EPIRB on a Plane?

LeonF

Visit site
I've requested supervisor at Manchester a few times when told I couldn't carry items, inverter, arc welder, life jacket cylinders causing problems, all of which were eventually cleared. Dublin however confiscated a fairly large soft cheese from my wife's bag, although it had cleared at Lisbon on earlier flight. Turns out we can only carry hard cheese:mad:
Gibraltar insisted on confiscating a membrillo.. quince cheese if you don't know it some years ago. Said it was paste. I've since brought all manner of cheeses back from Spain.

harvey38

Visit site
Sounds like you were Manchester based? The most disliked security in the world, I was told off on the ramp during a walk round for not have my hi viz buttoned up. Didn't take kindly to being asked how on earth he managed to even spot me from a distance if my hi viz wasn't done up properly.

I can understand why penberth may think I have attitude but I was surrounded by some of the best professionals in the business from the ground staff, engineers, cabin crew, ATC etc etc. The worst part of my day was "interacting" with security. How wise they are deliberately trying to wind up pilots before they sit at the controls of a jet with x hundred passengers in the interests of "security". Everyone else I worked with worked with me to achieve a common goal. Except the jobsworths working as screeners. I cringe when I go through now, I can hear them at Heathrow shouting at the queue "laptops out of bags, belts off, shoes off, liquids in a bag". The little red, orange and green buttons on the way out that say "how was your experience?" long been disconnected from any data collecting system but the writing all rubbed off the red button.
Being MAN based for 12 years, I have witnessed the staff/crew screening point at T3 being audited by internal auditors, CAA and what used to by DfT staff who put unnecessary stress on those security staff. They were forever testing them with items secreted in bags or carry on. A crap job with awful shifts, pay not much better and managed by idiots that are able to regurgitate rules, directives and best practice when challenged.

That said, the front line staff didn't do themselves any favours goading many flight crew and went through a stage of alerting authorities to flight deck crew who 'Appeared to be intoxicated' causing many unnecessary delays, bother and grief instead of just getting on with their jobs.

Thankfully I'm well away from it.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
:love: 😃
I can't think of a worse insult.

And our safety depends on these people. :eek:

IIRC, the US equivalent missed over 90% of threats in a test a while back
Shortly after 911 I was flying on an internal flight in the California.

In theory, all hand luggage was to be manually searched at the gate before boarding.
I was (for some reason I don't remember) in first class in seat 1A.

They called the flight and I got up quickly and walked straight onto the aircraft with my large lap bag which was well stuffed with spare underwear (I am too used to my baggage not arriving until the next day, so make a point of having the bare necessities in my hand luggage).

The two guys supposed to be doing the bag searches were some what oversized and took a while to get to their feet.

Everybody else on the plane had their hand luggage searched. They never questioned me or called me back and just did not seem to care.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Being MAN based for 12 years, I have witnessed the staff/crew screening point at T3 being audited by internal auditors, CAA and what used to by DfT staff who put unnecessary stress on those security staff. They were forever testing them with items secreted in bags or carry on. A crap job with awful shifts, pay not much better and managed by idiots that are able to regurgitate rules, directives and best practice when challenged.

That said, the front line staff didn't do themselves any favours goading many flight crew and went through a stage of alerting authorities to flight deck crew who 'Appeared to be intoxicated' causing many unnecessary delays, bother and grief instead of just getting on with their jobs.

Thankfully I'm well away from it.

Thankfully, customs officers in T3 green channel are rarely seen, as was the case last week. Now voted worst terminal in UK.

Manchester airport terminal ranked as worst in the UK in new research

William_H

Visit site
No one has mentioned that the "lithium" batteries in EPIRB are the long life non rechargeable type vastly different to the rechargeable types with reputation fior dangerous fires. I don't know of any great danger in lithium over other types of dry cells. Google "dangerous cargo on aircraft for IATA recommendations. ol'will

alan_d

Visit site
While I welcome no longer having to remove my shoes for US airport security as I am aged over 75, I am puzzled by the logic behind this. Is there a compulsory retirement age for terrorists?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have carried EPIRBs from Johannesburg to London HR and back with no issue

I did have an issue with a socket set on a flight from Zimbabwe ro JHB and had a tim of Ambrosa creamed rice comforcated at HR on my way back to South Africa once.

was looking forward to a nice creamed rice pud when I got home,

Refueler

Visit site

wonkywinch

Visit site
Trouble is - its not only the Airline rules you have to be concerned about - its also the Airport Security Check Staff ..... it is not unusual for Airline to allow something - but Security Staff do not ....
Basically they cannot know all Airline rules ..
And there you have it, the very people who are employed (albeit indirectly) by the airlines to protect their assets are making up their own rules. I've experienced it first hand many times hence my blunt comments earlier.

And they should know the national rules, set by the CAA that the airlines follow.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Trouble is - its not only the Airline rules you have to be concerned about - its also the Airport Security Check Staff ..... it is not unusual for Airline to allow something - but Security Staff do not ....
Basically they cannot know all Airline rules ..

I have an email from Sleasyjet and a printout from Ryanair's site stating lifejackets and or cylinders are allowed, these were used to persuade security they are allowed. I try to do the same for other items whenever I guess they're bound to question me. Next trip, it will no doubt be the Chinese heater which creates problems:)

wonkywinch

Visit site
I have an email from Sleasyjet and a printout from Ryanair's site stating lifejackets and or cylinders are allowed, these were used to persuade security they are allowed. I try to do the same for other items whenever I guess they're bound to question me. Next trip, it will no doubt be the Chinese heater which creates problems:)
For lifejackets, BA's recommendation is you print their page and place it with your lifejacket in the event your suitcase is checked in your absence. There is no need to second guess anything, BA's (and I'm sure other airlines) website has clear guidance.

The UK.gov website has more overall guidance but directs you back to your airline's website.

Hand luggage restrictions at UK airports

https://www.britishairways.com/content/information/baggage-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions

And from that page:

co2.jpg

My experience has been good apart from in Antigua flying to BVI when they asked for a look and insisted I unscrew the CO2 from the trigger mechanism before checking in my bag. That's been the only time anything has happened with packed lifejackets.

You can see from the BA statement that the TSA are allowed to override common sense the regulations.

BA - as above

Easyjet - Small non flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 ml water capacity for other devices.
https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods

TUI - Small cartridges fitted into a selfinflating personal safety device such as a life-jacket or vest. No more than two personal safety device per person. The personal safety device must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidently activated. Limited to carbon dioxide or another suitable gas in Division 2.2; Must be for inflation purposes. The device must be fitted with no more than two small cartridges: and no more than two spare cartridges
https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/luggage-guidelines

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
For lifejackets, BA's recommendation is you print their page and place it with your lifejacket in the event your suitcase is checked in your absence. There is no need to second guess anything, BA's (and I'm sure other airlines) website has clear guidance.

The UK.gov website has more overall guidance but directs you back to your airline's website.

Experience at Manchester dictates otherwise, as said by several above. Security have no idea in most cases what airlines allow, they seem to work from their own interpretation of whatever crib sheet they're issued with.

Mind you, I did have a bit of fun at the soft baggage check in one time. I had a made up mooring riser with metal thimbles and when it was scanned, the woman asked what it was for. When I replied I was planning on hanging my mother in law, she burst out laughing and said good luck..

Refueler

Visit site
I used to do same ... carrying inflatable LJ's .....

Not only having to convince when carry on - but also called to baggage handling to explain for checked in bags ...