Fallen in the Drink.

G

have any of you faalen in the marina? If so how did you get out? Fell in in January been too embarrased to mention before. stepped from pontoon onto bathing platform 11`O clock one Saturday night slipped Arse over u no what straight into water. Pitch black bashed me head and leg. Surfaced where my partner & my son stood in the cockpit just starring at me.. the only way out was my bathing platform ladder, nearest marina ladder nowhere in sight, Impossible to lift yourself fully clothed on to pontoon unless your Mr. Super Michelin man. the biggest shock for me when I entered the boat was the severe cold, going through me.How do these marinas get away with there non supply of escape ladders.

By the way I WAS WEARING MY MOCASAN SLIPPERS when I slipped in. SWMBO has now banned them from the boat. I even saw one the next day floating in the marina very tempted to rescue it.. How`s your marina fixed for escape route????

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
Someone asked about people falling in ages ago. The thread turned out to be so funny I kept falling off my chair!!
And No, I have never fallen in YET!
Chichester Marina doesn't seem to have any ladders, in fact Dolphin Yacht Haven seems to be the only place I remember seeing them. A little worrying.

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

G

Get yourself a pair of slippers you`ll be in, in no time Guaranteed.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i have fallen of the back of the boat at anchor
i have slept on a marina pontoon but not fallen in. not even in the med .
quite amazing forme really.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

MarcusMan

Visit site
Watched somebody fall off the end of a finger pontoon in Northney the other weekend (apologies to that person if they are on the forum!) I can therefore confirm that Northney HAS got escape ladders. The person in question was also wearing their lifejacket - which was of the automatic inflation type - which worked vary effectively *grin*. Even on a warm day with help they stuggled in wet clothes to get up the ladder. When we stopped laughing we did go and help and provide towels etc. In the winter I imagine it would be quite nasty.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andrewbarker

Visit site
I fell in at Brighton Marina last September. I'd gone to pick up a boat & the pontoons there are shorter than my home ones at Southampton. Coming back from that boaty chinesy restaurant after a few, walking along pontoon, blah blah blah & straight off the end. My dog, which was with me, suffered from the springboard effect & was catapulted off the side.

Secret of recovery? Take your wife with you to shout "get out of there you bl**dy P**sed old fool" & you pop yourself out onto the pontoon in a sec.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
A good few years ago I was doing cowes week on a Sigma 38, we had finished racing and were tied up alongside a raft of about eight or nine boats. We had all got dressed up in our tuxs to go to the ball when skipper (father) says when we go we'll (i.e. me) take a line ashore with us. All was going well and I had negotiated about four boats when I came across one yacht which had decided to moor the other way round, as they were having drinks in the cockpit and I didn't want to disturb them I crept rpound the outside whilst chatting politely to them about the day's racing. About halfway round the stern I noticed their daughter on board she was stunning and also dressed for the ball! I chatted for a few seconds and arranged to meet her later, coolly or not as the case may be reached out and grabbed the backstay to continue on, realising just too late that it was the danbouy! I very slowly and gracefully fell in the oggin in front of about two thousand in the beer tent, let go of the danbouy which flicked back and smashed the girls father's glass cutting his hand quite badly, was so ashamed I just swam back to the boat and sulked all night!

To answer your question, the club de mar here in Mallorca has this week been fitting ladders to all pontoons.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

The Chinesy thing is the Pogoda I believe but how did you get out or are u still in there cos SWSBO is still after you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

It's easy to fall in...

1) Step into dinghy that you have forgotten to tie up properly

2) Do the splits

3) Fall in

Just as easy to get out...

Two strong guys grab your arms and project you up onto the jetty at warp speed

For the following season ignore requests for a repeat show from same.

By the way Chichester Marina does have some ladders, there is one next to my boat, perhaps they put it in for me

Geoff

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
Got a bit of a story about SWMBO. St Peter port about 4-5 years ago.

You know when you ask some one to get on the boat AND THEN untie the line and they untie first, then try and get on the boat??
You know what happens next- right??
Yep! 2 hands on the rail, 2 feet on the pontoon........the boat starts to float away...........SPLOSH!!! Hahahaha!......
..Then I pulled her out!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
then presumably she broke your hands
or kicked you in the fenders

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

kghowe

Visit site
Premier's Southsea has got a few ladders. They are spiddle things and I don't remember seeing many of them. One's next to my boat though. No plans to use it just yet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

[2068]

Visit site
Have fallen in twice so far:

Once 5 yrs ago from the back of the bathing platform while attaching the cover in early May (brrrr). Used the swim platform ladder to climb back onboard. Needed several Glenmorangies (port wood finish) before core temp restored.

Then, season before last, was giving SWMBO some docking practice that went pear shaped. I was standing on the bow, holding boat hook, which I used to prevent bow hitting pontoon. Boat hook becomes hooked around stanchion on pontoon, SWMBO hits reverse, boats moves smartly astern, and for some reason, I held onto the boathook...... The words that were in the bubbles that surfaced before I did were not printable. Requested an engine stop, then used the swim platform ladder to climb back onboard. This one needed several Laphroaigs and a Jack Daniels to restore normal processing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Oooooh!

Met your SWMBO at Byrons bash, a lovely lady, you must be talking about an ex, surely? You wouldn't treat present SWMBO in such a nasty cavalier fashion, would you.................................. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
Re: Oooooh!

It was so predictable. I just couldn't help myself from laughing. As soon as I dragged her out, she marched off down the (fuel) pontoon and gave a Froggy a piece of her mind. Aparently it was him trying to push in fuel queue, that caused her misshap?????
Yeah, I didn't get that either.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
I fell in standing off Moodys a few years ago. I considered myself a nimble sort around a boat, you know been at it man and boy. This boat had no side rails and a deck width of a few inches. Anyway I was trotting up the deck kicking the fenders over the side in true nautical fashion when suddenly I was swimming.

I don't rememebr any of the bit in between. Put my hands underwater and touched my glasses descending to the deep and managed to grab them in time. Swam round the boat and held onto the toe rail for a bit, wondering what next. Then I discovered the trim tabs and managed to get a knee up, followed by whole self.

It has always been my practice when single handed to go into neutral before leaving the wheel, being pleased about that discipline is about the only thing I got right. Still gave me an excuse to sit in the saloon with the heater flat out, in the nude, with several large brandies. Went without dinner as no food aboard and no change of clothes except sleeping bag.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

G

How would you have got out if you didn`t have trim tabs?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Artie

Visit site
I had been out in a pretty rough sea last January and decided, in the marina, to wash the boat down with a bucket of Boat wash and a soft broom. I washed the top and the starboard side and having got to the port side ( attached to the pontoon) I blithely walked backwards along the pontoon brushing suds all over the boat when.... My left foot went between the end of the pontoon and the D fendoring end piece. There I was foot jamed in, left knee bent over the top of the D fendering and my body and head underwater. Thank God I had not broken my leg! My foot would not come out of the D piece. I could not get myself up high enough to hold on to the pontoon to release my leg and I was stuck there thinking I would die of exposure. It was an eternity (about 5 mins later) when someone ventured down as far as me and I was able to get assistance in extracating myself. I really do consider myself lucky that this happened at lunch time and the guy opposite had gone to his boat to check his lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>