Engineers responsibility for work carried out and warranty

Chi Man

Visit site
Wouldn't hurt them to take a look when they were next down on the pontoon, then either tweak the screw or quote to repair.
Goodwill for future business
Thanks, they were my thoughts initially, but alas nobody does anything for nothing and I suspect as other comments that have been made they have no real obligation to me as I am not the original customer, will be asking someone else if I cannot fix myself , now been waiting over 5 weeks for them to even have a look and they are only a short walk away from the boat!

Chi Man

Visit site
Just adjust the screw, it wouldn’t void the warranty anyway. Also check the cables if it continues, I have seen them get bent during installation many times. Pop them off at both ends, check for free movement
Thanks am going to do that ! cannot wait any longer !

Chi Man

Visit site
I recently bought a boat which has had a brand-new Outboard fitted plus brand-new throttle cables fitted at the same time (End of November 2020). The throttle is extremely stiff, goes into tick over okay but when you want to power forward so stiff it is not controllable. I had only taken the boat out on test prior to purchase within the marina and thought it may just be me not being used to the controls on a new boat. Having now tried the boat a few times the throttle is too stiff, I know there is an adjustment that can be made, however as it was fitted just over a year thought best to go back to the engineers who fitted it for them to diagnose and fix.

Firstly, I have now been waiting over five weeks for them to even have a look and secondly they are saying this work is not under warranty. I think it should be, what are your thoughts and advice?

The engine warranty is transferable (so long as I used the same engineers that installed it to service etc) But I would have thought the installers should have some warranty over their installation of the cables??
Not been back on the forum for a while, needless to say the engineers eventually got to have a look after about three months later (considering the boat is about 100 yards away from their office suspect they had to plan in advance !!), their comment was "nothing wrong with the throttle!" So my answer was I drive the boat and think there is, I have had two boats previously both outboards so have a little experience. Next thing was I was told by the same firm that the prop fitted when the new engine was fitted needed changing as the pitch may be wrong (they agreed this was to be at their expense). Great I thought, this was in January, agreed they could not do anything until March. Chased as now coming up to end of March ! My chase up was replied to. Was told I would need a sea trial her to work out what prop needs to be fitted. They last trialled this in December 2020 (when they fitted the new engine) and a new sea trial was now needed to for them to pick this up after so long as the engineer cannot remember whether it was under revving or over. Perhaps I’m being naïve but surely a record would have been kept. Needless to say I am now looking at the dark art of prop size/pitch to sort out myself as I have no confidence in this particular firm.