Epirb or PLB?

Alistairr

Visit site
For a yacht sailing inshore, is it better to have an EPIRB on board, or would a PLB do the same job and have more flexability?

What are the main differences between Epirbs and PLB's and what do you have onboard?

Thanks in advance.
Alistairr.

D

Deleted member 36384

An EPIRB is likely to work after activation without any other input from the user, where a PLB needs to be held in a certain manner for the antenna to work. Both the EPIRB and PLB can be positioned such that anyone can use it, but a PLB tends to be in an individuals pocket or around their neck.

As a by the way, I think small boat inshore is served well with DSC VHF and mobile phone for emergency transmission (and personally I still put a lot of credit on pyrotechnics for inshore / coastal - but many no longer do). PLBs tend to be lower cost than EPIRBs but I have not shopped around for many years now.

If you are likely to use different boats then a PLB would be best, also in inshore sailing, you probably will not have the conditions that make a PLB difficult to use i.e. big seas and a long time holding the device the correct way.

I have both but that is because I added the EPIRB after I got my own boat, the PLB I had for quite few years before.

prv

Visit site
What are the main differences between Epirbs and PLB's and what do you have onboard?

EPIRBs transmit for longer than PLBs - from memory I think 48 hours rather than 24. Hopefully not relevant for coastal sailing!

EPIRBs can transmit while floating unattended, and can be had with water-activated automatically-releasing housings to mount on deck. Neither applies to PLBs. However, I tend to think that unattended transmission loses a lot of its usefulness without automatic release - if you're in a position to have manually collected an EPIRB from stowage and activated it, you could probably also hold a PLC while it transmits. It's rare to find auto-release EPIRBs on cruising yachts.

PLBs are cheaper than EPIRBs, though the difference is less than it used to be.

Personally, for Channel cruising I'm quite happy with my PLB, stowed in the top of the grab bag next to the hatch and intended to be used more like an EPIRB. Though if I were buying now I would certainly take a look at ACR's auto-release EPIRB, which is dramatically cheaper than such things were a few years ago. Probably still wouldn't get one for the current boat, mostly because there isn't really a good place to mount it. I'm also not really worried about a sudden catastrophic sinking or capsize.

Pete

iLens

Visit site
The latest EPIRBs also broadcast an AIS message, so vessels nearby may come to your aid quicker than the coastguard can respond. My boat has an EPIRB, but I've also bought a PLB to stow in my lifejacket in case I go overboard when sailing alone.

Triassic

Visit site
I made the decision to have a PLB over an EPIRB. The vast majority of my sailing is in costal waters (I've been across the Celtic Sea once) so figured 24 hours ought to be enough for help to arrive, and as a lot of it is single handed something I keep on my person would be better than something in the boat...... I also decided that it isn't something I'm going to need in a hurry, my first priority is always going to be getting myself safe if possible, be that on the bottom of the upturned boat or in the dinghy if she's on fire (I'm struggling to think of another occasion I might want help...) so if I am going to activate it I should be in a position to look after it. I do accept that the performance of an EPIRB is supposed to be better than a PLB (is it?) but figured something that might work that you can get to is better than something that will work but is out of reach.......

maby

Visit site
For in-shore I would go for a PLB - the likely emergency profile is different to deep ocean and the PLB seems more suitable to me. Yachts in deep ocean are usually out of range of normal radio communications and, if they suffer a major failure, the EPIRB is probably the only way they will be able to summon assistance. Pleasure boats in-shore are normally within range of at least one other station and a DSC alarm is likely to be noticed. For in-shore sailing, the greatest risk to life is falling overboard - and around the UK with a decent lifejacket, the survival time is usually going to be measured in hours. A PLB in your pocket is the thing that will give you the best chance of recovery - the EPIRB will be safely in its cradle as the boat you fell off disappears over the horizon.

Add to that the fact that the PLB is very versatile - it is not limited to marine use. Travelling in very bad weather on land, hill walking and things like that, I will have my PLB in my pocket. Last year, my son went to visit friends out in the wilds of Arctic Canada - we lent him a PLB. A colleague who was addicted to hill walking had an accident some years ago and was caught high up in the Pennines with an injured ankle and out of range of cellphone coverage. He did eventually get down, but it was touch and go - a PLB would have had him safe.

Tranona

Visit site
The choice really depends on how you sail and then how you perceive the risks. for most coastal sailing, neither is really necessary as far and away the best method for attracting attention is VHF and mobile phone. If you sail with a crew then there is some merit in a PLB or better still an AIS device as your crew are best positioned to help - even if it will,be a challenge to get you back on board. Singlehanded neither a PLB nor an EPIRB will be much help as the delay before any help can get to you is likely to be greater than survival time. So only really useful for finding your body.

Once you get out of VHF range then either a PLB or an EPIRB may be useful. pros and cons of each are well known, and i favour the latter on the basis that yachts are statistically very difficult to sink so your best bet is to stay with the boat as long as possible and set off the beacon as quickly as possible to give the "system" the best chance of responding. If you do need to take to the raft then you can take either with you. The greater flexibility of the EPIRB and its longer signal time gives it an advantage. The final decider is that the price premium has shrunk and now the battery is user replaceable the long term cost is more manageable.

prv

Visit site
now the battery is user replaceable

I haven't done a careful survey of the market, but my impression was the other way round. Older units sometimes had user-replaceable batteries, newer ones generally don't as this allows them to be smaller. Current batteries have longer shelf lives (certainly 7 years, did I see one with ten recently?) so the cost and inconvenience of dealer replacement is reduced, and a new and better beacon might be desired at that point anyway.

Pete

RAI

Visit site
A small point of difference between EPIRB and PLB.
The EPRIB antenna is designed to be operated while the device floats free from the vessel or person.
It doesn't work so well when it is being hugged by a man overboard.
The PLB antenna is designed to be operated while the device is hand held above the water or ground.
Many PLB's do not float and even in a buoyancy aid, its antenna will not work so well afloat.

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
Just been offered and ACR EPIRB for not much more than the service fee on my old LOKATA one on the basis of part ex from Sartech.

They have quoted a 10 year battery life and the ability to replace yourself. On that basis I'm sticking with an EPIRB as, on that basis, the purchase / service fees have just dropped massively

I know its a bit OTT but the radio coverage isn't perfect up west and it gives comfort having it by the companionway ready to be activated by any of the crew in the case of an emergency.

DSC radio isn't much use if you get dismasted and dont have an auxiliary aerial so added comfort for less hassle.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The choice really depends on how you sail and then how you perceive the risks. for most coastal sailing, neither is really necessary as far and away the best method for attracting attention is VHF and mobile phone. If you sail with a crew then there is some merit in a PLB or better still an AIS device as your crew are best positioned to help - even if it will,be a challenge to get you back on board. Singlehanded neither a PLB nor an EPIRB will be much help as the delay before any help can get to you is likely to be greater than survival time. .

Cruising the Bristol Channel and Irish sea I am out of range of Coastguard VHF for much of the time as I don't get forecasts, I don't get mobile signal, and I often cannot see any other craft. Perhaps the South coast sailors have it different? If I have to abandon ship then my mobile and main DSC VHF would be useless anyway.

I have both EPRIB as water activated but manual release from deck and a PLB in my sailing jacket pocket. I agree I should have auto release on EPRIB but unless you are C.. R.. sinking and capsize is unlikely to be that fast that I could not throw it overboard. My experience of doing things while in the drink is that I might not be able to activate the PLB once overboard, and if I lose my glasses I wont even be able to see it - but if I don't have it then I have lost even that chance

Tranona

Visit site
Cruising the Bristol Channel and Irish sea I am out of range of Coastguard VHF for much of the time as I don't get forecasts, I don't get mobile signal, and I often cannot see any other craft. Perhaps the South coast sailors have it different? If I have to abandon ship then my mobile and main DSC VHF would be useless anyway.

Exactly the point I was making. You have to consider your own sailing environment and style before deciding what is the best strategy for you. For the central and eastern part of the Channel VHF communication is good, not only with the coast stations, but with the constant stream of commercial traffic. As you move west this degrades and as you say in the wider and less frequented waters of the Bristol Channel VHF and mobile coverage is not so good.