? EU Residency After The End Of The Transition Period (31/12/20)❓

grumpygit

Visit site
I get state and company pensions from three EU countries. Income tax I paid to only the one where I worked, but tax on my pensions I pay to each state that provides it.

Thanks for coming back with more info, this is something I have not heard before. Is this a standard way of taxing throughout the EU countries you mention or just specific tax laws to the ones you are dealing with.
Possibly this is because you have extended the thresholds because of the rental incomes?

RAI

Visit site
Thanks for coming back with more info, this is something I have not heard before. Is this a standard way of taxing throughout the EU countries you mention or just specific tax laws to the ones you are dealing with.
Possibly this is because you have extended the thresholds because of the rental incomes?
I think the double tax agreements are bi-lateral and pre EU, but I think they are pretty much the same. No change expected because of Brexit.
I no longer have rental income, but last I looked in the UK, the tax man insistes on taxing rental income there.

RAI

Visit site
The 10 years is if one emigrates and cuts ties with UK.
For us "casual" residents, we just get residence and nothing else changes as long as we don't have any income here. In effect, it's just like a never ending holiday:cool:
In Belgium, being resident does not have a casual mode. On registering, a cop comes round to check you actually live where you said you live.
The tax man is told of your residence and sends a tax form, similar with the commune tax. The Zorg sends you a bill too. It's pretty well organized.

nortada

Visit site
In Belgium, being resident does not have a casual mode. On registering, a cop comes round to check you actually live where you said you live.
The tax man is told of your residence and sends a tax form, similar with the commune tax. The Zorg sends you a bill too. It's pretty well organized.

And good reasons for not existing in Belgium.

I am not a fan of too much organisation. Rather a healthy lack of organisation, which presents the opportunity for a bit of ducking and diving.

Written from Faro jail.
Well at least it is still sunny and not too many rocks to break. ?

Visit site
And good reasons for not existing in Belgium.

I am not a fan of too much organisation. Rather a healthy lack of organisation, which presents the opportunity for a bit of ducking and diving.

Written from Faro jail.
Well at least it is still sunny and not too many rocks to break. ?
Regarding the idea of multiple residencias it would probably be wise to consider the attitudes of the countries concerned . Portugal is likely to continue to be both Brit friendly and relaxed but I would be prepared to bet that this will not apply to all EU countries and the idea of multiple residences may well fall flat on its face. The other question of dual nationality is rather different. There is no reason why I should forego either my British or my Portuguese and the latter gives me full EU membership so I am unconcerned by 90 days or any such restriction . I doubt if the language qualification is a major stumbling block for most people considering the level of literacy here which appears to be nearly as bad as in the UK.

Last edited:

RAI

Visit site
Regarding the idea of multiple residencias it would probably be wise to consider the attitudes of the countries concerned . Portugal is likely to continue to be both Brit friendly and relaxed but I would be prepared to bet that this will not apply to all EU countries and the idea of multiple residences may well fall flat on its face. The other question of dual nationality is rather different. There is no reason why I should forego either my British or my Portuguese and the latter gives me full EU membership so I am unconcerned by 90 days or any such restriction . I doubt if the language qualification is a major stumbling block for most people considering the level of literacy here which appears to be nearly as bad as in the UK.
If you are a pensioner there are more relaxed requirements for EU citizens applying for dual citizenship.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

On the contrary.
When it comes to healthcare and social security I much prefer a well-oiled machine.

For someone whose body is at least 20 years older than my actual age (accoding to doctors) it is a great comfort to know that I have access to a well organised healtcare system. A systen that provides what I need when I need it and free of charge or at a very affordable price.
Waiting lists are virtually non-existant (the longest I have had to wait for surgery was 3 weeks) and whilst my medication is not 'free' it's cheaper than on the NHS.
For 3 months of medication, in France I pay €4.95 whilst in Britain I paid a 'perscription charge' of £8.95 (IIRC).

nortada

Visit site
My comments about organisation were in response to RAI and are in the context of residency not healthcare or social security.

