Epifanes or Le Tonk?

• Epifanes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Le Tonk

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Keith 66

Visit site
For many years i have used Epifanes, mainly because it works & last really well. Only downside is the short shelf life, once a can is opened & half used as it will thicken & gel up if you dont use it.
I keep meaning to try Le Tonk but havent got round to it, plus its French;).

jamie N

Visit site
I've only ever used Le Tonk, and in the 5 years of having it adorn my boat, it exceeded my expectations.
I'm very fond of its durability in the tin, where it's not shown signs of having gone off, although I do upturn the can occasionally.
I've just varnished my new mast with it, and it does seem to be 'nicer' ( a pejorative expression I realise) than I'd have expected from any of the International range, say.
On the rest of the boat, it seems to have protected from UV damage.
Would I buy it again?
Oh yes; "20,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong".

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I have only once used Epifanes and used Le Tonk a fair bit.
Le Tonk seems to be much more forgiving to use. Less fussy about surface preparation (i.e. less sanding), and is more forgiving to the way to apply it.
And the result is better than my efforts deserve.

You can probably better get a higher gloss and better result with Epifanes if you religious about surface preparation and apply 10 coats all at the right temperature and humidity.
But I have better things (like actually going sailing) than to apply 10 coats of Epifanes. And I don't have the patience to wait months for the right weather to varnish, nor the luxury of having the boat inside somewhere. (Stepping/unstepping the mast is a major engineering exercise involving heavy and expensive plant).

harvey38

Visit site
Epiphanes due to easy to apply and end result, however, as I have just used the last of my two pack PP, based on the above comments, I'll try Le Tonk.

The Q

Visit site
Tried several different types of varnish in the past.. Le tonkinois on this boat, very impressed, I'm staying with it..

michael_w

Visit site
Epifanes. The gelling means it can be thinned to the consistency you want. Use turpentine, not white spirit, turps and other pretenders! Never used le tonk!

Visit site
For many years i have used Epifanes, mainly because it works & last really well. Only downside is the short shelf life, once a can is opened & half used as it will thicken & gel up if you dont use it.
I keep meaning to try Le Tonk but havent got round to it, plus its French;).
I always try to buy the 500 ml cans. They may cost a bit more than the bigger ones but I think it is worth it. I find 500 ml takes a fair time to apply and it is good practice to refresh your brushes before the varnish works its way right up to the top of the bristles.

davidmh

Visit site
Used Le Tonk for many years, echo what all others have said. I also find Le Tonk is fairly non-slip which is a bonus, Very east to patch local damage. I store my tin upside down, this seems to keep it in good condition. I do not have huge areas to varnish so I always use the 500mm cans.
Main UK agents are great to deal with.
David MH

Other threads that may be of interest