Experience Using Alkylate 2 Stroke Fuel in Low HP Outboards

VicS

Visit site
Post service I will use an Alkylate 2 stroke blended fuel and see how it goes. I kind of like the environmental benefits as well. When it was working, everything about my 2 stroke suggests that banning them was a good idea! Hopefully the fumes, sheen and smoke will be significantly less.
2 strokes are not banned. Small carburreted 2 strokes simply do not comply with the emissions regulations. The major outboard manufacturers have continued to market large 2 stroke engines but they have fuel injection systems with oil metering.

Refueler

Visit site
2 strokes are not banned. Small carburreted 2 strokes simply do not comply with the emissions regulations. The major outboard manufacturers have continued to market large 2 stroke engines but they have fuel injection systems with oil metering.

Any small Chinese motobikes round your way .. you know the 100 .. 125 ... up to 250cc ?? 2strokes except for the high priced offerings ...

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

Okay, thanks for the clarification, I am partially correct as some fail to meet the emission regulations and are therefore banned from use in the UK.

VicS

Visit site
Any small Chinese motobikes round your way .. you know the 100 .. 125 ... up to 250cc ?? 2strokes except for the high priced offerings ...
There are no motor bikes in my immediate neighbourhood and I have not the faintest idea about the nationality or cubic capacity of any in the wider area.

This is a discussion about outboard engines not motorbikes . The emissions regulations I am referring to are, as you well know, part of the Recreational Craft Directive They do not apply to motorbikes, nor for that matter to outboards used for commercial purposes. They do, however, also apply to inboard engines in recreational craft.

B27

Visit site
I think you'll find all the small bikes for sale today are 4 stroke and probably EFI, the exceptions being competition and off road models which are not road legal. I think this applies to the whole EU as well as the UK.

Refueler

Visit site
I think you'll find all the small bikes for sale today are 4 stroke and probably EFI, the exceptions being competition and off road models which are not road legal. I think this applies to the whole EU as well as the UK.

Maybe ... when I was in Africa - there were millions of them and all acting as Taxis !!

jdc

Visit site
I had a very bad experience with Aspen pre-blended 2-stroke in my Mercury 3.3; after only a few minutes on the Aspen pre-mix (6? maybe 10) a piston ring snapped. It had done perhaps 100 hours prior to that with marine 2T oil.

Could have been coincidence of course, but since then, I've used Aspen 4-stroke petrol and blended it with marine 2T oil at 50:1 without problem in the same (repaired) outboard. I do use Aspen 2-stroke pre-blend in the chain saw and strimmer, and sometimes Aspen 4T in the lawnmower. I'd have no hesitation using it in a 4-stroke outboard.

Goldie

Visit site
Okay, thanks for the clarification, I am partially correct as some fail to meet the emission regulations and are therefore banned from use in the UK.

Not my understanding. The SALE of new, small two strokes to non-commercial operators is banned, but if you already have one, you can legally use it. Commercial operators can still buy them - go figure!

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Oh, another unreliable outboard thread. I do hope you have read the user manual and have had it serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

I use normal garage supplied E10 petrol in both my small outboards (Yamaha 2.5 4 stroke, Suzuki 2.2 2 stroke) with no problems at all.

I change the spark plugs every year and anfter use always run the outboard in fresh water until all the fuel is used in the carburettor flow bowl and the engine dies. Failing to do this will result in the unreliability you currently experience.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Oh, another unreliable outboard thread. …

What is the unreliable information? The fuel going off?

Interested because I got the service report back, “sand and jelly” in carburettor bowl, cleaned carburettor and new spark plug, fuel added.

The report also says in bold red text, “do not use petrol over one month old.” This is why I am asking, I easily can have petrol over 1 month old, low use outboard.

Boathook

Visit site

Interested because I got the service report back, “sand and jelly” in carburettor bowl, cleaned carburettor and new spark plug, fuel added.

