Experience with Ellebogen mounts

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Surely the left one is not as standard/new? Is that a broken mount?

The right hand engine appears to perhaps be at higher revs, too.

Of course Yanmar, like all manufacturers, will be looking at cost/convenience/what they've always done before in obtaining supplies of things like mounts. So not necessarily the best.

andsarkit

Visit site
I agree that the first engine has aftermarket mounts. This is probably because the Yanmar mounts are overpriced tat. They are very poorly painted and rust out unless frequently repainted and do not pass USA regulations for security if the rubber fails unless a wire loop is fitted around the mount.
I have ASAP (R&D) replacement mounts and they transmit a big thump through the hull at tickover but my tickover is very slow which aids low speed manouevering.
At less than half the price of Yanmar mounts I would be very interested in the Elleborgen mounts but does anyone know of a UK supplier?
From their website : 1689255871654.png
Also Cruising Association members get a 10% discount.

rgarside

Visit site
I agree that the first engine has aftermarket mounts. This is probably because the Yanmar mounts are overpriced tat. They are very poorly painted and rust out unless frequently repainted and do not pass USA regulations for security if the rubber fails unless a wire loop is fitted around the mount.
I have ASAP (R&D) replacement mounts and they transmit a big thump through the hull at tickover but my tickover is very slow which aids low speed manouevering.
At less than half the price of Yanmar mounts I would be very interested in the Elleborgen mounts but does anyone know of a UK supplier?
From their website : View attachment 159875
Also Cruising Association members get a 10% discount.
I too replaced the Yanmar mounts on my 1GM10 with R&D mounts. Initially after fitting them there was a big thump at tick-over. I fitted 5mm tufnol shims under the support pads of the R&D mounts, this gave additional clearance under the centre part of the R&D mount, which is the part that was hitting the engine beds. Since then, no problem. Not had to look for further improvements so no views on the Ellebogen mounts.

SvenH

Visit site
I ordered a set earlier this week and all arrived three days later in The Netherlands.
Very happy with how things went and how everything is packaged.

Will be fitting them the coming weeks so no feedback on how they work yet.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
The mounts on the Yanmar 4JH4-HTE engine fitted to our boat are OE. The boat is fully US Coastguard approved as well as RCD Cat A.

I maintain my vessel, where possible, myself. Only the rig and electronics get the pro's.

I had a big job last year which needed the engine lifted 5 inches to access 3 retaining bolts for the fuel injection pump. First Mate had a great idea and we raised it with an air bag. While raised I supported the engine with blocks and removed each engine mount in turn.

The mounts were cleaned, very closely inspected, found servicable, primed, painted and replaced. New ones, with VAT and shipping would have been close to a thousand pounds.

The vessel is American built, has done 1700 plus engine hours. One mount was showing signs of rusting, the one that gets seawater on it when servicing the heat exchanger. The others were quite good. All of the rubber to metal bonding was tight, no cracks or separation visible, even when loads applied to attempt separation. I am satisfied Yanmar got the design of these mounts right.

The 1GM10 though, is a different matter. Lots of movement at idle with those. The possibilities for early failure are much higher.

Many American owners change their 4JH4-HTE and other multi cylinder engine mounts at 1,000 hours.

Yanmar parts are SO much cheaper stateside...................................................

fredrussell

Visit site
I’m ashamed to admit that the mounts on my 3GM30 are almost certainly the original 33 year old OE ones. Engine sits there ‘solidly’ whilst running and idling and I don’t stress about it. I’m of the ‘if it ain’t broke’ persuasion which I accept is not always the best approach, but the engineer in me thinks that the more cylinders, the smoother the engine, and I console (delude?) myself with that.

Rappey

Visit site
Ive just refitted a 1gm after putting in new rings. The engine mountings behave more like soft foam than decent rubber and how much ££ per mount ? :eek:.
Why can't landrover type mounts be used? Only £25 for 4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_110218_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_110218_eBay.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2

andsarkit

Visit site
Ive just refitted a 1gm after putting in new rings. The engine mountings behave more like soft foam than decent rubber and how much ££ per mount ? :eek:.
Why can't landrover type mounts be used? Only £25 for 4.
Marine mounts need to be stiff in a horizontal direction to take the propeller thrust and compliant in the vertical direction to absorb engine movement. Car and plant mounts are not usually designed for this horizontal thrust. UK prices for Yanmar ones are silly hence the interest in Ellebogen mounts.

Rappey

Visit site
movement. Car and plant mounts are not usually designed for this horizontal thrust.
I kind of thought that but asap have mounts similar to lr ones but for marine engines ?
A 1gm10 is no more than 90kg so 22.5kg on a mount whereas a lr one has to take a 450kg engine with a lot more torque.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_123818_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_123818_Samsung Internet.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 3

rotrax

Visit site
UK prices for Yanmar ones are silly hence the interest in Ellebogen mounts.
All Yanmar prices in the UK are a pisstake. Not only that, the importer, EP Barrus, employ know-nothings in their tech support department.

They refered me to a busy dealer as the knowlege available at Bicester was non existant! Plus, when I pointed out a glaring mistake in an important diagram in the repair manual, it was clear the guy I was speaking to did not give a shit.

An ex collegue from my days at the BLMC Service School at Cowley once had the job of Yanmar service manager at EP Barrus. He knew his stuff! The current lot are a waste of space and prices are outrageous. Several years ago I had to pay-no alternative-almost £400 for a simple 4 cylinder pushrod cylinder head gasket.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
I kind of thought that but asap have mounts similar to lr ones but for marine engines ?
A 1gm10 is no more than 90kg so 22.5kg on a mount whereas a lr one has to take a 450kg engine with a lot more torque.
When you stick a boat in ahead, the prop loads up the engine, pushing it forward quite hard. The mounts must take this forward thrust. It is less in astern, the prop is less efficient, but still needs designing for. Car type mounts have a different function.

Our Aircraft Carriers suffer from this fault, due to their massive power. The thrust must be incredible, as must be the engineering to cope with it.

SvenH

Visit site
One of the comments underneath one of the ellebogen videos states that the rubber gets stiffer over time, changing the resonance frequency of the system, thus resulting in shaking.

My engine shakes like one in the videos, I am curious if that changes.
Shame I cannot make a before and after video, boat is on the hard, giving more freedom to change than after splash.

Will make the after video...

Oh, the mounts are matched to engine weight, so you may be able to use a different brand altogether (menotanexpert!), but not just any mount.

Drumm

Visit site
Just received my new Ellebogen mounts here in UK. Great service, price and fast delivery. On initial inspection they look excellent. Just need to fit them to my Malo37, replacing the 16 year old Yanmars.

Matwill

Visit site
he is very knowledgeable and accessible on fb (at least in the 2gm20 group), provides test data and advice on how to best balance the engine, when i need mounts which will be in a season or 2 ill be getting them from him