Ever done this?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
entering_a_slip.gif

beancounter

Visit site
Looks good, but a bit tricky on the short finger pontoons found in a lot of marinas, where the adjoining boats will be overhanging by a good few feet...

dom

Visit site
Boring

Allow the stern to seek the wind and under control slide onto the finger. Not forgetting that whilst manouvering ..... yawn /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think it is a great idea. How about using a mizzen sail and a storm jib to balance on the finger end then take down the jib? You could do it without an engine?

graham

Visit site
Most boats would end up scraping paint/gelcoat all the way around the corner of the finger.Maybe pontoons are more user friendly in the USA?

dom

Visit site
What are those big black dots at the end of the pontoon? If they are non marking oversize fenders that is a really good idea.

How many people - if propkick is onto the pontoon - have not ever damaged gel coat when leaving a leeward pontoon? I have.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
What is more likely to happen is, boat arrives at end of pontoon ( assumes here that pontoon is long enough), get warps on, then, oh bugger! the wind has blown the bow onto the stern of the boat in the next berth! Try to reverse, damage to safety gear/wind steering gear on other boat, scratches down the side of 'our' boat, lots of swearing, shouting at crew, people watching, having a right old laugh!

johnalison

Visit site
My boat (saildrive) weathercocks and it's much easier to approach downwind, in fact, I prefer it to a windward approach as I can control my speed with reverse gear and hold it in idle as we tie up.

FullCircle

Visit site
We have red mooring lines on FC, but they are not self positioning like those in the example.
Does anyone know where I can buy this Intelli-Moor system? I presume this is the latest enhancement of Chartplotter driven aids?
I think it is a splendid idea not to have any fenders out on the port side in this example. With the savings made on fenders, I can afford a bigger BBQ to hang on the stern rail.

I also note from the example, that the transom hung rudder appears to impact the pontoon across the stern. Is this part of the intention, or do you think they do that to assist wedging the boat in position while the Intelli-Moor alters the lines?