Fairline 36 Turbo - am I mad?

thejonesey

Visit site
Finally back in the water. The engine bay is transformed with new heat exchangers, intercoolers, seacocks, strainers and piping - now this area matches the incredible spec elsewhere. Link to original ad here Fairline Turbo 36 – Stunningly presented - Parker Adams Boat Sales to see all the interior work, new (ish ) generator, new nav, teak effect decks etc etc Lovely trip back to Gosport cruising at a steady 17 knots…. Which she can clearly do all day now. One or two things to finish off (aren’t there always) but we are now ready to explore. Very very excited!33AF67F6-649D-4BE0-96F3-DBD883DF3F0F.jpeg625F06B9-8DD4-48B2-B643-3A21F85562D4.jpeg

oldgit

Visit site
......a cracking practical boat , perhaps one of the most successful designs of the 1980s.
Quality of build still obvious all these years later and not looking dated unlike some fashion carbuncles of the period. No names of course.
We still have around half a dozen on our moorings and usually a Turbo 36 or three will always be found on club cruises, the internal accomodation ideal for more extended trips away.
Shame you cannot see bugger all out the back but every diamond has its flaw. !

thejonesey

Visit site
......a cracking practical boat , perhaps one of the most successful designs of the 1980s.
Quality of build still obvious all these years later and not looking dated unlike some fashion carbuncles of the period. No names of course.
We still have around half a dozen on our moorings and usually a Turbo 36 or three will always be found on club cruises, the internal accomodation ideal for more extended trips away.
Shame you cannot see bugger all out the back but every diamond has its flaw. !
She is great. It is our 11th boat having grown to 47ft, shrunk back, tried sports cruisers and even a Marex. I hope this is the last one… The other flaw is getting on and off!

sharpness

Visit site
She is great. It is our 11th boat having grown to 47ft, shrunk back, tried sports cruisers and even a Marex. I hope this is the last one… The other flaw is getting on and off!
The Turbo 36 has always been one of my favourite boats. The space inside is like a tardis. Your particular boat looks a great example (y)
As you've pointed out, it's only bad points were engine room access, which your mods have improved that situation, and getting on and off due to the high freeboard. If you didn't need a tender on the davits, then the mod in the pic below is a great solution.

Screenshot_20230523-222636.png

thejonesey

Visit site
The Turbo 36 has always been one of my favourite boats. The space inside is like a tardis. Your particular boat looks a great example (y)
As you've pointed out, it's only bad points were engine room access, which your mods have improved that situation, and getting on and off due to the high freeboard. If you didn't need a tender on the davits, then the mod in the pic below is a great solution.

View attachment 156997
We did look at that as a possible improvement but bought some really good steps instead!

Visit site
Question for 'thejonesy'... You have had 11 boats and now think the Turbo 36 will suit. Out of interest, what was it that you didn't like about the Marex (which Marex by the way), as that is a boat on my 'possible' list....

thejonesey

Visit site
Question for 'thejonesy'... You have had 11 boats and now think the Turbo 36 will suit. Out of interest, what was it that you didn't like about the Marex (which Marex by the way), as that is a boat on my 'possible' list....
In truth we keep changing our minds. Each has been great in its way. We had a Prestige 46 (which I loved) but I needed to cut my costs so we changed to a Marex 320ACC which was too small. Lovely boat though..
The T 36 means that I have maximised the space and reduced the capital outlay. There is also a lot of emotional connection that I won’t go into.

Baldbalti

Visit site
Finally back in the water. The engine bay is transformed with new heat exchangers, intercoolers, seacocks, strainers and piping - now this area matches the incredible spec elsewhere. Link to original ad here Fairline Turbo 36 – Stunningly presented - Parker Adams Boat Sales to see all the interior work, new (ish ) generator, new nav, teak effect decks etc etc Lovely trip back to Gosport cruising at a steady 17 knots…. Which she can clearly do all day now. One or two things to finish off (aren’t there always) but we are now ready to explore. Very very excited!View attachment 156866View attachment 156867
Stunning boat and loved the Parker Adam’s video. Just had survey completed on a 1988 Turbo 36 with TAMD 61s and subject to few bits and pieces being ironed out, hoping to complete the purchase soon. Can’t wait 😀

We also have a large dog and planned to get a passerelle fitted. Any chance you could share a couple of photos of how it is mounted please?

