Experiences of drogues: Shark or Galerider?

skippeer

Visit site
Thanks for many different ideas/solutions but to sleep well I need something easy to handle if the unexpected happens.
Rather recently I read about another sailing yacht with steering issue in the middle of Biscay and the crew had many hours with a rocking boat until they reached the coast and rescue resources could assist.
It can be a horror experience to be towed without a working rudder.

I will order the Shark drogue that I found a way of submitting an order.
Finger crossed for the summer....

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Thanks for many different ideas/solutions but to sleep well I need something easy to handle if the unexpected happens.
Rather recently I read about another sailing yacht with steering issue in the middle of Biscay and the crew had many hours with a rocking boat until they reached the coast and rescue resources could assist.
It can be a horror experience to be towed without a working rudder.

I will order the Shark drogue that I found a way of submitting an order.
Finger crossed for the summer....

Good point about towing. I jammed a rudder ~ 15 degrees to one side (submerged log at 10-12 knots). A tow would have been interesting. As it was, I disconected one rudder and used twin engine throttles to get in. But a tow would have been pretty weird. A drogue can also help being towed in following waves.

I've used the Shark (I tested the Small Shark, Galerider, Delta Drogue, Seabrake, JSD, warps, and plain cones). One of the best.

Do practice ahead of time. Play with rode length, from quite long (heavy weather) to only the bridle-to-winches (steering). You'll learn boat-specific stuff. You will also want a tail weight, either a small anchor or some chain.