The report also says in bold red text, “do not use petrol over one month old.” This is why I am asking, I easily can have petrol over 1 month old, low use outboard.
Add an enzyme treatment to the fuel and it, I feel makes a difference plus E5 fuel. It did for my Malta 2 stroke.
My main engine is a honda 30 so I can get through petrol at times but I still treat the fuel with an enzyme additive just in case; plus at the end of a 'trip' and the engine wont be used for a few weeks I empty the carbs by disconnecting the fuel line at the engine and leave the engine running until it stops.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I use premium E5 petrol with Honda fuel additive. Works for me for Honda 2.3, 2T strimmer, lawnmower and small generator. Had a problem this year with the Honda, cleaned the carb which had some 'blobs' of glutinous stuff in & water in the bowl. Worked fine after cleaning.

B27

Visit site
Running the carb dry is not really an option if the last trip of the cruise is a beach landing where you have to tilt the outboard up.
That's exactly the time I'll be running the carb dry.
Or trying to!
I turn off the fuel before reaching the breach, and if I need a few strokes of a paddle to get to the beach, so be it.
I may not get the carb totally empty, but it reduces the spills and smells.

Refueler

Visit site

Its Posterior saving comment ... nothing more.

Join the club - who have petrol sitting more than a month ....

I've posted this before and repeat :

Gasoline of ALL grades and we can include Gasoil (Diesel) in this as well of all grades ...

1. Store in good sealing container
2. Choose a container that is dark in colour - does not let light through.
3. Choose storage location that is preferably cool and dark - or at least no direct sunlight.

That fuel will stay for months ... I have used fuel that has actually stood for years and turned slightly brown from the tank metal its sat in ..

Refueler

Visit site
That's exactly the time I'll be running the carb dry.
Or trying to!
I turn off the fuel before reaching the breach, and if I need a few strokes of a paddle to get to the beach, so be it.
I may not get the carb totally empty, but it reduces the spills and smells.

Reminds me of the days with Seagull !! Got to be a dab hand at gauging when to shut the fuel of !!

dunedin

Visit site
Importantly these two strokes are not banned from USE in the UK, just not able to be sold new. Hence why the active market in good second hand 2.5 / 3.3hp two stroke outboards.
PS. This relates to general waters - some inland waters clearly have additional restrictions on some or all motors, and if your main usage was on an inland water then a two stroke might not be a friendly option.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I had a Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke which was difficult to start as it didn’t get used a vast amount. Switched to Aspen 2 stroke and it started first pull every time after that, even when left for months between use. Didn’t do anything to it other than running the carb empty at the end of a trip.
On the other hand I’ve got a Mercury 2.5 hp 2 stroke which gets used most days through the summer. I drain the carb at the end of the season and junk the fuel in the tank, replenish with new fuel at the start of the next summer. And it generally starts first or second pull on being put back into service and first pull thereafter, which is kind of important as the Admiral has to have conscience in it otherwise I have to take her ashore all the time……

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
... Interested because I got the service report back, “sand and jelly” in carburettor bowl, cleaned carburettor and new spark plug, fuel added.

Incorrect, technically, but good observations we can interpret.

The "sand and jelly" are not symptoms of non-alkylate gas, but they are symptoms of aluminum corrosion, most likely due to ethanol and water in combination (it takes both). In the US we have been living with E10 for 30 years.
  • Sand. It could not actually be sand, because of the filter. Most likely corrosion products generated right in the carb.
  • Jelly. Almost certainly and aluminum hydroxide gel from corrosion.
That is what happens when you put brass and aluminum together in the presence of water (and alcohol that dissolves it).

----

Aspen is a very stable fuel. If you turn your fuel over a few times each year it is probably complete waste of money. But I have used it and it works very well. But I have used e10 for 30 years without trouble, because I ...
  • Keep it dry
  • Use an anti-corrosion additive
  • Never let a motor sit for more than 3-4 months without starting them. Includes lawn tools. I figure this is good for all of the parts.