Exchanging a UK licence for a Portugese, question re categories

Jungle Jim

Visit site
Has anyone here with a UK licence with 'grandfather' rights exchanged their licence for a Portugese one, and if so did you gain any categories, specifically A for motorbikes?

My friend (Brit ex-pat, recent Portugese resident) has until Brexit day to swop her licence or she will need to take a Portugese driving test. We are in the middle of motorcycle training in the UK but will not have the A2 test before Brexit, and she can't take the A2 test after Brexit as she will no longer have a British licence. We are trying to work out how to both exchange the licence in time and get the motorcycle category.

As we are of an age, we both have the category A bit on our UK licences but with the 79(3) afterwards that our instructor tells us means we have restrictions until we pass tests. However on purchasing my IDP today, I appear to have been upgraded to full Cat A as the Post Office lady appears to be ignorant of the restrictions. My friend has also been told by bikers in Portugal that have seen her licence that she has the full motorcycle licence (I assume they are also ignorant of the restrictions part).

If anyone has exchanged licences already would you mind checking if you got upgraded, as I assume the Portugese authorities might be making the same mistakes.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions here, no matter how this goes we will of course continue with the training and get to A2 level before we unleash ourselves on the unsuspecting public :encouragement:.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
EU licenses should be exchanged like for like but, "I'm told" a motorbike up to 125cc can be driven on a car license here without any further tests. Although there's far less traffic outside towns here compared to UK, the Portuguese drive like Kamikaze pilots so riding small bikes a bit risky.

Jungle Jim

Visit site
When we changed ours to French ones I became a decade younger and the wife somehow now has a HGV licence, at present ours are in the system to become Spanish one's, I've always fancied driving a Rocket......

If I get ten years knocked off I could be a toy-boy :)

Wandering Star

Visit site
EU licenses should be exchanged like for like but, "I'm told" a motorbike up to 125cc can be driven on a car license here without any further tests. Although there's far less traffic outside towns here compared to UK, the Portuguese drive like Kamikaze pilots so riding small bikes a bit risky.
we exchanged our UK licenses forIrish ones, we were asked whether we wanted to retain certain categories which we could have done but really no point so we dropped all but the car category. When our licenses arrive the did include motorcycles up to 125cc. We’ve never ridden motorbikes and n fact I’m s ared stiff of the things.

Visit site
EU licenses should be exchanged like for like but, "I'm told" a motorbike up to 125cc can be driven on a car license here without any further tests. /QUOTE]
Correct but only for over 25s. and no sidecar and not souped up. Includes trikes.
Se o titular da categoria B possuir idade igual ou superior a 25 anos fica também habilitado para a condução de motociclos sem carro lateral – com cilindrada não superior a 125 cm3 e de potência máxima até 11 KW e relação peso/potência não superior a 0,1KW/Kg – e triciclos com potência máxima não superior a 15KW.

Jungle Jim

Visit site
Perfect, even if they knock ten years off I'm pretty sure I can pass for over 25 :D

She does live up in the mountains though so I'm not sure what a 125 will make of my 16 stone up some of the hills.