Engine delemas

roly_voya

Visit site
I an looking for advice. I have a Volvo MD2b 25hp with dinastart installed. The engine is low hours in good condition apart from some surfice rust on the starboard side, starts fine dosn't smoke burn oil or show any other signs of wear. I have added an alternator so no problems with charging and the dynastart charges the engine battery only giving totally seperate systems and backup.
The problem is that the engine room and instalation need a lot of improvements, there is no soundproofing so its very noisy, control leavers are badly corroded, there are no monitors, not even an oil warning light fitted and there is an old sump pan and some brackets and fastnings under the engine that need removing/checking. I also want to run a 1.5" bilge pump off the engine (lift is more than a centrifugal pump will cope with). All this means I need to get the engine out this winter.
What I cant decide is wether to give the Volvo a coat of paint and put it back in or fit a new engine. The problem is that this engine hasn't been made for 30 years so spare are a bit of a rarity, on the other had it seems a shame to spend loads of dosh I don't have and chuck a perfectly good engine just because I might not be able to get spare if it breaks down. If I do change engines it will probaly have to be a recon' or suplus stock deal to keep cost down.

OK thats the problem what do you think?

Plans are to do some long range cruising and the boat is being refitted for that, all the above deck and structural work is done just need to sort the accomodation and engine but not planning to set of for 2-3 years. I have been living aboard and will be again after I get the accomodation done but didn't want to live in the caos while doing it.

PS I am an experiences diesel machanic and can do all the work myself so sorting it is not to much of a problem and will only cost the price of a new instrument panel and the pump plus bits.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
Why dont you give the engine a test as if you where buying the boat ?

Check comprision and send an oil sample away for test !

Then make your decision?

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paragon

Visit site
I too had an MD2B until a couple of months ago. Mine, smoked, was noisy, burnt more oil than fuel and was underpowered so replacing it was never really an issue. I did consider an overhaul but, like you, want to extend my cruising area and wanted to sort the problem rather than patch it up. As you say, spares are getting more difficult to get hold of and I didn't want to be in some west coast of France port trying to track down parts for an ageing engine with my limited French adding to the challenge.

I replaced with a Beta 28Hp that is both smaller, quieter, lighter and more economcal than the MD2 and I know has a 2 yr warranty and at the end of the day is based upon commonly available engines worldwide so spares should never be an issue (or expensive!) I also know the history of this engine and can ensure that all the maintenance schedules are kept to etc and that it wont be thrashed rather than an unknown lump that may give me an unknown problem just when I least need it.

That's my two'pennyworth anyway!

<hr width=100% size=1>