Facebook - and other social media platforms

cherod

Visit site
Sparing?

I am apparently 24 years old with a pop singers name and an email address* that I created especially for Facebook.

I don't post anything about myself but, as has been mentioned, belong to some really useful local groups and follow some interesting people ... Leo from Tally Ho for example.

I'm sure Facebook know my location ... either approximately or exact. I don't care. Numerous people and companies have that information.

* regarding the emails I have about 20 ... all with Google and all totally unintelligible ... think "floorcurtain1" and 2 and 3 etc.

No hassle to manage ... I don't ... but if I give one to a company and start getting spam (VERY rare) I know who is selling my data.

After a while if I trust the company I simply change the email to my normal one.

I wonder if there is a floorcurtain1@gmail.com ????
sorry , i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about .:unsure:

Tony Cross

Visit site
It's rather like someone telling to you go to your local pub to meet people. You wouldn't walk in the door and shout at the top of your voice your name, age, sexual preference, your address, list your old schools, your employment history, etc. Social media is the same. Join by all means, but limit what information you provide to the bare minimum, be selective who you engage with and what you post. Stay well away from all the games, horoscope, what tellytubbie are you, etc. links - many of these are questionable. Any photos or videos you post you should consider as being publicly available, no matter what privacy setting you have. It's wise to assume that anything you post anywhere on the Internet is publicly available - even on here.

Create a separate gmail/yahoo/hotmail email address for registering and don't use that address for anything else. Never post you primary, private email address anywhere on the Internet.

Social media is a useful tool for communicating with friends and relatives and some of the groups are useful too, but assume that you're in a public place where anyone can see and hear you, so be careful what you reveal about yourself. :)

CapPugwash

Visit site
It's rather like someone telling to you go to your local pub to meet people. You wouldn't walk in the door and shout at the top of your voice your name, age, sexual preference, your address, list your old schools, your employment history, etc. Social media is the same. Join by all means, but limit what information you provide to the bare minimum, be selective who you engage with and what you post. Stay well away from all the games, horoscope, what tellytubbie are you, etc. links - many of these are questionable. Any photos or videos you post you should consider as being publicly available, no matter what privacy setting you have. It's wise to assume that anything you post anywhere on the Internet is publicly available - even on here.

Create a separate gmail/yahoo/hotmail email address for registering and don't use that address for anything else. Never post you primary, private email address anywhere on the Internet.

Social media is a useful tool for communicating with friends and relatives and some of the groups are useful too, but assume that you're in a public place where anyone can see and hear you, so be careful what you reveal about yourself. :)

All good advice, however please also consider using Firefox with its special Facebook Container. If you are an Apple lover, you will be interested to hear that Apple purchase Firefox technology to construct Safari.

I am going to create a post on this subject to avoid derailing this thread, sorry beermonkey.

beermonkey

Visit site
All good advice, however please also consider using Firefox with its special Facebook Container. If you are an Apple lover, you will be interested to hear that Apple purchase Firefox technology to construct Safari.

I am going to create a post on this subject to avoid derailing this thread, sorry beermonkey.
No worries, please do share your expertise, it is very interesting - is Safari as safe to use too then?

GHA

Visit site
...... Facebook’s virus like behaviour.

Care to elaborate please?

Quick google search came up with ..
Originally Answered: How does facebook track user's browsing history to display ads?
Facebook doesn't/can't track your behavior on other websites such as Amazon. Rather, Facebook provides the means for those websites you visited earlier to show you ads on Facebook based on your browsing behavior on those non-Facebook sites.

Here's what is happening:

When you visit a site like Amazon, a cookie is dropped on your browser containing not just who you are, but info on what products you might be interested in (hence the books from your wish list showing up in ads later on).
Amazon's display media partner will pass the unique identifier of your browser and the cookie data through to Facebook to see if you're browsing Facebook right now.
If you're on Facebook right now, Amazon's display media partner can bid on your impression, and if they win the auction they will show you an ad tailored to your cookie data (i.e. they will show you an ad based on the products you viewed earlier on Amazon).

There is a simple walk through on Business Insider that outlines the process: Understanding Facebook's FBX — Social Media's First Ad Exchange

What's the facebook virus?

