Engine Starting/Leisure Batteries

Appledore

Visit site
My Wetline Leisure Marine battery is on its last legs. Removed from the boat yesterday and only 12.1 volts. I bought it in Alderney 8 years ago, and it's been used mainly as the engine starting battery, although I can swap to 'both' batteries if needs be. I think it has lasted quite well really. Looking on the internet for a good deal I've made note of a replacement at a reasonable price, but reading through the information I came across the following:

" ******** leisure batteries are manufactured to the very highest of standards, but to get the very best performance, and longevity out of your batteries it is well worth following a simple care and maintenance program:
  • Always recharge your battery as soon as you can after use after discharge and keep it as fully charged as possible during long periods of in-activity.
  • Please must use Continual Automatic chargers with these batteries such as NUMAX 12V 10A DC Fully Automatic Intelligent Connect & Forget Leisure Battery charger can be left attached to the battery for long periods and will look after your battery at correct state of charge until you need it next.
  • Avoid completely discharging your battery (Below 10.5V) as this will reduce its cyclic lifespan.
  • When the battery is out of the caravan/motor-homes etc., always store it in a cool, dry and well ventilated place.
  • From time to time make sure the terminals are free from dust and dirt, and all connections are sound.
  • Please must not use Trickle charge with these batteries.
  • An equalizing charge for a 12volt battery required that it be charged with a voltage of at least 14.4 volts for a period of at least one hour once a month, or every 10 discharge cycles. An equalizing charge prevents battery stratification and reduces sulfation, the leading cause of battery failure. Equalizing should be performed when a battery is first purchased (called a freshening charge). Reduced performance can also be an indicator that an equalizing charge is needed.
  • All batteries, regardless of their chemistry, will self-discharge. The rate of self-discharge for lead acid batteries depends on the storage or operating temperature. At a temperature of 80 degrees F. A lead acid battery will self-discharge at a rate of approximately 4% a week. A battery with a 125-amp hour rating would self-discharge at a rate of approximately five amps per week. Keeping this in mind if a 125 AH battery is stored for four months (16 weeks) winter without being charged, it will lose 80 amps of its 125-amp capacity. It will also have severe sulfation, which causes additional loss of capacity. Keep your batteries charged while not in use."
What I would like to know please is if any, all or just some of this info is true. For instance, the old battery has never been charged up 'once a month', nor has the other Leisure battery, which is currently 12.6 volts and that's since the Autumn. The only charging the batteries get is from the Alternator whilst the engine is running. Thanks.

ryanroberts

Visit site
I have my solar do equalisation charges in summer, but I have also never had a set of batteries last longer than four years. As a liveworkaboard they get hammered. My starter battery lasted at least 7 though.

rszemeti

Visit site
The very best possible thing you can do for a small boat is to put a couple of small solar panels on it ... one for each battery, or a slightly larger panel with a dual-ouptut controller. Just a couple of simple 10W panels would keep the batteries fully charged when it is not in use and do wonders for the life of them. If you opt for panels with a proper charge controller, even better. Do not expect a small solar panel to be able to recharge a battery from flat, but it will keep them tip-top full and that will do great things for battery life.

halcyon

Visit site
What I would like to know please is if any, all or just some of this info is true. For instance, the old battery has never been charged up 'once a month', nor has the other Leisure battery, which is currently 12.6 volts and that's since the Autumn. The only charging the batteries get is from the Alternator whilst the engine is running. Thanks.

Short / simple answer mostly yes, though very old data, the 14.4 volt charge via alternator would be okay, discaharge to 10.5 volt is a no no. Charge at 11.85 or above in normal use ( on load ), with no load on battery 12.2 volt.

Brian

William_H

Visit site
The life expectancy of a battery is a bit like a human it is a total variable. Yes all of the factors listed theoretically will help. Some if disregarded are more likely to cause failure like discharging or leaving so for long periods. As said your best bet is to hang a small solar panel on the battery full time. But really there are no guarantees. ol'will

ffiill

Visit site
Thank you all. Looks like if I continue doing what I have always done, I shouldn't worry, LOL. Small solar panel is on my list now, thanks.
I have just replaced two out of three of mine. Other than a solar panel trickle charger and little real use they have done about 10 years.