For the record, last year I met a cruising Brit who had Portuguese, French, Greek and. I believe Spanish temporary residency but of course this was while we’re were still citizens of the EU and before any EU-wide check on who had what so I fear this will be a thing of the past.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Having residence in a country usually means that all motorised forms of transport have to be registered in that country. Similar rules for radio transmitters other than civil band.
I got caught in Belgium for driving my German registered car there. German law required me to register it in Germany. So did Belgium law for Belgium. So although neither Germany nor Belgium objected to my dual residence, there are snags.
Tax is another one. While working the UK and Germany were happy to let my income tax to be collected by Belgium, under the double tax agreements. But having retired, they both wanted tax on my pensions, rental income, etc.. which are not classed as income tax. Inheritance tax has its complexities too.
So along with driving licences and health care, getting residence has consequences beyond just applying for residence.
The UK Gov. Has very useful advice on its web sites about residence elsewhere.

And there the crunch.
Maybe not at this time but in time to come people who just getting residency for the convenience able to keep their boat in said country and move around , are they going to have to apply to the rules in that country or worst still,is one day an official going to turn up and insist they have to pay some kind of tax for import or some thing else .

nortada

Visit site
And there the crunch.
Maybe not at this time but in time to come people who just getting residency for the convenience able to keep their boat in said country worst still,is one day an official going to turn up and insist they have to pay some kind of tax for import or some thing else .

Rather a negative attitude but if you no longer like the deal you can sail away and cancel your residency.

Bit drastic, but the ultimate solution and you will be no worse off than those cruisers who never got residency.

greeny

Visit site
And there the crunch.
Maybe not at this time but in time to come people who just getting residency for the convenience able to keep their boat in said country and move around , are they going to have to apply to the rules in that country or worst still,is one day an official going to turn up and insist they have to pay some kind of tax for import or some thing else .
And probably the first "catch" in Portugal is the need to change your british driving license for a portuguese one within 90 days of obtaining residence and the fact that you can't drive a foreign registered vehicle in Portugal once you are resident. Up to now, people have avoided these issues by being economic with the truth if stopped or involved with the police.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
My comments about organisation were in response to RAI and are in the context of residency not healthcare or social security.

I know what you mean.
In my lifetime, I have lived/worked in the RDC, SA, Canada, Belgium, the UK and France.
It has been my experience that countries with an efficient and organised residency system also tend to have efficient and organised healthcare and social security.

For the record, last year I met a cruising Brit who had Portuguese, French, Greek and. I believe Spanish temporary residency but of course this was while we’re were still citizens of the EU and before any EU-wide check on who had what so I fear this will be a thing of the past.

This I doubt very much.
Unless I am very much mistaken, there is no such thing as French temporary residency.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
And probably the first "catch" in Portugal is the need to change your british driving license for a portuguese one within 90 days of obtaining residence

As it was rumoured we may not be able exchange licenses next year, I decided (after many years) to apply in February. UK license had to be handed in along with medical certificate and they issued a temporary Portuguese paper one valid only in Portugal. I'm still waiting for the proper on to turn up but, when it does, will no doubt have to argue the toss to get some groups added, which they normally exclude on exchange. When back in UK, I obtained a replacement UK one.

RAI

Visit site
I think that there might be one or two qualifiers here.
Of course. One needs a country by country comparison between working age and pension age citizenship regulations. Also things like countries allowing dual citizenship for EU nationals but not for 3rd country nationals.

nortada

Visit site
I know what you mean.
In my lifetime, I have lived/worked in the RDC, SA, Canada, Belgium, the UK and France.
It has been my experience that countries with an efficient and organised residency system also tend to have efficient and organised healthcare and social security.

This I doubt very much.
Unless I am very much mistaken, there is no such thing as French temporary residency.

He was a British lawyer with property in France - believe he lived there for 5-6 years.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
He was a British lawyer with property in France - believe he lived there for 5-6 years.

That puts a different light on the matter.
Not, I would imagine, applicable for the average cruiser.

What I meant to say, was that (to my knowledge) it is not possible in France to obtain temporary/permanent residence living on a boat.
I stand by to be corrected but I am fairly certain I am correct.

srm

Visit site
I'm still waiting for the proper on to turn up but, when it does, will no doubt have to argue the toss to get some groups added, which they normally exclude on exchange. When back in UK, I obtained a replacement UK one.
If the Azores is using the same rules as the mainland, ( they have their own vehicle authority here), the trick is to ensure the doctor puts all your groups on the medical certificate. The authority will only issue a licence for groups the doctor gives approval for.