Excessive engine smoke

G

Have recently replaced old engines for 2 Ford sabre 150hp.Originally they were turbo charged, but due to engine room space are now aspirated. On start up i experience thick smoke, due to excessive fuel on start, but when the engines are running at optimum temperature i still have problems with smoke, compared to other vessels at the marina. Can anyone advise how we can reduce this problem as it does become embarassing when manoevering in harbour. Engines are regularly serviced and maintained.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

have you had the injector pumps etc recalibrated? now that they are not turbo charged?
it is not simply a case of leaving the turbos off, you have to change loads of other things as well. if you havent that will explain the excess smke as well as the gobbling of fuel
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
What colour is the smoke?

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

david_bagshaw

Visit site
What colour is the smoke , if blue, this is normal for the sabre 150 until the engine is throughly warm, not by running at the berth , but underway at 1700 or above until the water temp is up to 80.

We have 2 x sabre 150s turbo and they have always been smokey while cold, from new.

Due I believe to the fact they are an early (70s) turbo charged engine, and used a low compression ratio, to lower stresses, combined with a ring design that allowed more oil on the cylinders. (the up side is a very smooth engine, that feels as if it could run forever)

As another has said the pump will need recalibrating at least, as there is no boost pressure/ fuel control on the pump, so if the engine is well loaded, you will get black smoke.

<hr width=100% size=1>David
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.euroboating.net>http://www.euroboating.net</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
If you PM me. I have some Soltron which will cure your problem.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

brianhumber

Visit site
Brief reply :
thick blue smoke is oil
thick black smoke is uncompleted combustion
Blue smoke is caused by engine being cold or worn rings, I seem to remember our workboat Sabres being smoky when cold even in Malaysia even after overhaul.
Black smoke would be the fuels pumps have not been adjusted to take into account the TCs being removed. Not an easy thing to achieve over the whole power range of the new installation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
soltron to cure an overfuel situation caused by not fitting turbos!!!!!!
what ever next, sounds like magic to me, i'll bet it does all sorts of other things as well,
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

omega2

Visit site
Speak to Sabre, but I am sure the cylinder heads are different between turbo'd and non turbo'd, also as stated the pump will need (seeing to), get them sorted before they let you down in a big way. The old 150/180s will run forever if treated properly, albeit create a bit of smoke on start up and may upset a few raggies in the Marina, but when warmed up (by driving them) i.e. not ticking over in the berth they will clean up quickly, if you find a Ford based Sabre 150/180 that is clean on start up let me know I will have two.

<hr width=100% size=1>J HAMER