Essential kit when you go sailing...

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
One thing that I won't ever take sailing or have on my boat is sleeping bags. If ever it should be necessary to get out quickly I don't want anyone (me or my crew) tangled up trying to get out of their bags. If anyone does bring one I ask that they use it unzipped and without an inner lining.

Interesting... I don't know what I'd do without my sleeping bag! I am a big fan...

Pete

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Just roll up in it without zipping it up. I hope you never have to find out why it's important....... :)

If the five seconds it takes me to get out of my sleeping bag ever matters, I'll probably be dead in the further ten seconds it takes me to get to the cockpit.

Neil

Visit site
If the five seconds it takes me to get out of my sleeping bag ever matters, I'll probably be dead in the further ten seconds it takes me to get to the cockpit.

Yeah, this 'getting caught up in your sleeping bag' sounds like twaddle to me. I use one, my main problem being doing the potato sack race to the toilet in the middle of a cold night. :)

Neil

Visit site
Actually, this thread resembles, a little, a 'movement' that I came across just yesterday. Cutting a long story short, I started out looking at fire making with a flint and steel and following various links, ended up at the weapons required in the case of a zombie apocalypse. (Rather apt, since I'm catching up with the Walking Dead series)

However, on the way I came upon a huge thing about the 'essential kit' required in the case of the end of civilisation as we know it. Logically, most had as their basis, fire making equipment, a knife, torch, fishing hooks, line, paracord etc. Of course, many had an automatic pistol in there as well......

Serin

Visit site
Yeah, this 'getting caught up in your sleeping bag' sounds like twaddle to me. I use one, my main problem being doing the potato sack race to the toilet in the middle of a cold night. :)

The three friends of mine who drowned in their bunks might have thought so too until they they found out it wasn't.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
However, on the way I came upon a huge thing about the 'essential kit' required in the case of the end of civilisation as we know it. Logically, most had as their basis, fire making equipment, a knife, torch, fishing hooks, line, paracord etc. Of course, many had an automatic pistol in there as well......

Mumsnet has a "preppers" forum, neatly and scarily combining the two most paranoid groups of fruitbats in the world. Read it and tremble.

Serin

Visit site
All at the same time? All because of sleeping bags? I think we need to know a little more before giving that too much credence.

Same boat, same time.

It really isn't any concern of mine what you think. Knowing what I do, it changed my mind, but I have no interest in trying to change yours and I am certainly not going to start laying out the appalling details of that catastrophe for your entertainment.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Same boat, same time.

It really isn't any concern of mine what you think. Knowing what I do, it changed my mind, but I have no interest in trying to change yours and I am certainly not going to start laying out the appalling details of that catastrophe for your entertainment.

My sympathies, but if you want your anecdote to carry weight you really will have to give more information. For example, how far out of their sleeping bags had they managed to get? If the answer is "not at all" then it suggests that the sinking was so fast that they didn't have a chance. If "partly", what sort of sleeping bags were they (rectangular? mummy? zip length?) and how did they sleep (drawstrings tied? arms inside?).

My sleeping bag is a simple rectangular one and even with my arms inside I can get out of it in seconds. Scaremongering, even based on tragedies, won't convince me to change. Evidence might.

Keef

Visit site
Crikey! Sleeping bags sound almost as dangerous as Dihydrogen Monoxide. http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

DHMO is a leading cause of death in people who like to go out and about on boats. In almost all professional or amateur sailors' deaths, DHMO is a major component.

Last edited:

Keef

Visit site
Two relatives of mine died earlier this year, three months and four hundred miles apart. Both had blankets on at the time. Fact.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and offer my condolences. I still find it hard to believe that sleeping bags had anything to do with it.

Serin

Visit site
My sympathies, but if you want your anecdote to carry weight you really will have to give more information.

"Anecdote??" "Carry weight?" "Have to?" "Blankets"?

What is wrong with your comprehension? Have you not understood that it matters nothing to me what you think of the situation I have touched on. Nothing. Get used to it.

Last edited: