peeking at my plans for a gunter yawl rig for the LM27, have you? ;)

p.s. The Tamarisk 19 (and 24) is by the same designer, David Cannell, as the Samphire 23 (and 26 & 29). :)

Daydream believer

Visit site
An interesting history. But I was wondering (feeling envious of the style but not of the maintenance that her timber construction requires)
When I last spoke to Tony Smith about Shoal Waters, he did say that she was getting near the end of her life. Maintenance was becoming difficult. Only possible because he is a joiner by trade. But I got the impression that he could not let her go, because of her history & he loved her almost as much as Charles Stock did. That being said, he did say that he would like a bigger boat. Then he could extend his cruising grounds- if only budget & time permitted.

dancrane

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Shoal Waters isn't fit for many more adventures. But I predict her style (and Charles Stock's philosophy) enduring in GRP, because it's so rewarding for what need not be a huge investment of time, money and effort.

Here's a shoal draft gaffer I'd love to try...a few feet longer than Shoal Waters and sadly twenty times the price, but very pretty...

Cape Cutter 19

49378554248_abac188082_o.jpg

Daydream believer

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Shoal Waters isn't fit for many more adventures.
Not exactly "not fit" but proving to be "quite demanding" as I understand it. With time & effort any wooden boat can be kept sailing. I know because I refurbished a very tired Stella. But I had to strip it to just a hull & rebuild from there & sheath it inside & out in epoxy. Cabin, cockpit, bulkheads, deck etc all renewed. There was rot all over it. Quite a few broken ribs as well. But now it is done I expect that, with a little care, she could last for many years more.

LittleSister

Visit site
Here's a shoal draft gaffer I'd love to try...a few feet longer than Shoal Waters and sadly twenty times the price, but very pretty...

Cape Cutter 19

49378554248_abac188082_o.jpg
A Dudley Dix design. Very highly spoken of, though I haven’t sailed one.

I have sailed one briefly. Very enjoyable, though I can't remember any details. The friend who owned it said, IIRC, that it sailed better than the similar Cornish Shrimper he'd previously owned.

DownWest

Visit site
I have sailed one briefly. Very enjoyable, though I can't remember any details. The friend who owned it said, IIRC, that it sailed better than the similar Cornish Shrimper he'd previously owned.
They have done well in the RTI races often and were built by Honnor Marine. Bigger brother is the Cape Henry 21, only for home build and there was a 30 ft version commissioned, but not built.

Oh..and I tripped over a blog about a bloke who found a Fairey hull (Fulmar?) the same as Shoal Waters and was building a similar, if not identical, boat. Found quite a lot of rot in the hull and spent some time re-laminating the skins. Can't remember the link now, but no doubt could be found.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Visit site
There is a Fairey

Fairey Fulmar?

I hadn't known about that one! 20ft single (drop) keel derivative of the Atalanta.

SailboatData.com - FULMAR 20 (FAIREY MARINE) Sailboat

Hmm. I wonder. Looking at a couple of pictures, I'm wondering if that Fulmar - with the curved cabin top of the Atalanta (supposedly, though I doubt it, an inverted Fairey Duckling dinghy moulding!), but without the Atalanta's roll decks, was the inspiration for Arthur Howard's hugely successful 'bubble-top' small cruisers e.g. the Leisure 17, and the Sun series (Sunspot, etc.).

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
Inspiring to consider that a far-gone state of dilapidation need not be the end of a boat - although also sad because it may be decided that it is cheaper to start again from nothing.

I have sailed [a Cape Cutter] briefly. Very enjoyable, though I can't remember any details. The friend who owned it said, IIRC, that it sailed better than the similar Cornish Shrimper he'd previously owned.

My memory of the Cornish Shrimper is of leaving one behind, while sailing a Topper. It has stuck in my mind because I don't remember ever overtaking anything else.

LittleSister

Visit site
My memory of the Cornish Shrimper is of leaving one behind, while sailing a Topper.

Presumably the inboard engined variety. Stuck in reverse ! ;)

Seriously though, my recollection (dim and distant though it is) was that the Shrimper sailed rather nicely, but I couldn't sit up straight inside.

Crabber 17 anyone? I seriously wanted one of these for a long time. (I see they are now calling them Shrimper 17s, even though it still says Crabber 17 on the tin.) Shrimper 17 - Cornish Crabbers

maby

Visit site

Late last night I found a Moody advert which showed one of their fairly recent, aesthetically bold deckhouse designs, above a contemporary, conventional aft-cockpit example (photos of each, below). The deckhouse example is undoubtedly the smarter choice for comfortable all-season use at 50 degrees north...but while I am fond of wheelhouses, the other design is subtler and infinitely prettier and (I suspect) likely to appeal much more to the kind of folk who can afford her. I'm glad the company offers both, but I'd only want to own the one which looks (in its essentials) like the same size of yacht from at least a third of a century ago.

49338570353_4d45cd69c6_o.jpg

I have to say that the more I see of the Moody DS, the more I like it! It is one ugly boat, but provides excellent accommodation in a sailing package.

dancrane

Visit site
...the more I see of the Moody DS, the more I like it! It is one ugly boat, but provides excellent accommodation in a sailing package.

That was my impression too. I don't want to like it but it has features I'd envy. Fortunately there are prettier deckhouse cruisers.

Still thinking of Crabbers, the one I'd like best would be one they never built - a forty-five footer, gaff schooner. GRP gaffers have been around long enough for me not to view them with any purist sense of scorn. If somebody actually built a reproduction gaff schooner, with the virtues of epoxied glassfibre construction, modern wiring and engine, no weird handling traits or doubtful layout choices, and enough hardwood trim to look and feel the part, I'd really want one, more than the 'real' thing with perhaps eighty years of unknown maintenance behind her.

Meanwhile, I still admire their pretty 12ft Cormorant, popular among dinghy cruisers.

49382454842_55fd2dc556_w.jpg