Estuary Adventures

Portland Billy

Visit site
Has anyone any experience or advice re the following -

Holehaven creek - depths and any air draught limits - also control authority.
Gravesend Marina - depths and approach - is it viable?
Heritage moorings - any good if St Kats is closed ?
The Broomway - Havengore to the Crouch - bridge issues ?
Leigh on Sea Yacht club - any non drying spots ?
Grays Thurock Yacht Club - visitors moorings ?

I seem to have spent years trolling through the estuary en route to exotic spots like Ramsgate, the Medway, Calais etc, but never really explored these boltholes.
I'd really like to spend a few days just pottering in the estuary and generally broaden my 'local knowlege'.
My draught limitation is 3 ft and air draught 12 ft.

sighmoon

Visit site
We stayed at Thurrock Yacht Club on a spare buoy for the cost of an RNLI donation. The club dues subsidise the bar, which makes it cheap for a pint. Thurrock itself, particularly the area around the yacht club, is a bit rough so a late night stroll might be adventurous.

ianc1200

Visit site
The Island Yacht Club on Canvey is another place to consider; drying out moorings & a lovely clubhouse.
Went out from the creeks through Havengore in September 2009 over the Maplins; OK if at spring HW (we were in fact late by about 30 mins) but no great terrors as long as sea reasonably smooth. Good anchoring in Yokesfleet Creek off the Roach to wait before going out.

Holehaven always looks a bit industrial to me, but there is the famous Lobstersmack pub. Back in the 50's & 60's it was the usual stopping off point much like Queenborough is today.

IanC