Fabric project supplier

lustyd

Visit site
Hi all, does anyone know of a good supplier for stuff to make fabric projects? Kayospruce seem to have given up on their website and are never open when I'm in the area, Hawkehouse is a similar story and just too much work to buy from. Profabric seem pretty reliable but very limited on their range. Although I like Sailrite the wait times and import shenanigans just make it hard to buy from there. Ebay/Aliexpress is so variable on what you actually receive it's a non-starter for me, and Amazon just gives too many random items.

So, are there any good suppliers in the UK?

Editing to add and make clear: The above suppliers are good for their target demographic. Hawke House, Kayospruce and Profabric have all given good service to me in the past but their range is lacking and it's just too hard to buy from them. DIY is clearly not the target market of these businesses, and that's fine by me, I would just like an option where I feel like they want to deal with me and have a good range.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Hi all, does anyone know of a good supplier for stuff to make fabric projects? Kayospruce seem to have given up on their website and are never open when I'm in the area, Hawkehouse is a similar story and just too much work to buy from. Profabric seem pretty reliable but very limited on their range. Although I like Sailrite the wait times and import shenanigans just make it hard to buy from there. Ebay/Aliexpress is so variable on what you actually receive it's a non-starter for me, and Amazon just gives too many random items.

Have you tried Fabric & Trimmings | Solent Sewing Machines

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Martin_J

Visit site
If you're near Kayospruce then there are a couple of others very nearby but they're likely to open similar (week)days to the Kayospruce counter..

If you're looking for fabrics then how about Contender in Segensworth.. they'll have WeatherMAX for example in stock that I doubt the other two stock...

WeatherMAX Outdoor Performance Cover Fabrics

(When last there I added some velcro to the order. I only wanted a couple of meters but had to buy it on 25 metre spools... What I have left will last me a while).

If you're looking for thread, fabrics and many other sundries, try Bainbridge International just behind the Marks and Spencer in Hedge End... I sew all my outdoor projects with Solarfix PFTE thread now and I couldn't find that anywhere else..

Bainbridge International > SolarFix Thread

and if you want to visit another local supplier then head down to Baseline Marine on the way to Lee on the Solent.

As well as stocking fabrics, they'll have every other fitting you might need for sprayhood or canopy making.

Last edited:

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site

I just 'click and collect' at Kayospruce. You know they will be open then. You can examine materials when you are 'click and collecting'. Thats what we did for the last order, waterproofed canvas for a dinghy cover and rope bags.

They always seem to have what I want.

lustyd

Visit site
I just 'click and collect' at Kayospruce. You know they will be open then. You can examine materials when you are 'click and collecting'. Thats what we did for the last order, waterproofed canvas for a dinghy cover and rope bags.

They always seem to have what I want.
Can't click because their website has been broken ("under development") for over a year with no prices, no stock info, and most of their range not listed, or even a way to place an order. Can't collect because they're never open when I'm in Hampshire.

lustyd

Visit site
If you're near Kayospruce then there are a couple of others very nearby but they're likely to open similar (week)days to the Kayospruce counter..

If you're looking for fabrics then how about Contender in Segensworth.. they'll have WeatherMAX for example in stock that I doubt the other two stock...

WeatherMAX Outdoor Performance Cover Fabrics

(When last there I added some velcro to the order. I only wanted a couple of meters but had to buy it on 25 metre spools... What I have left will last me a while).

If you're looking for thread, fabrics and many other sundries, try Bainbridge International just behind the Marks and Spencer in Hedge End... I sew all my outdoor projects with Solarfix PFTE thread now and I couldn't find that anywhere else..

Bainbridge International > SolarFix Thread

and if you want to visit another local supplier then head down to Baseline Marine on the way to Lee on the Solent.

As well as stocking fabrics, they'll have every other fitting you might need for sprayhood or canopy making.
Thanks hadn't seen either of those

Martin_J

Visit site
One thing you mention is variable quality on things from unknown suppliers.

It may sound petty but one thing I do buy from Profabrics (that you also mentioned) is the webbing to webbing side release buckles.

I find it a right pain when squeezing cheaper makes and they stay joined. It's nice when with one squeeze, the two parts separate like a rocket...

The good ones just 'work'.

Screenshot_20230509-141230_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pettiness over...

Martin_J

Visit site
Lustyd..

I forgot to say that if you're headed from the Chichester direction then just off the Fishbourne roundabout you will find C and J marine. Generally known for their sprayhoods and canopies but will also sell you the individual parts and fabrics .. website and collection (but closed at weekends)..

Shop - C&J Marine

Edit : couldn't spell roundabout.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
It may sound petty but one thing I do buy from Profabrics (that you also mentioned) is the webbing to webbing side release buckles.

I find it a right pain when squeezing cheaper makes and they stay joined. It's nice when with one squeeze, the two parts separate like a rocket...

The good ones just 'work'.
Couldn't agree more, and it makes me cross when these plastic bits are made and don't work. The very definition of single use tat.

lustyd

Visit site
Lustyd..

I forgot to say that if you're headed from the Chichester direction then just off the Fishbourne runabout you will find C and J marine. Generally known for their sprayhoods and canopies but will also sell you the individual parts and fabrics .. website and collection (but closed at weekends)..

Shop - C&J Marine
Thanks, forgot about these and I think they are also at Port Solent from memory