Ever done this?

Judders

Visit site
Yes. That was, we found, the best way of getting onto our berth at Deacons. Sadly, by the time we'd perfected it, it was time to move on.

Richard10002

Visit site
I'm not sure what's being done? does the yacht in the channel turn to starboard onto the berth, (the one with no lines on it)?

and what's so special about it?

(asked from a point of naievety rather than expertedness).

My current berth is the port side to one, and we often go alongside with the wind blowing us in... I guess that's easier than the starboard side to example in the picture?

Visit site
That vital fender always pops!

Then you'm in all sorts of trouble trying to avoid the corner of the finger pier causing serious damage.

Approach the way he does but put the helm over to swing the bow into the eye of the wind at the same time as you line up with the berth and drop gently back in without danger of being T-Boned.

Surely most of us with marina berths do this at least 50% of the time?

Crazy American idea, no doubt. ("Slip" see?)

Steve Cronin

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Re: That vital fender always pops!

Ironically, we used the technique illustrated very regularly..... but for exiting, not entering..... as our aisle was very narrow, and our steerage in reverse unpredictable to say the least...... it worked well as long as you cast off the lines sharpish once going round the corner, and kept the engine running in reverse throughout the whole maneouver to keep flow over the rudder and hence some steerage, including when casting off..... otherwise you blew straight onto the other boats...

Judders

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Then you'm in all sorts of trouble trying to avoid the corner of the finger pier causing serious damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Sir, is an important issue. We did it with Merit which is a very small and light boat that we could easilly fend away from the corner, I would not be so keen to do so on a larger, heavier vessel without some serious fendering on the dock and a flat cannal-fender on the hull. Indeed, had we been keeping the berth, I would have purchased both.

graham

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Approach the way he does but put the helm over to swing the bow into the eye of the wind at the same time as you line up with the berth and drop gently back in without danger of being T-Boned.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem Ive allways had trying to do that is that the bow seems determined to be blown one way or the other quicker than you can back into the berth.Depends on the boat I guess.

Personally i would just go in bow first,boring maybe but less expensive/embarrasing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lakesailor

Visit site
I'm covered in excrement. I unreservedly appologise to Jim as I had obviously overlooked his mention of the very same thing.

BTW the Swan, Tern and Teal all use this technique to leave the jetties on Windermere. They do have the most enormous rope fenders on the end of the pontoon and steel hulls, of course.

Lizzie_B

Bermuda since 2017. Formerly Emsworth and Bedford.
Visit site
I haven't come across many 'docks' like that in the US.Most of them on the East Coast south of NYC consist of a very short finger and the berth marked out by large wooden posts.

Most berth holders lovingly 'pad' the posts as you have to get close enough to them to tie on all four. It's a bit like coming onto pile moorings without the room to manouvre properly.
flyinggoose.jpg

s009.jpg

PaintJobRBday17027.jpg

Since some of the marinas by us were bashed up during the hurricane season they seem to be using the insurance money to put in pontoons or (floating docks as they call them over there). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think (or hope) in areas of bigger tidal range they have 'floating docks'. Be interested to hear from our US members. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Visit site
My Bows are very high but...

...unless I'm tardy it getting her head to wind and then some steerage way on towards the berth, once the keel takes over control is maintained. You need to do all this as far off the berth as possible and STEER the boat swiftly into a head-to wind position and then zip back quickly (at first). No way would I EVER put my 9 tonnes in a potential TBone situation like that. Daft, even barmy, evening class yottie school stuff IMO.

Yes, I agree, head first if you have to. Why complicate matters? We were at Port Hamble for many years and I reckon we only backed in on a couple of occasions and THEN only to facilitate maintenance from the main pontoon.

We are now in the Med and always back in due to the ease of getting off astern and wishing to lie properly with the other yachts. We also, of course have the help/hinderance of a lazy line pick-up for the bow rope.

Steve Cronin

Noddy

Visit site
Re: My Bows are very high but...

I understand what the red string is.

But what is all that green string lasooing action at the back?

Some sort of starboard cowboy mooring technique?

Visit site
I think....

...it's supposed to represent the thrust of the engine.

Did you notice that this demo of "How to do it perfectly" has the demonstrator actually shoving his rudder a good way into the pontoon?

Steve Cronin

Lakesailor

Visit site
Re: I think....

I have clothed myself in sackcloth and ashes already for making the very same fau pas.
I hope you will be prepared to similarly cover yourself in excrement.