Last edited:

thejonesey

Visit site
The refurb continues…
New mattress for the aft cabin from Tim and Marine bedding.. highly recommended! I now have a massive cabin with the most comfortable bed!
Canopies are all refurbished - it has made a world of difference both to the look of the boat but more importantly to to those using her. A new front brow is on the way too.
We cleaned all the stainless with Innoprotect B580 and B570 - this was new to me and worked really well.

The next job is the 240v electrics which we are completely replacing to bring it up to modern specs and standards. The 12v will get some attention too.

We have now had a few trips and the engines are working brilliantly. 16-18 knots is a very comfortable cruise and will go through most weather!

It has become quite a refurbishment but we are still at a fraction of the cost of a more modern alternative. She’s not the prettiest but I like the little ship look and the canopies give us so much extra space!IMG_7904.jpeg

oldgit

Visit site
"She’s not the prettiest "

Have you seen some of the latest confections from the "Mad Max School of Pseudo" work rib boat design ? designed to proclaim that you are a rough tough old sea dog who will only go out in an F10 , shame about no accommodation and the bucket for a toilet ?

thejonesey

Visit site
The refurb is coming to an end.. for now! 240v and 12v all upgraded.
Distribution panel all rewired and labeled; new bilge pumps and wiring throughout. Addition circuit breakers added for all Nav gear; AC supply cables all replaced to modern standards; upgraded shore cables; Volvo panels repaired: usb sockets installed; everything checked named and brought back on line.

Before anyone complements me I should add that I found an amazing retired superyacht Chief Technical Officer who did all the work to the highest standard. He is very choosy about work so we, and the boat, were interviewed before he started! I have learned a great deal from him both in electrics and other areas.

So The Skylark now has rebuilt engines and renewed electrics to go with her fancy interior. All totally uneconomical but sometimes you fall hard for a boat. We just have to use her lots now!
1702580566435.jpeg

31fad61b-ba18-450f-94d5-03f766006193.jpegf4e733c6-deab-4a57-9b68-59ac1a50ef56.jpeg

superheat6k

Visit site

We also have a large dog and planned to get a passerelle fitted. Any chance you could share a couple of photos of how it is mounted please?
The mis match with our dog was amongst the key reasons for giving up the Turbo 36. We had two significant incidents of concern ...

1 We had left the home berth and was headed down river towards Bursledon Bridge from Riverside yard - I had gone forward along the stbd side deck to bring up the fenders. Archie our labradoodle decided to follow me, however I then turned back and collided with him. He was on the slippery sloping part of the side deck which not only slopes fwd but also outward from the aft deck, and down it he went. His front half was under the wire and I literally managed to grab his tail and fur on his back to prevent him going entirely.

Had he gone in, and in that position on the river, recovering him would have been very very difficult, so the consequence could have been very nasty.

2 Following an overnight in Weymouth Archie was desperate for his morning wee. I pulled back the curtain from the sloping patio door, and up he went and reached full gallop as he abruptly discovered the door was still shut. With the bright daylight streaming in he could not see the glass. The collision entirely floored him and he collapsed back down the steps where he was then writhing in agony. We had to find an emergency vet who strongly sedated him, and we had to take him back home to Hamble on the train, where in his drunken like stupor he whinged the whole way home. Fortunately he was not seriously hurt beyond bruising but this wrecked that week's holiday.

I then had to return to Weymouth the following day with some friends to recover the boat.

The high freeboard was always a PITA for getting him aboard. The Corvette 32 and now Grand Banks are a revelation in regards to dog friendliness.