Ext. Speaker for VHF

G

I have a Navico 6500S VHF set and would like to fit a cockpit speaker. Unfortunatley the book of words does not specify the parameters of a speaker that can be used. It was my intention to ruggedize(?) a car speaker. Can any one please tell me what sort of size I can fit?

Thanks
Chris

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Chris,
The book should (and I say should) tell you whether is is a 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm speaker to fit as an extension. Physical size is not a problem. The impedance/resistance is. I have fitted two to my Navico, but as the manual is on the boat, I cannot help you more than this.

The manual for my spare Husun 70 VHF shows an 8 ohm extension speaker. So I will assume the Navico to be the same.

regards,
Philip

G

The extension speaker for my 'Standard' VHF was also 8 ohm.
I bought a couple of cheap Blaupunkt from Halfords. Worked fine.

lazyjack

Visit site
I fitted a single,low-cost speaker to my Hussun VHF last summer and it works fairly well(£9.98 from Cruisermart). One drawback is that plugging in the cockpit speaker disconnects the Hussun`s internal speaker. The July issue of PBO has a good article on this dilemma and how to overcome it; also, some information about speaker sizes.Hope this is helpful.

G

Don't use any old speaker make sure that is the correct impedance (ohms) for your VHF. In the cockpit you must use a mylar cone or it will get wet and soggy!! Buy a proper one there are some handy little square ones to match Autohelm/Nasa instruments. Like "Lazyjack" says - read the article in the PBO it was "Sound" advice (pardon the pun!!).

Bergman

Visit site
About 8 years ago I bought a pair of extension speakers from our local motor accessory shop for about a fiver.

Ruggedised one by sealing it with clingfilm and Sikaflex. Kept the second as a spare for when the first one died.

It was still working perfectly yesterday afternoon.

I wired it directly into the back of the set across the extension jack I think, so both speakers work together.

I have the spare gonig cheap if you want it.

G

Thanks - I made one out of an old radio speaker in the end - works beautifully

G

When you plug in a loud speaker it has to two electical criteria,impedance& power.Look in your book and in there somewhere you should find the output impedance maybe 5 ohms,you also need to know the power output in RMS ( root mean square) of the set.the cable length within reason is not a problem.You can use a 10w speaker with 5w out but not reverse

double trouble

Other threads that may be of interest