CLB

Visit site
Forums are dying. Facebook groups are the thing now. Personally I prefer a forum, but the fact is that more and more forums that I am a member of are dying, while Facebook groups covering the same subject are growing. That is a reality we have to face. YBW's days are numbered I tell ya.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I resisted Facebook for a long time but got fed up with links I tried to access telling me I had to sign up. Have done but under a false name and don't post there, just read what I want. Know nothing about Twitter and other social media, just not interested. Have several different email accounts for different purposes, one kept specifically for banking and investments, another for purchasing etc.

nortada

Visit site
Forums are dying. Facebook groups are the thing now. Personally I prefer a forum, but the fact is that more and more forums that I am a member of are dying, while Facebook groups covering the same subject are growing. That is a reality we have to face. YBW's days are numbered I tell ya.
Disagree.

Facebook and other hierarchical set ups are for instant gratification. Ask/say you get an instant response but no further development of the thread. It quickly gets overtaken by the next point/discussion, buried and lost.

Conversely, a discrete forum thread can be debated, discussed to a conclusion and if necessary resurrected at a later date.

So instant gratification social media and forums meet different needs and will continue to coexist.

YBW is here to stay.

CLB

Visit site
Disagree.

Facebook and other hierarchical set ups are for instant gratification. Ask/say you get an instant response but no further development of the thread. It quickly gets overtaken by the next point/discussion, buried and lost.

Conversely, a discrete forum thread can be debated, discussed to a conclusion and if necessary resurrected at a later date.

So instant gratification social media and forums meet different needs and will continue to coexist.

YBW is here to stay.

Not disagreeing, and if you read my post I do prefer a forum, and for the very reasons you mention. But you can't hide from the fact that many forums are dying. It will just take a little longer to kill off the bigger ones like YBW.

nortada

Visit site
Not disagreeing, and if you read my post I do prefer a forum, and for the very reasons you mention. But you can't hide from the fact that many forums are dying. It will just take a little longer to kill off the bigger ones like YBW.

Well aware we agree, but I was just offering another dimension to the discussion.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just to put some people right here, it was Facebook sailing sites that kept people informed what was happening in each country , which country would allow cruisers to stop and get supplies and upto date infor fro cruisers on the move saying what to expect when you arrive in such countries their been in over the last few days , all this while the Covid virus shut down was going on early this year , sorry guys there was nothing here on YBW given that type of info just chat for armchair sailors .
So social media platforms have got there place In The cruising world , like it or not .

Daverw

Visit site
Don’t use it much for personal stuff but some of the sailing user groups are good, especially for buying and selling sailing stuff, I’ve used this quite a bit, easy quick and no costs and mostly buying of other sailers.
live never had any issues with privac, have little on my profile, never play any of the games or follow links to adds.

Cariadco

Visit site
I've been using FB for years and years, whilst living in lots and lots of different countries.
I'd have said I was semi Tech savvy.
Never ever had any problems, at all. and neither has my Wife or her elderly Father.
Oh, and Your email is not shown to anyone.
It's brilliant for keeping in touch with friends , making lots of new ones.
And you'll find loads of interesting groups, that are relevant to your personal interests.
Yes, I'm a fan.

scruff

Visit site
Facebook is very important in some peoples lives, where else could you post pictures of what you have eaten for breakfast, to thousands of uninterested readers, also, its something to look at whilst pushing your pram across a busy main road.

Just checking your position here;
Social media in the form of Facebook = bad,
Social media in the form of YBW forums = good?

Social media is what you make it and it can be great. For instance my facebook is more of a Forum aggregator whereby my "feed" is full of topics which interest me ranging from Triathlon, Sailing, Skiing, Hill walking and any number of things which sound interesting. Any friends who post crap soon get unfriended / un-followed / muted.

As for the lack of archive, I'd suggest the search function on Facebook works better than the search function on here to find out information / past topics.

There is a very good reason why facebook et al is so popular.

Davy_S

Visit site
Just checking your position here;
Social media in the form of Facebook = bad,
Social media in the form of YBW forums = good?
As I am sure you know, i never said Facebook was bad! it was a lighthearted comment, it has its uses of course, varying from buy and sell, family contacts and support groups, what amazes me, is the sheer stupidity of some of its users, the personal information that some disclose is frightening, and then they wonder why they get scammed or burgled, there is also a dark side of Facebook, regulations of disclosure need tightening up.

GHA

Visit site
As for the lack of archive, I'd suggest the search function on Facebook works better than the search function on here to find out information / past topics.
Forum searches are well known to be rubbish, better off using google adding "site:ybw.com", like "site:ybw.com facebook and other - Google Search"

No one has mention hashtags either, which sometimes can be fascinating of a rapidly evolving situation though maybe more so on twitter, live tweets coming off that cruise liner which nearly hit the rocks in Norway last winter were like having a live feed from the boat, newsfeeds hours behind and often used the exact tweet wording.