EU and VAT

adey

Visit site
The boat that I’m interested in is in Italy but registered to a company in America. I think the broker said the owner is from Honduras. Broker is sure it’s EU VAT paid with correct paperwork.

Portofino

Visit site
The boat that I’m interested in is in Italy but registered to a company in America. I think the broker said the owner is from Honduras. Broker is sure it’s EU VAT paid with correct paperwork.
Broker will say anything.
Its exactly what my first few sentences in post #4 advised to avoid.

How longs it’s been for sale ?

Last edited:

adey

Visit site
Only gone on sale recently. Probably not going to happen though because despite messaging and phoning, the broker is reluctant to send pictures…

adey

Visit site
The broker’s finally sent pictures/video. It’s by far the best one.
What problems will I run into with the American flag? Broker’s ad says EU VAT paid.
Tbh, it’s probably worth 20% more if I have to pay the tax. It wouldn’t be the end of the world but if I can avoid it….

westernman

www.devalk.nl
It is certainly possible that it is EU VAT paid. Ask the broker for a copy of the VAT paper work and import documentation including RCD compliance.
Only then will you have some idea on the validity of his claim that it is VAT paid.

If there is no RCD documentation then run.

Hurricane

Visit site
As westernman says, the VAT paperwork and RCD compliance is the first start.
Do this even if the boat is a UK or foreign built.

It seems from these posts that you are a UK resident and want to keep the boat in the EU.
So, it would also be a good idea to have a statement that the boat was in the EU on the 31st December 2020 and has been since then.
In Spain, we have had statements sent to each of us from the marina manager stating that our boats were in his marina on the 31st Dec 2020.

If this is the case, it will continue to be classed as EU Goods so there shouldn't be a further requirement for EU VAT.
But, you can't bring it back to the UK without incurring VAT because you weren't the original exporter.

adey

Visit site
I think it’ll have RCD. It’s a 2004 Azimut in Italy that’s probably never left the EU. I’ll ask the broker for paperwork and proof of location for end 2020. I’m English and the boat will be staying in the EU. The broker is very ‘Italian’, it took almost a month to get pictures.

Hurricane

Visit site
I think it’ll have RCD. It’s a 2004 Azimut in Italy that’s probably never left the EU. I’ll ask the broker for paperwork and proof of location for end 2020. I’m English and the boat will be staying in the EU. The broker is very ‘Italian’, it took almost a month to get pictures.
In that case, after your purchase, you will fall into the same category as the rest of us Brits.
You know that you will only be able to visit the boat for 90 days in any 180 days?
That said, it is manageable - early summer and late season cruises of 6 weeks is quite do-able as well as a few winter visits.
All without breaking the Schengen 90/180 day rules.
There are a couple of Schengen calculator out there - I think this is the best one:-
Schengen Calculator - Calculate Your Legal Short-Stay in Europe

BTW I hope that isn't the Azimut that Whitelighter had problems with about 7 or 8 years ago.
I might be able to find the thread if you can't

adey

Visit site
I think Whitelighter’s was a 42 or 46 so it’s not that one. The 90 day rule’s not a problem for me; I’m the long weekender type.

Portofino

Visit site
As per my post #4 …..if it’s been on the Italian reg you are ok .
Just ask for the copy of the old blue book .Subsequent owners ( as long as it stayed in the eu ) can reg it where ever they like .
To have have ever gotten at some stage in the IT reg not Co owned ie a private individual then it’s VAT would be paid .
Copies of old blue book and it’s “ irradiation “ will suffice .
Yes it makes me chuckle every time Italians mention “ has your boat been irradiated “ .They mean de registration.

You won’t see a original BoS , thats in U.K. stiff upper territory.Ignore that advise .

So when the guys ( current owner with what ever flag ) been done by theses guys .
D5B9E49A-23D7-4861-A622-3FDDF72CDD8B.jpeg
That copy of the blue book and the subsequent irradiation cert is all that’s needed .
I know because the the guys in the gun boat have asked me 2 x to date to sight those doc , as I am flying a red .
From those bits of paper they tap into a lap top or phone .Then you get the all clear .Nothing due € wise .

adey

Visit site
Ok - just as long as you know about the Whitelighter problem one.
Are you intending leaving the boat in Italy?
I vaguely remember the Whitelighter one. Soggy hull and no refund of deposit.

I’ll probably do the same as last time. Buy in Italy, move slowly, bit by bit, to Alicante over the course of a few years.Maybe spending less time in the SofF because we didn’t like it there as much.
I’ve asked the broker about VAT and RCD but I don’t expect a reply anytime soon. He’s probably at lunch until Thursday ?

Hurricane

Visit site
I vaguely remember the Whitelighter one. Soggy hull and no refund of deposit.

I’ll probably do the same as last time. Buy in Italy, move slowly, bit by bit, to Alicante over the course of a few years.Maybe spending less time in the SofF because we didn’t like it there as much.
I’ve asked the broker about VAT and RCD but I don’t expect a reply anytime soon. He’s probably at lunch until Thursday ?
Yep - that was the Whitelighter story - not much more to say on that subject.
You will always be welcome at SCM on your way to Alicante.
At least for a few beers anyway.