Family sailing experience

Chris_B4

Visit site
A long time ago I used to sail quite a bit but since the kiddywinks arrived I've been a fairly dedicated motorboater (please don't start now, that's not the point of this post)

My kids are now aged 11, 9 and 7, I have a week off arranged shortly and our boat is currently laid up. What I'd like to do is hire/charter * what I would call a dayboat and treat the kids to a sailing experience somewhere relatively near to our home port of Portsmouth

Trouble is all my enquiries about dinghy hire have led to places where you must first be a member and I can't find any place that will hire/charter something larger (like a Hawk 20 or something similar)

Does anyone know where I might find what I'm after

Thanks for any helpful suggestions you may have

Chris

* Funny that, you apparently hire a dinghy but charter a yacht, at what size does hire become charter ?

Last edited:

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
There must be somewhere around the Solent that does this, but I'm afraid I don't know of any. Istr that there's an outfit on the Helford River that hires out Drascombes - which would be ideal if they were about 100 miles nearer - but other than that.....

Romeo

Visit site
I have always assumed that around the solent anything less than 35 feet is a day sailer. I could direct you to places in the Lake district (Glenridding) and Argyle (Linnhe Marine). Perhaps a help to others who might read this with similar queries, but not much use to you I'm afraid.

R