Etiquette - UK and abroad

KrisHansen

Visit site
First of all, I'm new to the forum, so... hello!

I'm about to purchase my first ever boat, and I'm keen to learn as much as I can about the traditions and etiquette of yachting, as they are one of the things that attracted me to the sport in the first place.

The best idea, I though, was to search Amazon to try and buy a book on the subject - the only ones I could find were both written and published in the US. Are there any obvious differences between the UK and the States when it comes to seafaring etiquette? Does anybody know of a book which covers the UK in this respect?

I think this will be the first of several posts as I trip along the pontoon of boat-buying - my mind is boggling already, and I'm only at the viewing stage of the purchase!!

- Kris Hansen

jamesjermain

Visit site
Good manners

Welcome to the board, Kris.

I am not aware of a British book specifically on sailing etiquette. It tends to be a subject refered to in general seamanship books.

As a newcomer, you cannot go far wrong if you follow the landlubbers precept that etiquette is simply the formalisation of good manners.

There are a number of areas, though, where there is accepted practice which might not be obvious to newcomers. There are also some hard and fast rules. Clearly, for example, you will need to learn the Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (The Rules of the Road).

Here, though, are a few pointers to help you along.

In harbout
*Always ask permission before mooring alongside another boat (it will almost always be given). Aways use your own fenders and warps and take a bow and stern line ashore.
*Always give permission to others unless their boat is too big/heavy to lie safely against yours.
*Always cross other boats via the foredeck, never the cockpit.
*Don't hold wild parties late at night.

At sea
*Try to give racing yachts a wide berth and don't insist on your rights as a starboard tack or leeward yacht
*Wave to passing cruising yachts
*Reduce speed/wash when passing close to small craft such as dinghies and inflatable tenders.
*Never sail with fenders dangling over the side.

Flag etiquette
Sadly the flying of flags, which used to be a matter of pride and strict conformity to accepted practice, is now honoured more in the breech than the observance. However here are some basics, some of which are backed by the force of law (ensigns in foreign countries, for example.
*You must wear your national ensign when in foreign waters. The Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and EC flags are not recognised national ensigns. (Note, you 'wear' an ensign but 'fly' a flag)
*You should, out of courtesy, wear the maritime ensign of the country you are visiting at the starboard crosstrees (the 'senior' position after the ensign staff). You may also, when visiting regions with strong cultural identities, such as Brittany, Cornwall, Wales and Scotland, fly their flag inferior to (below) the national ensign.
*If you are a member of a yacht club you should fly its burgee at the masthead or, if this is impossible (aerials etc), then at the starboard crosstrees but inferior to any courtesy ensigns, or at the port crosstrees. If you are flying a burgee you should also wear an ensign. There are special rules concerning the wearing of defaced blue and red ensigns of certain yacht clubs.
*If you are a member of more than one yacht club, you should fly the burgee of the most senior at the masthead with the others inferior to it. The exception to this is if you are in the home waters of junior club when it will take precedence. If you are taking part in a regatta, the burgee of the host club also takes precedence if you are a member of it.
*I like to observe the ceremonies of sunset and sunrise but have to admit to being somewhat lax on occasions. Most people these days seem to leave their ensigns up all the time while they are aboard. Never leave your ensign up or burgee flying when not on board (except when leaving her temporarily during a cruise).

There is a lot more to be said on the subject and I expect others will add to this list.

JJ

G

Re: Good manners

Excellent advice, James! My only comment is that courtesy demands that the host country's ensign be worn higher than your own national ensign. And of course, ensigns must be in good repair, no shabby, tattered ensigns shown.

I have noticed a few boats that in addition to the ensign of the country of residence worn at the stern, they also hoist, on the port spreaders, the ensign of the other country(countries) represented by the crew on board. Although our first reaction to this practice was amusement, it is a sensible way of advertising the other languages spoken on board. We often are homesick for a "wantalk" (somebody who speaks our language) in far-flung ports.

Fair winds,

KrisHansen

Visit site

Great - its the flag stuff that worries me, especially as far as yacht clubs are concerned. Most of the other stuff I've picked up from general sailing reference books and practical experience. Thanks for those pointers, James & Jeanne.

I suppose some of the key to keeping on top of it is having a full set of flags aboard for any occasion. I must look around for some... I intend to dress the ship on the Queen's birthday, at least!

Also, regarding the ensign, a gentleman I have sailed with on occasions is so 'proper' about his ensign, he went off with a handheld VHF to watch a local naval vessel so we could strike our ensign at exactly 2100hrs by their chronometer!!

- Kris Hansen

G

Glad to be of help. I love to see a dressed ship, looks so ... festive... and joyful.

You might be interested in my cruising "dictionary" which is posted, and maintained, at the Cruiser Log. Address for the "dictionary", which is the cruiser FAQs, is:
http://pub15.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=1236043334&cpv=1

Cruiser Log also has a cruising forum, which I moderate. Address for that is:

http://www.cruiser.co.za/forum.asp

And Watermelon's web page is: http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon.asp

I answer questions wherever I find them, it's just that I lurk at the Cruiser Log more often. Right now I'm on land, so I get to answer pretty quickly. When we are back cruising it's a bit slower.

I don't think you'll have many problems. Most etiquette is simply common sense and treating others the way you'd like to be treated. We cruise with the philosophy that "what goes around comes around".

Fair winds,
Jeanne
sv WATERMELON

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site

Can't fault any of that, all good advice,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,
Some points on fenders.
Don't be in such a hurry to get fenders in that you make some other mistake,,,, like colliding with the harbour wall. (If you're going to do that it's better to have fenders out.)(G)

Don't leave it to late to get them over the side when returning.

Solo/shorthanded sailors should take plenty of time to ensure that fenders and lines are ready Both Sides of the Boat,,,, just in case.

A Vertue motoring passed Osea Island towards Heybridge with fenders down will be me,,,,,,, Stowing sails, getting lines ready (three per side) and rigging ten fenders at the right height for the lock takes time. (G)

IanW.

KrisHansen

Visit site

Having been a Broad's sailer for a few years now, always hiring the same 1896 counter-sterned wooden yacht, I've got very paranoid about fenders, especially considering how often we get whacked by hulking great 40-foot beer crates.

This year, we bought six snapshakles for quickly snapping onto the deck fittings, and just lashed the fenders to those. We could, at a moments notice, go "Look! Pub still serving food!!", get the sails down and fenders out, and be tied up within minutes. I'm not sure if this principle can be applied to yachts with stanchions and guardrails, though, because of metal chafeing on the stanchions.... does anybody use this technique?

Sorry, back to fender etiquette... in these situations, it was always handy to be able to quickly snap a fender from one topside to the other should we suddenly need to moor alongside another vessel.

- Kris Hansen

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Fender attachment

The problem with generally sailing and going alongside in a variety of locations is that the fender height needs to be adjusted according to the adjacent object. Most locks in Holland have standard straight walls, but one comes across the odd one with a floating timber a few inches out of the water, sometimes vertical timbers and very occasionally one at step-off height. Then once in the lock there is no guarantee that the boat will finish up against a wall anyway: it could be a big steel motor boat, a tiny sailing dinghy, a traditional dutch leeboarder or another yacht. Going into unknown marinas and ports offers a range of pontoon heights. Hence the need for quick changes in fender height.

Over the years we have bought quite a selection of wonderful gadgets that would undoubtedly solve all our problems. In turn each has proved unsuitable for a variety of reasons, from insufficient strength, awkwardness to use, sliding along guardwires, falling off due to too large a hook, etc. We always come back to a round-turn and two half hitches around two stanchions plus the midships cleat, and try to allow sufficient time to adjust if necessary.

The biggest problem with cylindrical fenders is their tendency to roll over the top of the pontoon, leading to several topsides scores. We have just bought a rectangular foam one, about 4 ft long and 2 ft high. Maybe this can solve the problem. Only time will tell.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Forget the etiquette. More important to learn the rules of the seas, collision regs right of way etc. Learn how to sail and develope skills and seamanship. Courtesy and knowledge will take care of the rest. Still if you want to ponce about on the poop deck in your flannels and reefer jacket, and pip pip and tally ho and all that then you do not need a boat. Save your money and take poofter lessons instead. Mind you, there are a lot of posers in this business adds to the rich tapestry I guess.

G

What, only poofters are courteous?

and real men don't need to bother with good manners? Well, perhaps that's so where you live, Mr. tar, but if you want to enjoyably cruise outside your local area, good manners will make things go a whole lot more smoothly.

Incidentally, the best mannered men I met when I was young and entertained by young men were navy officers. Sorry, good manners is more than just "poncing" about. It's about consideration for others.

KrisHansen

Visit site
I already know the collision regs and pilotage and all that... it's more that if I join a yacht club, which I'd like to, I need to know all about flag saluting certain officials and the like. The basics (like ensign-dipping and courtesy-flag flying) have been practised for eons at sea, and Britain in particular has a long history and heritage associated with seafaring traditions. I'd just like to keep up with them.

- Kris Hansen

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Totally Agree Jeanne

Couldn't agree more, I am a retired Naval Officer, but there are also a lot of poofters amongst that lot too. Chip Chip.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Wantok?

Just read you other thread Jeanne "We often are homesick for a "wantalk" (somebody who speaks our language) in far-flung ports." Ating yu giamin, you no inap tok pisin.

G

Re: Wantok?

I also don't talk Polynesian or Tongan anymore, and going on six months out of Malaysia I'm forgetting my Malay, too. If we went back to Vanuatu or PNG I'd probably pick up pidgin again, though it's really a disservice to the people, who would rather learn proper English. In the Solomon Islands the teachers are told that they are to teach their high school students in English, not pidgin. Still, "wantok" is a cute term that is instantly recognizable to anybody who's been to those parts of the Pacific and makes for a great conversation starter.

Fair winds,