EU / US standards

jambaman

Visit site
When it comes to safety equipment, eg. lifejackts and liferafts, which standard is higher? Reason i ask is whether i should purchase lifejackets over here or back in the UK.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
That\'s an interesting question...

Here in the UK, we're often frustrated by the comparison between high UK and low US prices on like-for-like boating products. But, interestingly, lifejackets actually seem to be much more expensive in the US. A typical West Marine 35lb (150N) own-brand auto lifejacket with harness costs around $200, whereas a typical UK price for this spec would only be around £50 - less than half the price! Maybe this reflects the fact that USCG regulations state that lifejackets are mandatory equipment. If you have to have it, you have to pay whatever they charge (bit like us and Council Tax maybe!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

jambaman

Visit site
Re: That\'s an interesting question...

i have found that is the case with lifejackets, but in fact, thats not all that's more expensive. So far, i can only find electrical items as being cheeper over here, GPS, VHF, H20 makers, but then found that the Sterling 1230 charger or as it is here, Promariner, is more expensive. I belive there are better sales and deals going on in the UK, but as we don't go very often, there is only so much i can ask the in-laws to bring over on their yearly trip.
But what about the safty standards, is the USCG higher or lower than UK/EU ones???

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site

the real answer is what is req by the country you are registered in, if they don't reconize us stds you will be in trouble, better or not, many years ago i was cited for having a us navy jacket in the boat that was not uscg approved. use what you want, but have vests that are approved for your country on board.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com

Whilst I'm not an expert on the issue, I'd of thought that the answer is not higher or lower but different. Eg in the states the coastguards can, and do, stop you in your dingy if not wearing a lifejecket. On the other hand, I beleive that the USCG skippers ticket is not as rigorous as the RYA equivalent.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jambaman

Visit site

thanks. I've just a peep at the local west marine shop to find that as far as lifejackets go, they are far more expensive than many in the UK/Europe, but price is not really a concern, and as a lady pointed out in YM after the recent test on kiddies lifejackets, it shouldn't be when it comes to safety.
We are UK registered and thus i have just asked the in-laws to pick up a kiddies Helly Hansen for us. There is a fair amount of reasurance in knowing that tests from ones own country have been carried out, with possitive results. I was about to write something about how the US should give me peice of mind when it comes to safety and security, but ......

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site

also, US lifejackets do not have hoods, most local sailors don't even know about them. your jackets may have more lift to them, don't understand the 'stone/pound' thing.

<hr width=100% size=1>