Entering Plymouth Sound in rough weather:

jamesjermain

Visit site
Both are safe, all weather entrances, the west perhaps slightly easier, especially at night and if approaching from the west but remember that the Grey Funnel Line and ferries use this entrance.

Entering Plymouth in a storm is a wonderful experience - as you pass the breakwater and tuck in behind it the world seems to go to sleep.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
that is music to my ears....:), I'll be trying it out this weekend....
It is one of my favourite places to sail too.

Last summer a trip was organised out to the breakwater and, had the weather been kinder, we had permission to land. There was a chap from the Plymouth Museum giving a talk on its history - quite fascinating, built by a lot of Scots apparently. Napoleon was impressed when he saw it, Cherbourg was being built about the same time.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I always preferred the eastern entrance in daylight... Whilst it can be quite bouncy outside, the swell doesn't seem to get inside, and there is less tide in my experience... Plus of course less big ships.

Nighttime entrances need to be much more cautious if using the east, as it's easy to get caught inshore of the shagstone and you can end up in real trouble.. If comeing from salcombe ish... Even in daylight make sure that you identify the mark before making the approach from the vicinity of the mewstone, if your close inshore...

Appledore

Visit site
I always use the Western entrance, even if coming from the East. Yes, there are probably more large ships this side, but I find it's easier to navigate on this side. The swell will depend, of course, on the wind and tide directions. And if you miss the tide if going up the River, or just want a rest, then Cawsand Bay is the place to go.

oldbilbo

Visit site
My good TiggerTwo, I would warmly encourage you to read and ponder the lessons in the MAIB report of the loss of 'Kishmul of Ayr' and its experienced skipper, on the unlit rocks adjacent to the Eastern Entrance....

We've visited this matter before....

Lady Campanula
29-08-11, 00:12

.......I'm very conscious of the very relevant 'Kishmul of Ayr' MAIB report (http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/LCSD.pdf) and the lessons therein - chief among them that the skipper was probably so fatigued that he made poor decisions and failed to realise that. He died as a consequence.

Your passage was in many ways almost identical, with similar difficulties of fatigue affecting judgement. You got away with it....

Like many others here, I've used both entrances many times in good weather and bad and I've been confused, due to unsuspected fatigue, over just how close to the Shag Rocks we were being set. I'm now wary of it in degraded conditions. To the best of my knowledge, the Western Entrance hasn't yet killed a yachtsman....

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
It's a blessing have Plymouth as a home port. We were coming downwind from Fowey last month with a full 40kts up the chuff. Once we rounded Penlee Point it was like boating on the municipal duck pond which was relief after passing Rame Head which was quite an experience that day!

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
It's a blessing have Plymouth as a home port. We were coming downwind from Fowey last month with a full 40kts up the chuff. Once we rounded Penlee Point it was like boating on the municipal duck pond which was relief after passing Rame Head which was quite an experience that day!

+1, we had same on day Boscawn got flash flooded first in our RF on passage back from Truro to Chi Hbr, wonderful feeling, esp. when inside the breakwater-W entrance, of course;).
SWMBO still has a soft spot for Mayflower Marina to this day, the 'Bethlehem inn stable' of that sodden Fireworks Competition day.

alant

Visit site
It is one of my favourite places to sail too.

Last summer a trip was organised out to the breakwater and, had the weather been kinder, we had permission to land. There was a chap from the Plymouth Museum giving a talk on its history - quite fascinating, built by a lot of Scots apparently. Napoleon was impressed when he saw it, Cherbourg was being built about the same time.

When was Boney in Plymouth?

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
. . . . Entering Plymouth in a storm is a wonderful experience - as you pass the breakwater and tuck in behind it the world seems to go to sleep.

I took a Cat in to Plymouth, to the Multihull Centre Milbrook, about two months ago during a SW'erly Force EIGHT gale. Like sailing a tea-tray !!

I entered via the east and was chased all the way from the Mew Stone, between East and West Tinker by rolling breakers straight off the Atlantic, with a very long fetch - 'Twas fun indeed (NOT) !!

As stated, OK once inside int e breakwater, someone just throws the rough weather switch to off. :D

oldbilbo

Visit site
Her's the 'skinny' on Plymi....

Psound.jpg

From the Mewstone Ledges to inside the Eastern Channel, 'tis a dead lee shore, with nowt much in the way of lights to help ( Whidbey Sector/Occulting is useful only in departing, and the Occulting Sector at Fort Bovisand much the same. ) The best night navaid - the only useful night navaid - on that side is the LFl WR 10s on the east end of the breakwater.... the White sector is most helpful, and once past the E Tinker Q(3)10s you have only about 3/4 nm to run, to shelter.

However, note that the depth shoals right across that approach to well less than 10m. That implies big seas will break, and that will produce a significant set towards the usually-lee shore just to the east.

The Western Channel is significantly deeper and wider, and is also under the lee of Folly Hill/Rame Head, so benefits from more shelter and less breaking water. For my money, in serious weather it is always preferable to utilise the western entrance to the Sound. Whether coming from east or west, I'd prefer to maintain a sufficient 'offing' until quite certain of passing the end of the breakwater. FWIW. :cool: